Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

need help !! who can help me..

Poster: A snowHead
hi im thinking about goin away in jan with friends but we would be new 2 skiing! seems the best fing to do in jan and i think it would be a good laugh
could any1 help me by suggestin somewhere to go ? we would want somewhere young and lively preferably with other young english people around! not too bothered on the best advanced ski resorts as we would be beginners! thanks for your help xx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
partygirlxx,
Welcome to snowHead s

Go to Austria if you want to party - Mayrhofen, Hinterglemm etc are well-known for beginners.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andorra is one possiblity, particularly Pas de La Casa or Soldeu.

A lot of beginners go there, so it tends to be more young people, and the ski schools are well geared up for new skiers (and have a lot of Australian/New Zealanders so often have good English).

And they are pretty lively in the evenings, although perhaps not quite as OTT as some of the top "party" resorts such as St Anton (but a lot cheaper too).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yer i definately am looking towards the cheaper options too as i live in spain and am hopin 2 go back to england too in the same month! the money adds up .. as u know! thanks for helping people please keep sugestions comin and also i would apreciate some adbvice about bookin a ski holiday ! seen u need lift passes and extras .. what exactly do i need to get ! haha thankls x
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
partygirlxx, welcome to Snowheads, and to skiing. You could try these people http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk . Their prices are really good, and include everything, including tuition, equipment, lift passes, the lot. My daughter and BF are going with them in February and it's cheap even at half term (they both teach). He has been before, and says it's a really sociable formula because you stay, eat and drink with the same people you're having lessons with. You wouldn't really have to think about it, or know anything - just turn up. Your choice of January is a good one - skiing is definitely the best thing to do. Go as late as possible in the month for the best likelihood of good snow, and slightly longer days, but anytime after 5 Jan, when the New Year holiday ends, should be fine.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks i have had a look through but im still very confused and obviously worried about makin the wrong choice... just want somewhere lively with young english american australian .. whatever! lol any more ideas any1? x
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Note that if you click on Pam's link, you need to remove the full stop at the end to actually get to the site.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i would go to either andorra with pas de la casa being first choice as you want a begginer friendly and lively resort (some say its the ibiza of skiing!) also its on the border of france and spain so you could get there from spain easily. Also soldeau is a good resort in andorra as well a bit quieter with some nice hotels including sport hotels. Alternatively you cant go wrong in a large austrian resort and i have been to saalbach and thats very lively from 3 pm onwards also zell am see is another good choice but the skiing is more limited. i ve been to all resorts and am going back to saalbach in feb
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Link edited to remove full stop.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, thanks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
partygirlxx, I've nothing to add, apart from welcome to snowHead s....another xx on the forum - hoorah!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
haha thanks for all your help !! x
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
partygirlxx, the suggestions of Andorra are very good ones. I'd pick Pas de la Casa though, I stayed in Soldeu, and to be honest it was quite quiet, whereas Pas is a bit more partying. There are a huge number of native English speaking ski instructors (Brits, Aussies, Kiwis etc) which is great for learning (and drinking). And the skiing's pretty good as a bonus (especially for beginners and intermediates). Oh, and of course it's close if you're in Spain.

As far as other options go, Austria's generally very lively and with Brits, but is more expensive. Then there's Bulgaria... skiing's not the best (but fine for beginners, Bansko would probably be the best bet) but it is cheap, there only seems to be Bulgarians and Brits there, and the booze is very, very cheap. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've skiied about 100 resorts in about 14 countries and would say that a beginners party holiday comes down to.......

AUSTRIA or ANDORRA.

Austria is unbeatable for apres ski atmosphere, beautiful villages and dancing in your ski boots straight from the slopes. While Austria is not exactly mega expensive (compared to UK) for drinks, Andorra is very cheap in comparison - 3 euros for a big beer and 2 for that price in happy hour. However, Andorran resorts aren't exactly the prettiest - Soldeu is passable (though has a busy, traffic choked road through the middle) and Pas de la Casa (though very functional for slopes access etc) is positively ugly.

There is a great website that tells you (just about) everything that beginners need to know. It also has a list of Top 10 resorts for beginners (though none are in Austria take no notice! You'd not go far wrong with Mayrhofen, Schladming, Solden, Ischgl or Soll). Here is the link:

http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=400

Keep us all posted with what you decide!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OOPS!! DID I SAY SCHLADMING??!!

It might be great - but I've never been!! I meant SAALBACH!!

Apologies.
latest report
I'm driving down to the Alpes in December for the first time, only ever done Austria before by plane, I have been told I have to have chains legally, however it's £300 to buy a set for my TT, the £50 will fit, however run the risk of killing my car if I don't fit them 100%, what are the chances I will ever have to get them out of the boot? Can I get away with buying the cheap set, and actually never having to use them? anyone help a first timer?
ski holidays
Collo, have you got winter tyres? You definitely need winter tyres, but you probably won't actually need to use the chains.
I've only used chains once in the last fifteen years, and I drive down to the alps almost every weekend in the winter.

Where are you driving to?
snow report
Collo, oh and welcome to snowHead
snow conditions
Collo, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Have you had a look on ebay for a 2nd hand set? You may be able to save a few ££ that way?
latest report
well not sure if im going to go in jan now as my mate changed her mind but thanks for all your help, u lot have really made me want 2 go skiing now and i will defimately do it soon even though its something ive never thought about b4 ! i aint really from one of those skiing familys...none ov my family have ever been but i think it sounds great! think id go for pas de la casa i like the sound of the partyin Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy n cheap n cheerful dont bother me 1 bit haha its good when ur on a budget ! xxx
snow report
Cheers Mark, i'm driving to La Rosierre, I havent got winter tyres however somebody did suggest leaving the car at Chambery Airport and getting a transfer to the resort.

If you have any other ideas let me know

cheers
ski holidays
Quote:
somebody did suggest leaving the car at Chambery Airport and getting a transfer to the resort.

that's a rather strange idea, I reckon. Worst of both worlds. It would be very costly. Better to get a flight to Chambery if you're going to get a taxi from there on. You don't have to have winter tyres - only a very small proportion of the many UK drivers going to the Alps will have winter tyres, for a one week holiday. Use chains, and know how to put them on. The road up to La ros is steep.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy