Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you mountain types help to solve a equipment problem on our smallholding?

Poster: A snowHead
When you have goats and horses that can manipulate bolts - and most of ours can - you have to get inventive to stop your animals getting out.

Our usual solution is a length of chain attached with a split ring to 'lead' end of a clip taken from a dogs lead (they usually have a sealed loop) and then this can be passed around the post and the edge of the gate and clipped back onto a link of the chain with the sprung loaded clip.

The problem is in finding 'dog clips' and split rings that are up to the task. We have obtained a couple of carrabiners (sp?) (though these were probably larger than we needed - they were cast offs), but find that the clips point inwards slightly where they close and are not so convenient to slip onto the chain links as a sprung loaded dog clip. I wondered if the climbing/skiing/mountaineering equipment sector had any clips which might be more suitable for attaching to lengths of chain and performing a similar task. The thing is its difficult to go looking on the internet unless I know what type of clip to search for.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, Our local farmers use baling twine to secure everything Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, Its frayed lengths of baling twine that are driving my mum nuts at the moment - hence the question - I told her that I was sure our mountain types could find a solution.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Megamum, karabiners are the usual "clip something to something else" piece of equipment in the mountains. They come in a variety of sizes and variations of the basic shape, eg.

http://www.tiso.com/shop/?q=Karabiner
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, Bike lock with combination lock
Have a look through what these guys offer
http://www.mcveighparker.co.uk/

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 28-11-07 19:34; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, Ah.....I should have added a proviso that you have to be able to manipulate it with one hand when the other is full of horse, goat, bucket, straw etc. Otherwise not a bad idea.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian, The hotwire quickdraw carabiner with the loop at each end is more the sort of function. The problem with a carabiner is that both ends of the chain could run freely round it. Do any types come with a division in the middle and an opening at each end?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, assume you've tried spring-loaded bolts? http://www.elizatinsley.co.uk/catalogues/hardware.pdf
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NewSkier, Yup - the horses can beat a sprung loaded bolt, and those with the bit that drops down in the middle once the bolt is pushed home. The animals are magic with their lips and tongues. I've even got goats which left alone long enough with a dog clip will get it undone!!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Megamum, no, don't think so. Divers (my Dad's big in to the old scuba) have all kinds of clippage going on, maybe something from this selection might take madame's fancy :

http://shop.aquaventurers.co.uk/products.php?cat=10&pg=2
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The LUMB BROS BRONZE SNAPHOOKS (NO2) are closer to what we had in mind - I could see us going with those if nothing more reasonably priced showed up - thanks!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, what about a quickdraw with two ovals? Would they chew through webbing?

Otherwise, 3 (steel!) ovals -> DONE. You can substitute a steel rap ring for the middle one.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, Quickdraw - one visit to wikipaedia later - gotcha! Yes, I reckon that they would chew through webbing, but a solution with a metal oval in the middle would be functional, however I reckon that it would still be more costly (given the tiso link above) than the diving clip above which we could get for £3.95 each. in an ideal situation we could use about 10 closures to go round all our gates and doors, and it starts to add up - even the diving clips would approach £40 so the more cost effective the better.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, your horses sound mighty smart. You could try the kind of shackles used on marine safety harnesses - you have to snap yourself on to various strong points with one hand, whilst holding on tightly with the other. Expensive though. For example http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/chandlery_products/harnesses/product_info/double_gibb_deck_safety_line.htm
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, as I read it only one steel oval carabiner needs to be a quick-use, a large chain link and a farm-supply farm-duty farm-cost screw-gate can be the other parts.

You might do better than the tiso link by looking around for Eastern-euro sourced hardware. Otherwise, climbing gear may not be what you need.
ski holidays
Quote:

Its frayed lengths of baling twine that are driving my mum nuts at the moment

My old girl puts baler twine on every gate, even if chained and padlocked, "just in case"
latest report
pam w, Mmm, anything that is safety orientated is an 'arm and a leg' isn't it? Helmets, reflective tabbards, safety clips. The webbing clips in your link would perform a similar task, but again I reckon the goats and horses would chew the webbing.

Yes, the horses are mighty smart! Mind you its the goats that qualify as the true performing animals - you should see them on the end of a draw bolt. We were kidding one night about 2am, and were all in the shed keeping warm with the door pulled to. One of our 'bolt experts' an older goat with plenty of experience shoved the door to by placing her feet against it and before we had a chance to shout she had shot the bolt and locked us all in. We kept our heads and calmly asked her to let us out and heard her draw the bolt back again!!

comprex, Yes, I hadn't looked at it from that perspective - you are right, cruder parts could indeed be used with a dearer functional clip.
ski holidays
Megamum, impressive. My husband tells me that one of the cows on their farm, when he was growing up, was particularly smart and was teaching the others how to get over a cattle grid. Doesn't pay to be too clever; she got shot and eaten, before they all escaped.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We were going out New Years Eve 2006 and the boss was outside doing the nag. She said we were going out at 7.30 and at 8.30 I realized she was not back in. I went out into the yard to be met by a volley of abuse - "are you gonna let me out then or what you ******* useless *******". She had gone into the tack troom and the nag had closed the door and slid the bolt across. She eventually saw the funny side of it.
latest report
How about the type of rings used on horse tack - the quick release type with two nubs on the sides - they can be easily released one handed.
ski holidays
Scarpa, I can't bring to mind what you are describing and I've been around horses since I was 4 yrs old Puzzled . I've seen quick release stirrups.........
ski holidays
Megamum, .... I use these to keep a K9 Lockpicker in order and they are not expensive. I think they are also available in stainless steel for a few kopeks more .....
snow report
I fully expect that, about 200,000 years from now, a goaty Von Daniken will publish theories about woman-shaped aliens in orange suits. C. Zicke Jung will blame it on cultural arcapretypes.
ski holidays
Megamum, Scissor snap rings were what I was thinking off, very common for horse tack... an old gf had a lovely pair of goth studded black leather and purple suede cuff bracelets with matching collar, they had these attached and they were very easy to operate with one hand Twisted Evil

http://www.bitlessbridle.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarpa wrote:
.....what I was thinking of......an old gf......lovely pair.....goth studded black leather......matching collar......easy to operate with one hand Twisted Evil

After all that you really think people will click the link Shocked Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy