Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Basel to St Gervais

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having cocked up my reservation with 'AirMichelle', I'm now flying into Basel for half term with a friends child and accommodation booked in St Gervais.

Plan A is to get SBB to Geneva gare then SNCF from Geneva (Eaux Vives I think) to La Fayet, where hopefully my OH will meet us. The first part seems easy enough, but the Geneva - La Fayet leg appears both irregular and rather tortuous.

Anyone got a better travel plan? I was thinking maybe there is a better French destination station that my OH could meet us at that has a more regular 'express' service from Geneva (or alternative, easy to get to from Basel) which is en route from Grenoble (his entry point) to St Gervais without too much of a detour.

Also if Plan A is still the way to go, any idea how much time I need to leave between connections to get from Basel airport to Basel rail and Geneva 'Gare' to Eaux Vives ( assuming they are different places)

Thanks oh wise ones.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Annie,

Get to Martigny and then go via the Chamonix train to Le Feyette. It will be long and tedious but at least it is joined up...

Getting to St G from Geneva is all over the shop, I think, via Cluses.

Or if it is a Sat, try and jump on a St G coach from Geneva airport...but I doubt they will want to drop you off where you want to be dropped off and this is just too much messing around unless travelling pretty light..ie, not carrying skis and a big bag.

Re Basel, it is a good 20 minute bus ride which is cheap and frequent air to train, so I'd allow for an hour. Get a quote from a taxi and decide whether 40chf is worth it. The bus is about 4..!!!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Annie, SBB to Geneve and then get a bus from there to Le Fayet, www.altibus.com . Trains out of Geneva towards France seem a bit of a non-starter to me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would definatley recomend bus from Geneva to St Gervais www.sat-montblanc.com or www.borini.com timetables and booking on the internet also leave from the airport and geneva centre. the train is desperate .
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cant get any of these sites to take a dstinations atm...but I'd be interested in Geneva - Chamonix return
latest report
 brian
brian
JT, alpybus.com Not used them myself though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT's route is probably the most straightforward, if you have a child with you try to minimise the number of changes, rather than the quickest time
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Annie, have a look on www.sbb.ch

As JTsays, the easiest option from them involves Basel - Morges - Martigny - St Geravis (so only 2 changes)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian,

Got it now, thanks, and they run very early so I have booked my TVG to Geneva now.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, I'll have a look at plans B - Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Annie,

To get to Geneva from Basle by train may...may, take upto 4 hours, IIRC and then you still have an hour on the bus to St Gervais, altho' less in a car.
If you can get to Martigny, then you still have an hour on the Chamonix train at least, to Le Feyette.

Plan C would be to hire a car..!! Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, a quick skip through the SBB and Cham train sites does indeed confirm the wisdom of Snowheads ( I was never in any doubt really!) Basel - Martigny - Le Fayet is indeed the best route, works reasonably well timetable wise and is probably not one I would have found easily singlehanded, so thanks again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy