Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saving scraped off wax after a hot wax for later use?

Poster: A snowHead
Is the wax that is scraped off your skis when you hot wax them, still usable if it is neatly collected?
Its not that i cant afford more, but you scrape off the majority of the wax, so im wondering if its reusable.
Please share your opinions.
Thank You.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
immax01, i would make two points,

1 i would not use it as it will be contaminated with all sorts, especially if you have tuned edges and not cleared the bench properly [metal edge filings in your base will slow you down and could cause damage]
2 sounds like you could be putting on a bit much, try rubbing the block of wax up and down the ski [heat the base a bit first] a few times then iron in what is there, you can always apply a few more drips if required, there used to be a thing called a waxing fleece available to fit on the iron, this helped with wax usage and smooth aplication [spyderjon will be around soon to say if they are still available, and if he thinks they are any good]
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with CEM - no point in using too much wax.
A poor man's waxing fleece is a J cloth, or any other thin cloth for that matter.
Trying wrapping one around your iron. It'll become wax-impregnated, and can be saved for the next waxing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never seen spyderjon use a cloth like that when he's waxed my skis - I'll be interested to see his response here.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Toko used (maybe still do) sell wax impregnated fleeces, the idea is one sheet per ski.

For the OP - sounds like you're using too much wax in the first place. If your shavings are 100% clean, by all means use them. Mine are never that clean after edging, etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
immax01, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Immac is a depilatory wax - is this a coincidence? wink Big hairless skis?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice one Toofy Grin pam w,
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM's right re the scrapings are likely to become contaminated & that crayoning on the wax first helps not only to protect the base from an accidentally over hot iron but also helps over avoid over application.

Waxing fleece's are still available & they come with all the irons I sell wink . I only use them as a bit of added protection for the base if I'm applying a wax that requires a very high iron temperature. For general use I find waxing fleece's way too messy & all too easy to get contaminated.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
immax01 wrote:
Is the wax that is scraped off your skis when you hot wax them, still usable if it is neatly collected?
Its not that i cant afford more, but you scrape off the majority of the wax, so im wondering if its reusable.

It's reusable, just not for skis. With about 3 quarts' worth in a slow cooker I melted it, poured it through a paint sieve into tall soft-sided plastic pitchers, let it settle out and cool, cut off the still-filthy part with a knife and wound up with about 1.75 quarts worth total of bicycle chain wax. The soft sided pitchers had the added advantage of separating the summer chain wax (stiff and tending to stick to the walls of the pitcher) from the winter chain wax (lighter fractions not likely to flake off the chain and block it from shifting in the cold, these fractions made a last-to-gel cone in the middle of the pitcher). Put the appropriate brick into the cleaned slow cooker, drop the bike chain in - perfect every time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I disagree that contamination of wax is a problem. Wax goes onto a clean ski, if you've made sure that it's wiped down of any ptex or edge shavings before you iron.

Waxing with a cloth around the iron dispenses clean wax, and no contaminants are picked up from the ski. If any minor contaminants were picked up it wouldn't matter - the ski would run just as well, and the contaminants would not enter the ski.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith, but the wax you pick up off the bench could quite easily be contaminated
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You'd have to be very careless to get the iron in contact with the bench. The whole point of waxing with a cloth-wrapped iron is that wax doesn't go on the bench, and there's no scrapings/waste.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, i think we are at crossed meanings

if you have excess wax on the bench which was to be recovered [as the original question] then the wax has been in contact with the bench which could have contaminents on it form edge sharpening etc..... the use of a wax fleece eliminates the excessive use of wax and therefor eliminates the problem in the first place, as there will be no excess wax to recover
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fwiw, most of the contamination captured in the sieve was human hair and fabric fibers, probably initially airborne. I can take snaps next time if anyone's really interested, it's about as disgusting as bath drain clogs. Imagine a 235F drain clog the size of your fist and you'll have it.
No contamination? Heh.

Wax fleece?

Sounds like you lot don't do much hot scrape cleaning: the wax comes off in large curls thinner than paper, often single curls, that are easily caught in the hand and dropped into a bin.
snow conditions
comprex, no problem with hot scrape base cleaning, in fact i would say it is the best way of cleaning the base, just the recovery of wax for use again on the skis which i don't like Little Angel

i prefer to crayon the wax on as spyderjon says to prevent waste and mess
ski holidays
How much do you pay for your wax?

The stuff I get from spyderjon is so cheap I really couldn't be arsed picking it up again.
ski holidays
MM quite right the cost is trivial, if it didn't have random toxic funk in it I'd use it to light the chimenea coals.
snow conditions
immax01, If money is an issue there's plenty of free wax in your ears. Maybe you could collect that in the off-season.
You tight tight tight thing you. Twisted Evil
snow report
If you don't put a dust sheet down - and wax skis in your wife's utility room - you may find that the slate floor has a lovely wax finish afterwards and your wife suggests you don't have to wax her skis again... Toofy Grin
latest report
comprex, what's a quart? NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
... your wife's utility room ...

The controls of a washing machine are not gender specific.
snow report
David Goldsmith, no - but I cunningly sited it in a place where I am unable to stand up!
snow report
stoatsbrother, Laughing Laughing Laughing

parlor, quart =2pints.... quarter of a gallon
snow conditions
CEM, & parlor,
Quote:

quart =2pints.... quarter of a gallon

Perfectly true, but the size of the gallon varies in English or American speak rolling eyes .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy