Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glove technique

Poster: A snowHead
Elizabeth B, Nick L, opinion shouldn't come into it, it's neither dominant nor non-dominant, but the RIGHT glove to go on first. This is because it may have xscaped your notice but modern day lifts gates have lift pass proximity sensors on the left so everyone holds their cold poles in their hurriedly gloved right hand so as to be able to get close to the sensor on their left without damaging either pole or sensor, while the second glove, yet undonned, resides in the left hand. Simple really, when explained.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gilberts Fridge, well for Left Gloves I would go to Surehand when they open over here. I don't think anyone has "solved" the right hand yet, and quite frankly I probably won't bother leaving the bar in the hotel at the MSB until they do...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

ski like a flying pile of cack

I've memorised this one - it's divine! Toofy Grin

Wayyy, on to the second page, this is really warming up!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hate to tell you all, but I have found a new design development which is only going to add to our troubles although it is clearly made with ggod intentions it could prove counterproductive: There exists a glove made my Scott with two - yes one more than usual - choices for putting your hands in (ie at the open cavelike end not the pointy closed end.) The idea is that you have a choice between warm and very warm with less sensation of what you are gripping (Not unlike when you have frozen hands ironically.)

If any of us buy this I predict a veritable domino pile-up before/after getting on lifts. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For those suggesting the "Pulling Movement - Teeth System", what do you do if you forget to put your teeth in?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, I would direct you to the Chimpanzee Exercise (video follows.) Briefly, this involves getting your CoM right forward and down, angulating your knees and ankles to the maximum degree and then, rotating the body slightly in the direction of the hand which you wish to clothe - by this time having inserted your digits into the glove to the precise extent required to avoid it falling off - you place the cuff of the glove immediately underneath the ski binding on that side. Apply pressure (force/weight - phone GrahamN if in any doubt at this stage) to the ski so that, as you then wriggle your fingers into that glove, the ski is firmly holding down the cuff of the glove. Getting your hand fully into the glove is the sign that you have reached the optimum point for the transition into standing up again.

Ring for the physiotherapist.

Sorted. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Now we've cracked this (apart from ski jacket sleeve inside or out of glove cuff) can we move on to the more freeride area of
Mittens? Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timmaah, I will add 'Glove' to the skiing terms and phrases glossary just to be safe Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, ah - but is the transition point at the start of standing up, or the end of bending down? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

For those suggesting the "Pulling Movement - Teeth System", what do you do if you forget to put your teeth in?

Given the right jaw-line extension gums are just as effective and will prevent seperation of glove from cuff which as Hurtle quite rightly pointed out could be a negative factor of the tooth-pull method.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 28-11-07 17:21; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother, as you well know, I am not an instructor. Furthermore, I do not even have O-Level physics. There is no help in me. I have yet again strayed into a technical thread in BZK and made a fool of myself. The short answer to your question is: f--k knows! However, it's likely that there are several other people who will proffer an opinion. wink

skimottaret, I think I'm ready for the man in the white coat - just looked in the Glossary to see whether you had made the addition. rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
minx, now I do disagree with you there. Whatever the jaw alignment, gingevitis is a serious risk in these circumstances. Only gold standard glove-wearers should even think about attempting such a manoeuvre.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle wrote:
stoatsbrother, as you well know, I am not an instructor.

Hurtle, I do think that people like you should refrain from commenting. Only certified glove professionals should be allowed to post on this thread Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bloomin armchair experts are out in force again Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Found this short example on you tube but would like an informed opinion of improvments to technique to avoid any similar experiences

mmmmmmm glurves
ski holidays
Could this be the answer

http://youtube.com/v/71ErKFP_rno

never have to take your gloves off again, perhaps there could be a snowhead branded version Toofy Grin
snow report
I think we are missing the point here and the real question is gloves or mittens? Once you have solved the issue of heat efficiency in hand coverings , then you can concentrate on the how to put the chosen atire on correctly.
latest report
veeeight, how would you advise we use our armchairs properly? NehNeh wink
snow report
Can I ask about Glove Etiquette?
When shaking hands, should you leave your gloves on or take them off.
I note that a lot of instructors and guides take their gloves off to allow direct hand-to-hand contact
Is keeping your gloves on bad manners?
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
Can I ask about Glove Etiquette?
When shaking hands, should you leave your gloves on or take them off.
I note that a lot of instructors and guides take their gloves off to allow direct hand-to-hand contact
Is keeping your gloves on bad manners?

Are you sure this is the place for this question???? There's a whole new thread's worth there...
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, how would you know anything about this subject?
The lovely Lady Stanton does all the shaking of hands for you Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Jonpim, of course! It is always bad manners to leave one's gloves on when shaking hands, even in snowy conditions.
latest report
Hurtle, I assume you ARE qualified to comment on etiquette. Thought so Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
minx, Cool
latest report
What if you're an amputee? Let's not ignore that whole target audience by just assuming everyone has two hands. Selfish lot you are...
ski holidays
Of course - if you are a Boarder, you can just "High Five" everyone you meet, you also get bigger flappy Mitts which are easier for people with coordination problems to put on wink
snow report
stoatsbrother, Laughing

although I should point out mittens aren't as ideal for boarders as some might imagine. they're the very devil when you're trying to light your spliff.
ski holidays
snojito, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, wink
snow conditions
snojito, Twisted Evil haha I know a few that would definately agree with that one
snow report
Timmaah, in that case, the whole "which hand first" debate becomes a lot easier wink
ski holidays
Can I insert a quick diversion? Do glove heaters work? I'm also worried they may damage the inside lining of my gloves, does anyone have experience of theses machines? Confused
snow conditions
boredsurfin, it depends on your gloves. I hear that they're not great with marigolds.
snow conditions
boredsurfin, stick to the topic, or start a new thread!

But to answer your questions:
1. You just did.
2. Yes, unless they are broken (watch out for cheap american brands rebadged as old British ones, they break down more often that quality Italian designs)
3. Yes, lots of people have. I am not one of them.

I hope this has been useful. snowHead
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, I've noticed that you excellent at putting your gloves on. Your little digit extension has obviously been honed to perfection over a number of years and you are quite the expert now. I look up to you , but then again so does Helen Beaumont and so does Linds who looks further up to you than either of us.

Do you think there is ever any hope of my attaining your excellence at glove fitment ?
snow report
Nick L wrote:
Another useful tip is to put only one finger in each of the extension bits. ...

Easier for some than others wink . I always end up with a flappy one on the left. I tried cutting one of the extension bit off, but the hole lets cold air in Confused
snow conditions
Agenterre, can you explain LDE to me please. Puzzled

Also, are there any good glove fitters on here?
latest report
Agenterre, practice practice and practice. Oh, and lessons.

I think that most people have a lesson or two and then think they know it all. They rush off on their own, putting their gloves on without care and thought. The clever ones, after a few times of this, realise that they are stuck on the intermediate glove plateau and take more lessons.

I sence that the force is strong in you Agenterre and that you will see the true path. Engage every glove expert in conversation whenever the opportunity arises. I think that you do yourself down and that Helen Beaumont and Linds look up to you also.
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Don't under estimate the seriousness of this thread where children approx 5 yrs old and under are concerned rolling eyes

With children the sequence is similar to oxygen masks on aeroplanes. The adult should put their own gloves on first before attempting to help a child put their gloves on. It is all part of health and safety on the slope.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Basically, it works like this.

Part One
Firstly get a good instructor (Elizabeth B, is very highly commended) and send her lots of money .. repeat a few times. It is unlikely that she will be able to address these issues at an early stage as it really is only a subject for folks with advanced or even expert glove technique. Slipping her more wallah faster may of course advance your preparedness for being considered 'expert'.

When she is good and ready, she will undoubtedly recommend that you buy THE BOOK on Little Digit Extension ( hereinafter known as LDE - (TM)) by that world-renowned author Pinky (from Gloveworks, you must have heard of them?) . However now that you have read my learned article you can side-slip the wallah-giving as I am a self-proclaimed expert-wannabe-watcher

This is probably enough for an initial view, as I need you to think that there is really something special about me ..

Part Two to follow
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy