Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen Question: Location of accomodation when traveling with kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
2 families travelling with 5 children in mid-Jan - Children aged 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.....

Booking accomadation independently. This accomodation ACHILLEA / Mutti looks ideal locationwise. It is situated in the middle of Wengen. The shops, children's playground and Maennlichen station are only 80 m respectively 100 m away and the train station is nearby.
One line in the description is slightly worrying "The south facing house has noise prevention due to the closeness of the train (the tracks are just a couple of meters below the house).

IS this a concern?

Considering we have a number of young children is this better than somewhere like ROOSSI / Apt. I which is located at the south edge of the village in a calm surrounding. On foot it takes you 5-7 minutes to the railway.

Opinions and local knowlewdge appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not sure I'm afraid but I think a quick skim through this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=433 should give you the answer. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
train noise is not a problem as they stop around midnight and start back up at 7am ish.
I don't know where achillea is, saying that finding the silberhorn is hard work for me.
The roosi apartments are alright, had family stay there once. It is quiet down there and it's just behind the main street.

Be aware that I sometimes get places mixed up but I'm sure the roosi is where I think it is, no way it's 5-7 minutes to the train though, unless you have one leg I suppose.
When I get home next week I'll double check on the names, I really am crap with place names, unless you have a map for me to see?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ado, Ok the Rossi Appartments are on the road to InnerWengen definately a quiet location and under the right circumstances possible to ski back to, however it will take you a good 5 minutes to walk up the hill from there in the morning, longer if you are wearing ski boots, I know because as a child I used to stay in a chalet just up the road from there.

The Achillea is as you say right in the center, I wouldn't worry to much about the trains, they're pretty quiet anyway and I suspect with added sound insulation you will hardly notice them, the biggest plus is that you have no distance really to walk to get anywhere in the village a great bonus with young kids
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've stayed in the Achillea building a few times. The noise is not a problem - in fact your kids will love watching the trains rattle past. The noise insulation works very well - the trains actually pass well below the apartment (bottom of a little embankment).

The location couldn't be more perfect. The Achillea and it's sister apartments (Krokus, Primula etc) are on a path (no traffic - not even electrowagens) that runs parallel to the main street. It's just a 100 metre walk to the ski-school meeting place and the station.

You can ski back to within about 200 metres of the apartment - make that 100 metres if you use the nursery slope for the last bit.

It's really one of the very best locations in the village. Stick with it.

Achillea is one of the 3 small buildings on the right of the picture:

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ado,

Wengen is a quiet location and the electric trains are very quiet - not to be confused with a big diesel mainline train. Night time noise isn't a problem in Wengen. Any of the locations you mentioned are suitable for kids. I agree with Telford Mike however that the Achillea might be easier as you have less walking to do etc.

I hope that you have a great holiday. The character of the place is great.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have none of you ever heard the brakes squealing on those trains Shocked Mind you.....the whole valley hears them, so i guess it doesn't make any difference to accommodation choice wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
telford_mike, that pic makes Wengen look nice Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Brookes wrote:
telford_mike, that pic makes Wengen look nice Very Happy Very Happy

It always looks nice rolling eyes NehNeh snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can see my house in that pic Smile
and the roosli is nowhere near where I thought it was Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy