Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

[2009 Update] Ski Club of Great Britain AGM: The patron saint of snowHeads becomes Chairman

Poster: A snowHead
David Goldsmith,
I am sure they will arrive as a birthday treat for yourself, so whenever that day is is my prediction. Happy reading.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Additional terms and conditions: (5) Only one date may be specified by each registered snowHeads user. (5b) Any obvious sock puppets are disqualified from entry.
(5c) Entries will only be accepted from those of reading age.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, arent you against people changing T&Cs after the event.

I have already made my guess and now you have changed the T&Cs Evil or Very Mad

I also find I'm disqulaified because I'm not of reading age.........

Can you pay me for my entry ? Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Smokin Joe, unless you were planning to enter twice I can't see how rules 5 and 5b can be in anything but your best interests.

You've a choice of over 350 dates (estimate) before the next AGM - when the Club is duty-bound to present the minutes for approval - so please don't feel spoilt for choice (which I suspect is your real reason for not giving a date).

Just go for it. Your odds of winning will be determined by the number of entries received and your skill and wisdom in predicting the date. Only 3 entries so far, so stop smokin and start enterin. It's a great book.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, you should be an MP ! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, but, "Who wants to be a mega-pixel?"
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Can you pay me for my entry ?

Smokin Joe, David Goldsmith, anything you guys want to tell us?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Absolutely.

Your mind is pure filth, Swiller.

Here's a clue, Swiller: don't choose a date that's a Saturday or Sunday, because only a fool would go into the office to send out the minutes during the weekend.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:
(4) Can't think of any more terms and conditions.
There is a god!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith wrote:
It's a great book.

And the winner will then.....know more about avalanches on the Sussex Downs than they could previously have thought possible Laughing .
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, that person will get precisely two paragraphs about an avalanche on the South Downs! An astutely-informed guess though, Graham.
What sounds like a copy in decent condition is on its way here.

Here's some info about the author:
http://www.oldpond.com/acatalog/colin_fraser.htm

By deduction, that means he was 31 when he published the book - a remarkable achievement - and now (presumably) enjoying a lively retirement.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ahhhh... 1966. They had proper avalanches back then. None of this fluffy "trying to get out alive nonsense", everyone just died where they stopped, suffocated, broken in bits. It were champion. Well, David Goldsmith, despite the tumbleweed so far blowing on by your competition, I think you'll be inundated with at least another vote now that we know more about the prize.

30th February.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Supplementary terms and conditions: (6) Entries stating 29th, 30th or 31st February qualify for our runner-up prize: 'Understanding Senility: a Layperson's Guide'
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:
(4) Can't think of any more terms and conditions.
There is a god!
Apparently not.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd put it down to an act of mod
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
Just guess the date on which you predict the minutes of the SCGB 2008 Annual General Meeting will be published on the SCGB website and/or emailed to members (earliest date applies):

Since the Club apparently promised improved communication going forward, I will posit July 15th.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
I'd put it down to an act of mod

When I signed up to your competition I read the T&Cs and you have now changed them twice rolling eyes
ski holidays
I haven't changed them - I've extended them.
ski holidays
Is the date I posted now owned by me or do I just own the copyright?
snow report
MP !
snow conditions
So here are the competition entries 'to date':
Quote:

Smokin Joe: 15 March 2009
Latchigo: 14 January 2009
DB: 1 April 2009
Bode Swiller: 30 February 2009
Levitt: 15 July 2009

So there's everything to play for.

Additional terms and conditions: (7) In the event of an error, or for any other reason, you may change your entered date up to the closing date of the competition (20 December 2008). In the event that the SCGB issues its AGM minutes by or before that date, then the competition will be terminated and the prize awarded to the person who entered the date closest to 20.12.2008. (8 ) No correspondence will be entered into.
latest report
I now predict 20.12.2008 - my previous entry is null and void as it is obviously an inadmisable date.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Is the date I posted now owned by me or do I just own the copyright?

That's a matter of legal interpretation of the rules, and I'm not a lawyer. The Ts and Cs are intended to give you copyright of the date you've chosen and enable you to exploit it commercially, in the form of newspaper production, milk cartons, rock concerts, 'date in a box', speed-dating, and anything else on your chosen date. Good luck with your venture.
snow report
David Goldsmith, 19/1/2009

I also predict you will disagree with them. Toofy Grin
snow report
David Goldsmith, so, if I "own" the date I've chosen, does this mean I am free to sell that date on, say, Ebay? Having sold it am I free to chose another date and then sell that etc etc ad infinitum? Can dates be split? ie up to noon and afternoon? Can I form a consortium to buy dates and, if so, do you have a template for a simple partnership agreement so that sharing the prize can be facilitated? If there is a dispute, what courts have juristiction? What is the complaints procedure? What happens if you are hit by a school run 4x4? Frankly your Ts & Cs are woefully inadequate.
latest report
David Goldsmith, Of course Admin actually owns the copyright to this competiton information - which is likely to draw in huge numbers of people to see his shiny new ads... I am sure this will make you very happy!
snow conditions
stoatsbrother wrote:
David Goldsmith, 19/1/2009

I also predict you will disagree with them. Toofy Grin

This year, each contributor to the meeting was asked to speak into a mobile microphone and the meeting was additionally videoed from the back of the room (so that footage will capture the contributions of the Club's chief officers etc.). So I think the Club has every intention of recording things faithfully and correctly, and I wouldn't question its good faith retrospectively in that regard.

The SCGB is hardly unique in facing issues concerning minutes (which are not easy to record, since some editing has to occur to make them readable). Hansard is everyone's benchmark, but it is seriously resourced.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
David Goldsmith, Of course Admin actually owns the copyright to this competiton information ...

My father once asked me if I intended to be a doctor or a lawyer (actually, that's not true, he was dead set on me being a scribbler).

I shall be sure to pop into your surgery for legal advice next time I have an ear infection.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, I suggest you should split your dates into am and pm, package them up and then market them as date-backed bonds. You should then trouser the cash and run away before the sh+t hits the fan.
latest report
In the SKGB minutes, will the real names of the individuals be recorded or their sock puppet name on snowheads?
snow report
Lizzard, Derivatives. I like the idea. It means that the same dates, backed by default insurance, could effectively be sold over and over again until we don't know who actually owns it or how toxic it is. Then David Goldsmith would eventually need bailing out by the Treasury while you and I are supping champagne cocktails in the Bahamas on route to our heli-ski lodge.
snow report
Bode Swiller, it's a plan! Laughing
snow report
DB, real names, but not necessarily those of the people actually making the contribution Wink
ski holidays
Quote:

This year, each contributor to the meeting was asked to speak into a mobile microphone and the meeting was additionally videoed from the back of the room (so that footage will capture the contributions of the Club's chief officers etc.)
I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see this YouTube
snow report
I suspect it's locked in a vault, but here are the financial and legal advisors for this thread ...

http://youtube.com/v/C-zR2pM_S5U

... with a topical comment on terms and conditions: "You can't fool me. There ain't no sanity clause".
ski holidays
At the risk of reigniting dying embers, I followed the link above to read about the Club's changes, and just had to laugh at the following:

"Environmental issues also came up, with members asking what steps the Club was taking towards being more environmentally conscious. Jane Billington explained that many of the Ski Freshtracks holidays now don’t include flights, so members can make their own, greener choices about how to travel to the slopes. "

I think even New Labour would think twice about this 'spin'.... claiming that holidays are now greener as the flights aren't included.... what are customers supposed to do, swim?
oh, and you can hear the tumbleweed blowing thro most of their forum's too....

(I was also going to post about the suspected low numbers watching ski tv.... but it's like shooting a barrel of fish.
As an aside, this may all have been prompted by an expression I heard yesterday "headcount is in a downward flight trajectory".... quoted from a DWP memo on headcount reductions.... almost as good as a recent banks description of a loss as a 'negative increment event'.)
but I digress......
snow conditions
hamilton,
Quote:
what are customers supposed to do, swim?

I believe there is something called the train. The Train is generally regarded to be greener than the plane. So it follows that the customers, by virtue of having a choice, decide for themselves how green they want to be. I bet if the SCGB forced people to take the train there would be complaints.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 4-12-08 21:41; edited 2 times in total
snow report
hamilton, it's not quite clear where you're quoting that text from: please clarify the link.

As for Ski TV figures, these were discussed last year. The original projection was a £45,000 annual budget, against a usage of 30,000 viewers/subscribers (£1.50 each per annum). Obviously the 'viability'/relevance of Ski TV hinges on the equation of paying viewers (SCGB members viewing it, plus non-members paying the £10 sub) against cost. It's said to be a low-cost operation. Other aspects of the Club's services are much more costly.
snow report
P.S. On the eco travel point, I'm inclined to agree that individual skiers make their own decisions about travel (air v train etc) and can be as accountable as they want to be. On the SCGB Environmental Group we took an early decision not to lecture people about what they should do. I'm personally more concerned with the Club's own directed operations: rep travel and operational travel. Clearly, here, there are more opportunities for SCGB influence and control, vis-a-vis the Club's published environmental policies and guidance.
snow report
Quote:

I think even New Labour would think twice about this 'spin'.... claiming that holidays are now greener as the flights aren't included.... what are customers supposed to do, swim?

I'm taking the train for my Freshtracks holiday. They claim it's "zero carbon". I doubt it really is but it won't be as bad as a plane.

Mind you, the flights were included for this particular holiday...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy