Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

[2009 Update] Ski Club of Great Britain AGM: The patron saint of snowHeads becomes Chairman

Poster: A snowHead
Just a brief update to say that the competition prize has now arrived:

A copy of the first edition of 'The Avalanche Enigma', by Colin Fraser (300 pages, published in 1966 by John Murray). Once owned by the Jordanhill College of Education, this ex-library copy (legitimately acquired, I hasten to add) has the original dustjack, protected in a plastic sleeve. [It's in significantly better condition than the dog-eared copy I own!] For those who don't know the book it's a classic of of its era, with plenty of content on the causes and forms of avalanches, remarkable death and survival stories, rescue and recovery methods etc. The core chapter, for those who like gripping accounts of dramatic storms, is 'Winter of Terror' - a 28-page narrative of the blizzards and huge snowfalls that brought destruction and death to the Alps in January 1951. Fraser highlights this as the 'storm of the century', likening it only to the catastrophic winters of 1689, 1720 and 1889. It's a reminder of just how serious things can get in ski resorts when the gods really turn against us. Fraser's writing is compelling and authoritative - he worked for the ski patrol in Davos, and the internationally renowned Avalanche Institute in the same resort.

To capture a chance of winning this famous book, flip back to page 4, and simply post a date below. The competition closes on 20 December.

I'm currently in negotiation with the chief executive of a leading ski insurance brand, with a view to adding a free pen to this prize. If this free pen does not materialize then a contingency strategy will be actioned.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, Could you not have just nicked a copy from the SCGB library.

Save yourself a few bob.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[I should point out that Latchigo is a fellow member of the Schnauzer Club of Great Britain, where we meet each year in the library for the annual general meeting. The schnauzer is not known as a avalanche dog, and I think he's getting a bit confused.]
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett wrote:
riverman wrote:
bertie bassett, The DHO membership is not so quite "Hooray Henry" these days as the On the Piste programme .

that's good then - as they definitely came across in On the Piste like that

On the Piste was a long time ago. But it's still good television Smile

On the subject of family memberships, the DHO have gone the same way as SCGB. It's a good thing and simple common sense. Why throw family members out at a point in their lives (age 21 or 22, just after leaving uni) when they can least afford the subs? At least keeping them on the books until 25 gives them half a chance of being able to afford personal membership should they want it.

As for the remainder of this debate, I shall withdraw. We have no such issues in The Ski Club Of Wengen NehNeh
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to remind everyone, the competition for guessing the date on which the 2008 minutes of the SCGB AGM minutes will appear is still very much live, except that entries closed on 20 December. The final entries were:

Quote:

Smokin Joe: 15 March 2009
Latchigo: 14 January 2009
DB: 1 April 2009
Bode Swiller: 20 December 2008
Levitt: 15 July 2009
stoatsbrother: 19 January 2009

So, Swiller has lost. It's currently a play-off between Latchigo and stoatsbrother, if the minutes appear in the next few days. stoatsbrother is then up against Smokin Joe until the mid-point between 19 January and 15 March.

The tension is rising.

Unofficial entries are, of course, welcome at this stage but only the above entrants are eligible for the prize.

Latchigo wrote:
David Goldsmith, Could you not have just nicked a copy from the SCGB library.

Save yourself a few bob.

Has it occurred to you that books within the SCGB library may be marked and traceable? [I hope they are!]
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
... and it's stoatsbrother now in the lead, followed by Smokin Joe and DB on his white Lipizzaner stallion of Vienna.

Exactly two months on from the AGM, and no sign of the minutes just yet. On last year's form they may not appear until August, so let's not get excited.

Riding a constitutional horse, for a moment, is it a good idea for democratic organisations to have time limits by which minutes of AGMs must appear? Your views are invited.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, We don't care. It's a matter for the SCGB and its forum. If you are still not allowed in to that - write - make a phone call - visit C S-T herself. Heck, you're a member: ask not what your club can do for you, ask what you can do for your club - offer to do the typing. Whatever you want really - except boring us with SCGB admin stuff.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 27-01-09 10:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, "we"?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles wrote:
... ask not your club can do for you, ask what you can do for your club.

You left out the first "what". President JFK didn't.

You're just slagging me off because you forgot to enter the competition. Meany!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith, 'sin now. In your case, sin no more. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry, you've lost me. When do you reckon the minutes will appear?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At the risk of irritating achilles yet again, here's a brief update on the situation, three months after the AGM:

No sign of the minutes, as yet. Half the field - Bode Swiller, Latchigo and stoatsbrother - are now out of it. Smokin Joe gets the prize if the minutes bloom between now and 23 March. Then DB is up for it.

My money's on the Austro-Mancunian stallion.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, yes, clearly going to be a DB victory. Far too much good skiing to be had in the next 3 weeks. Wimbledon will be a ghost town while they're all out flexing their wristbands at people. Bookmakers normally pay out early under such circumstances.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller wrote:
David Goldsmith, yes, clearly going to be a DB victory.

Dream on - Levitt will get it by being the only one within shouting distance of Aug-Sept, which is when they will come out, as per usual.
snow report
There certainly reaches a critical point at which DB has the race to himself, because there's over 3 months between his punt (1 April) and Levitt's (15 July). With DB's knee on the mend I'm expecting him to charge like the f**king Light Brigade.

That said, Smokin Joe has his eyes on the winning post for almost a month now.

There's everything to play for.
snow conditions
I wonder whether anyone in Wimbledon was watching this - guess what turned up today!!!!

Congratulations Smokin Joe
latest report
GrahamN wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

Dream on - Levitt will get it by being the only one within shouting distance of Aug-Sept, which is when they will come out, as per usual.

This is one bet I'm happy to have lost.
snow report
Congratulations, Smokin Joe.
I've PMed you.
latest report
I just like to say that I learned something from this defeat, like I say, know what i mean, innit? Just because I'd done the lottery once or twice lulled me into believing that I could compete at this level, like I say, know what i mean, innit?. Clearly not, like I say, know what i mean, innit?. Sometimes you just have to admit you're not good enough, like I say, know what i mean, innit?. Congratulations to Smokin Joe, I'll certainly be reviewing the tapes to see just how he did it, like I say, know what i mean, innit?.
ski holidays
Now a new bet. How many pages of debate about the aforementioned minutes before DG spontaneously ignites. I reckon 8. Prize is an all expenses paid trip by donkey cart to the EOSB (certain Ts&Cs apply, mainly that the donkey is already soap)
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, will the soap be environmentally friendly - and capable of powering a Saab?
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:

Remember folks - its a marathon, not a sprint ! Laughing
snow report
Smokin Joe, it was also a game of two halves. I'm as sick as a parrot. The ref had a shocker.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy