Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving versus standard technique

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What are the essential differences on current skis between the carving technique and standard/historical technique? Carving technique I understand as projecting both knees into the turn with appropriate angulation of the body thus putting both skis on their edges which seems pretty much what I have been attempting to do for more years than I care to mention (first skied at Glenshee with cable bindings). This may well have been covered so if someone can direct me to a particularly useful post I would be most grateful.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some threads for you to be going on with:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20336

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23534

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=18921

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11554

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26816
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lordjohn, Welcome to snowheads - see you haven't had many posts! Yes - you're probably right in that you may well have been trying to achieve it for years. The difference is that now you actually can, and quite easily. The main difficulty for peeps from the old school is the idea of putting the ski on it's edge right at the start of the turn and not taking all the pressure off it at all - that's a bit wierd when you learnt hoppity up-unweighting. (speak from personal experience). Also, often a problem is keeping your feet sufficiently far apart all the time.

You can incline a lot further into the turn on modern skis (more support) than you could on straight skis, and all the movement should start from the foot and go up the leg rather than start from the hip and move down.

Hopefully this helps a bit. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many thanks to you both. The posts will keep me going for a while,veeeight..sorry but when I searched I was overwhelmed by pages. Charlotte (if I may be so bold)..you give it to me in a nutshell!

John
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you can tip the ski on edge, rotate the skis, or blend the two movements.

in terms of historical technique.....one could tip the ski on edge, however, it had to be bent to form a template resulting in a turn. i other words straight skis tipped on edge went.........straight!

consider tipping and turning two polar extremes..........different biases

carving is done in a manner to preclude rotating or turning.

hope my $00.02 helps
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, any recommended ways of not unweighting so much? It just still feels so natural to unweight but of course if you do so, and you still manage to carve your turn, you're only doing so on one edge, not two.

If it's just a case of mind over matter, I could have a long way to go!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zammo, It depends - if you're up-unweighting as we used to then you can't be skiing arc to arc as you will have the ski flat and almost inevitably pivot at the entry to the turn. I find one of the best exercises for old schoolers is to leave your poles at the bottom of the lift. Ski with your feet RIDICULOUSLY wide (they'll only feel like that probably) and with your hands flat inside your knees. to start a turn pull your inside knee to the inside of the new turn using your hand to help. If you do this you really feel the edge bite and the ski set off. Gradually you can try with poles and then standing up etc. Takes a while but seems to work better than anything else I've tried. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:
The main difficulty for peeps from the old school is the idea of putting the ski on it's edge right at the start of the turn and not taking all the pressure off it at all

Yeah, that's the part I found hardest to get my head round too. I also find it more important than ever to have well maintained edges on modern skis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zammo wrote:
easiski, any recommended ways of not unweighting so much? It just still feels so natural to unweight but of course if you do so, and you still manage to carve your turn, you're only doing so on one edge, not two.

If it's just a case of mind over matter, I could have a long way to go!

the best response that i have ever heard concerning the efficacy of unweigthing went something like this;

"why move up when our goal is to go down.........hill."

or

"the only time one wants to move up is on a lift"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy