Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips on boarding deep powder?

Poster: A snowHead
all tips thankfully accepted because I am up to my neck in the old white stuff out here in St Anton, not that I can actually see where I am going or what is up and what is down Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rayscoops, keep your weight forwards
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swirly, Very Happy

I think I will just try a bigger board wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops, just faceplant millions of times Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly wrote:
keep your weight forwards
Shocked Laughing Laughing
rayscoops, don't forget sharper, more aggressive turns as well. let us know how you go. the blackberry is waterproof, right?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
speed speed speed, don't even think of a turn until you are flying.
Move your bindings back as well, not that I do that, I go for the speed speed speed option.

try some inside leg extension as well wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
as you enter the powder from the piste, lean really far forward snowHead

Then when your mates have stopped laughing at you, they will dig you out Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cheers guys, well ........ simple, do not stop, do not turn, do not do anything but go straight and fast. I stopped I got stuck, I turned I got stuck, no more - momentum is my friend, snow is my friend, i just want to see where the feck I am going once in a while

Knee deep on piste (laugh - nothing is pisted here) waste deep in the drifts and edges, and only piste open from Galzig Gondola is the black !!!! This is serious pow- still dumping big time as I type. Today seemed like the day to try out my recent ebay Ride 164 Yukon, but a bit too wide for me on the few cat tracks I have to take but top banana on the pow, just rides up out of the flffy stuff when i put a bit of back foot gas down, swapped to my Flow instead at 2 pm - I have set my binding waaaayyyyyy back and it is flying, this is what boarding is all about Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, once you get out in deep powder there's no going back.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Knee deep on piste (laugh - nothing is pisted here) waste deep in the drifts and edges, and only piste open from Galzig Gondola is the black !!!! This is serious pow- still dumping big time as I type. Today seemed like the day to try out my recent ebay Ride 164 Yukon, but a bit too wide for me on the few cat tracks I have to take but top banana on the pow, just rides up out of the flffy stuff when i put a bit of back foot gas down, swapped to my Flow instead at 2 pm - I have set my binding waaaayyyyyy back and it is flying, this is what boarding is all about

Now there's one happy guy! What a great post.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
blue sky today, big fresh tracks to be had all morning at the side and between pistes, hard turns worked great, plus not stopping did the trick. One thing, never enter powder riding switch unless you intend leaving powder riding switch, because switching back is not as easy as it seems and may (did) result in all sorts of interesting results. Great fun and strange that tracks in pow look so shallow until you actually fall in it Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops wrote:
One thing, never enter powder riding switch unless you intend leaving powder riding switch,

noob NehNeh
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry to hear your trip sucks so bad. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, perhaps you'd find it easier to learn to ski?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, glad your having a good trip and posting here telling us so ... I hate you I hate you
snow conditions
David Murdoch, nah, all the skiers were just following each others tracks - what is the fun of that wink apart from the really good ones who seemed to be making up for a lack of pow last season, some seriously good skiers and boarders around here, must be locals rather than Brits Very Happy

DebbiDoesSnow, today the pistes were nice soft fluffy snow and great for boarding, you would have loved it Very Happy

After two years (not seasons) boarding and completely avoiding anything that is remotely likely to drag you up a slope (icy black or drag, give me the black please any day) I gave leave to my senses and had a go on one of those blasted button contraption thingies - finally mastered the blighter but the downside of three powder days is that the button thingie was cocooned in a tunnel of snow and resembled something that you would normally ride at Alton Towers. Shocked falling off and getting out was difficult and the resultant powder spills on to the track by similar poor souls only added to the fun of the ride Very Happy
snow conditions
rayscoops, It sounds like a dream, hope tignes is like that in Jan. Good one on the drags, I've got a friend that refuses point blank to do them in case he falls off! hope you have some energy left for some apres Laughing
ski holidays
not green with envy... honest...
ENJOY!!!!
30 days and counting till Chamonix... mayb should get board out again just to check its ok!!!!!
ski holidays
rayscoops, I think you've just cost me £600 -- reading all this has just forced me to book an extra weekend in Jan for me and Miss Snojito. Is it just me or do budgets, holiday allowance and willpower just go out of the window when people start talking about powder?? snowHead

Debbi, I know exactly how your friend feels...
latest report
heh - where're you gonna go then fella?

I'm soooo excited about Ishgl now! Find my feet (and board!) in Tahoe, rinse out in Ishgl and then perfect in Val Thorens... Very Happy
snow report
snojito, LOL I thought you were a miss snojito Embarassed

If you don't do drags you can miss some good pistage. In flaine you had to do the most evil drag ( massive air on take off Shocked ) just to get to the park
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, I promise you, I would make one UGLY 6ft, 14 stone, stubble-encrusted girl. Laughing

truespin, the two best deals we can find for the weekend that we can go are VT or Tignes. There's only £20 in it (with VT being the pricier) and frankly we're having trouble deciding -- if it's alright to hijack the thread for a second, any of our fellow snowHead 's got any preferences?
snow report
Go to VT then you can give me the heads-up on the best runs for when I go in April Wink
snow conditions
snojito, ooooo yes thats a scary mental image ! I think its your location that made me think you were a miss. god knows why.
I'm off to Tignes in Jan so thats a bit late for a recommendation. But if you look at the Tignes trip report & resorts threads there are some good pics in there and everyone is raving about it.
snow report
Austria - you can not beat it - pow, good beer, sticky cakes, 80's dodgy music, moustached women and that DJ Ottzi guy - classic

Rained all day below 2200 meters with blizzards above except for the last 2 hours when it cleared and pow was to be had, lashing down again now.

On a serious note the ground here was not very cold when the snow came and it is slabbing and sliding off at the steep slopes around the resort level pistes, I was just finishing off a choppy deep snow red piste back to the resort and nearly boarded into a pot hole the full depth of the snow base, did a nifty little jump over it to save my bacon.
latest report
rayscoops. does lashing down = rain or snow?? ( I guess the former??)
latest report
Kitenski - raining just like in Wales
snow report
Raining.....????? Oh no, and I was getting excited about St Anton. Go away nasty rain Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But snow up top
snow conditions
Forecast looking good tho...hopefully as I need to find some powder if I'm going to get achieve this season's goal of learnig to turn in powder as opposed to straight down Very Happy
ski holidays
Shiet, as I get back to my digs it is dumping it down, looks like I may have to put my bindings on the ol' Yukon after brekkie
ski holidays
Some pics in mediazone if you want a look
latest report
Not much snow is there? must be so boring
latest report
If you're talking really deep uncompressed powder snow I guess that's when a board could outperform a fat pair of skis because it must 'float' more easily - yes?
ski holidays
Megamum, yes
snow report
try riding a swallow tail or a fish in such conditions, then you really do just surf!

glad your having a pow fest, we had one today too and are hoping to have another one tomorrow!
latest report
Megamum wrote:
If you're talking really deep uncompressed powder snow I guess that's when a board could outperform a fat pair of skis because it must 'float' more easily - yes?

No, a board will always outperform skis. wink
ski holidays
stab, much better answer !
ski holidays
It dumped down all day today and I am all powdered out,six days of every type of weather and conditions imaginable and I leave tomorrow back to sunny Wales. I am knackered.
snow report
Try a Rossignol B2, apparently the way to learn to ski powder. Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy