Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recovery from Shoulder Operation

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

George Owen's much better half here, Claire

I have just had an Arthroscopy of the shoulder with buractomy & acromioplasty (19th Nov). I am wondering if anyone knows what the likleyhood of being able to ski from 27th Dec is - arrival date in Tignes!

I have been told to keep my sling on for two weeks (nearly up) but my physio does not seem to think I will be OK for christmas. I am very surprised at this and thought that recovery would be much quicker. Am I being naive or is my physio being over cautious?

My range of movement is about 90% now but with 5/10 pain level when doing my exercises.

I would appreciate any feedback from any skiing doctors or indeed anyone who has had the same op.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
george owen,
I would contact the surgeon who did the operation and ask them directly. You can always ask specifically: What are the risks from skiing to my shoulder? rather than just: Can I do it?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mrs george owen (Claire), T Bar is quite right. Get you partner to talk to his surgeon.
I am continually amazed at the number of people who post here asking for opinions about their operations - why don't people ask their surgeons?

Usually patients are given precise intructions on how to manage their shoulder after this operation: Arthroscopic subacromial bursectomy and acromioplasty.
This is not a minor operation. No way.
Scroll down to bottom of link for comments on Postoperative program
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dont forget to also check with your insurance company because although a surgeon has said somebody can do something the insurance policy may not cover you/him Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T Bar,
Thanks for your advice - I will try and ask the specific question

Jonpim,
Thanks for the link and advice. I will try and get further advice from the surgeon but I am not due back to see him until 15th Jan - a long time after my planned ski trip. I am fairly sure that he will not want to give specific advice without seeing me again and being a National Health patient I am sure I will have to wait for my alloted appointment.

Before the operation I told him that I planned to ski at Christmas, he lead me to believe that I would be ok by then. I am due for futher shoulder surgery but he said that he would "wait until the snow melts" before the next op - this gave me the confidence to go ahead with this one - it is only the physio's comment that have concerned me.

Neither my Physio or surgeon are skiers which was one of the reasons I have sought advice here.

Linds,
Thanks, I was thinking about that. I thought I would talk to them in a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Claire
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
george owen wrote:
............ being a National Health patient I am sure I will have to wait for my alloted appointment..........

I expect you could have a private appointment to see him. Not cheap, but not expensive in relation t a skiing holiday, particularly one that could go wrong.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
george owen, I understand your confusion. But it is much better to have things explicit. I suspect you were worried that a direct question would have got the wrong answer, so you went with the "Well, he didn't say no . . ." wink .

achilles suggests asking for a private consultation. This should be unecessary. A phone call to his secretary and a letter (I would do both) should be enough. You are asking a perfectly sensible question, even if rather late.
Your insurance company is going to ask what was the surgeons advice, so you are going to have to contact him anyway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Linds, george owen, in reference to the insurance cover thing chances are they won't cover the damaged part of the shoulder if injured-I had my knee checked out and they found a bakers cyst in my knee (not cruciate ligament damage as expected) and i phoned endsleigh and they said they would cover my knee, just not if the cyst was to "burst" so to speak-a risk im willing to take!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rossfra8, I had a similar experience following an ankle injury whilst in the States. The insurance wouldnt cover that ankle for a few months so I took out Carte nege (sp) in resort (which is only a few euro's a day) so I knew in the event of any problems I could get off the mountain but I was fine anyway snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, yes, I can see your way is worth a pop - and would hopefully get the required advice. I do think that george owen should think of a private consultation if need be, though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again for this great advice. Really helpful.

By the way I am under instruction from George to say again - this is not his shoulder we are talking about ( I think he is to machio for an injury Laughing ) I have just logged on as him.

Cheers
Claire
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whoops! Sorry Claire. I was the first to make that mistake.
(I'm always having trouble mixing up the boys and girls Embarassed ).

Related question: did your anaesthetist offer you a regional anaesthetic?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim, No problem.

They told me from the outset that I would need a general anaesthetic. They also gave me a block anaesthetic which made my arm & hand numb for about 20 hours. Strange feeling but really helped the pain control! They also give the block anaesthetic to patients who are usually sick after the operation, it worked for me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
george owen (Claire), Interesting.
Would you have liked to be awake for the operation if they had offered it?
If the procedure is done arthroscopically, you can watch the whole operation on the telly screen (if you want to).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonpim,

Not sure about that. Part of me would because I am the sort of person who likes information and I sure it aids recovery when you understand what you are recovering from so your link to the website was really helpful.

However I would be concerned that half way through I would change my mind!
ski holidays
george owen, changing your mind would not be a problem.
Mind you, no one in my experience ever has.
Once you see your shoulder on the screen, you are rivetted.
The only complaints are if someone gets in the way Smile
latest report
george owen,

Just ski with your arm in a sling, makes for some interesting skiing and makes you concentrate on every turn. Toofy Grin
latest report
dbiggins,

Good plan, do you think people would feel sorry for me and let me jump the queue at the lift? Just noticed you are in the USA, you don't hae queues do you? Smile
snow report
george owen,

Well they certainly did not in France last year, they just looked at me strangely, like why are you skiing. No queues here, just lines, I prefer queues being an expat. Good luck with the shoulder
ski holidays
george owen, Whatever you decide to do, I would just suggest you take care. Ive dislocated my left shoulder x4, & right shoulder x1. I ended up having surgery to left shoulder longer ago than I care to remember. But I found it took longer to get back to normal activity than I expected, & my balance was out. So while working with the physio to regain movement of the shoulder, dont forget to work on your core stability as well wink
Good luck with it all, anyway
ski holidays
geri, how is the left shoulder now, I have done it 4 times as well, last time at the EOSB, and have avoided the surgery approach. Am seriously considering it though, especially when I get that twinge when I over stretch etc.
snow report
dbiggins, Well, the op was done in 1972 & since then I suspect they have improved the operation they do. I had a Putti Platt. Its pretty good, & considering I had no post-op physio,I've got a reasonable range of movement in it. Interestingly it improved considerably when I had a course of training sessions with a personal trainer a couple of years ago. Given how easily it was dislocating prior to surgery, I have no regrets & it was definately the right thing for me to have done at the time. I would be wiser with my post-op care now though
I'll be interested to hear what you decide to do about it
snow report
geri, Cheers, will let you know
ski holidays
Anyone contemplating shoulder surgery might be interested in Tom Unger's experience. Smile
ski holidays
Jonpim, Interesting Smile I forgot to mention that I was left with parasthesia in half of my hand following my surgery, & I have altered sensation in it to this day Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy