Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where in the Dolomites for New Year

Poster: A snowHead
I've just book flights to Venice from Dec 30th to Jan 7th, and plan to head to the Sellaronda area. There are definitely three of us going and maybe six.

Of the three definites there is me (advanced) and the others are one intermediate (my fiance) and one beginner. We want a lively resort with easy to access to pistes. I would like to visit the snow park in Seiseralm, is this easy to get to? I would also like to go to Arraba but probably not stay there as sounds too quiet. Will probably have a hire car.

I've have read a number of very informative threads on the Dolomites but want more advice on where to go based on our needs.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anywhere! You will enjoy it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roy Hockley, I know that, anywhere there is snow is a good spot for me! but as there will be beginners in our group I want them to have a good impression of snowsports. I read some reviews that said some ski schools don't have many English instructors, anyone any experience?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No body in our group took lessons so cant help you. We stayed in Selva and the scenery is fantastic all will enjoy that. For the beginner look at staying close to nursery slopes as it could be a bit of a jaunt to the plateau. Corvara could be a place for you as nursery slopes are easily accessable but view is less dramatic as the town is too close to the mountain rocks so overall view is not the best.

Arraba has the hardest skiing in the area, not really suitable for a beginner. When you are there a must is the hidden valley at Laguzoi. Your fiance would managae it no trouble at all but one of the must do slopes in europe.

Selva is the most lively of the resorts however it is not a St. Anton or Ischgl!!

Enjoy, no hard feelings for the All Ireland wink wink wink Maybe next year!!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roy Hockley, Don't call me a Dub, I only live there! I'm from Longford.

Thanks for the advice, I am edging toward Selva, do you know what St Cristina and Ortisei are like in comparison?

I read on ifyouski that there is less English spoken in Corvara, anyone know is that true?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nightlife is not as good I believe in St. Christina and Ortesei. Selva beat them all hands down. I would go there for your group. German is the first language spoken not Italian, or so it appeared. My German is much better than my non existant Italian!

I am envious of you heading off there in the New Year, but to rub it in a little I am off to Avoriaz on Friday Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roy Hockley, good for you, I wonder sometimes do snowheads do any work!

I am currently looking for available accommodation in Selva, just waiting for replies.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Peter Ross, I can recommend Selva, I learnt to ski there and have been back twice cos I love it so much. There's a real sense of travelling on skis because the linked area encompasses about 12 villages, the scenery is awesome, skiing over the Gardena Pass to Corvara is like skiing down a mini Grand Canyon. It used to be a bargain, but the euro changed that, now it's still good value because of the quality. As this was part of Austria til World War I , see it as Austrian/German cleanliness & efficiency meets Italian cuisine & sense of fun.

My sister learnt to ski there with Ski/Snowboard 2000, she had a good english speaking instructor, she was skiing parallel turns after 5 days.
See if you can get accommodation near the nursery slopes as it will be a trek up a steep hill if not for the beginner.

I can second the trip to the Hidden Valley at Lagazuoi, you need to ski via Corvara to Armentarola and get a minibus-taxi up to the cable car station at Falzarego pass, plan to stop for lunch at Rifugio Scotoni halfway down. Next time I go I want to try the Skitour Grande Guerra which takes in the Marmolada glacier, the Sottoguda gorge, the Cinque Torri above Cortina and the Hidden Valley, that would be a good day's skiing.

For advanced skiers there's the men's Downhill run, the run below the Sass Pordoi cablecar above Canazei among others.

There are so many good mountain restaurants, practically one on every run.
Don't miss the Villa Frainela homemade cake, tea, coffee, ice cream shop off to the left above the nursery slopes

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 28-11-07 15:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just to add, the first language among the locals in Val Gardena is Ladin but they also speak German and Italian and quite a bit of English(especially the younger people), the clientele are mainly Germans so this comes first but Selva has a more international flavour with Brits, Benelux and various others. I sat on a chairlift once with a guy from California who said he came every year, better than anything the States had to offer, so he said!

As you're driving be aware that the Pordoi/Sella/Gardena/Campolongo passes sometimes are closed after snowfall, so the safest and quickest route is using the motorway via Verona and Bolzano then up Val Gardena past Ortisei to Selva.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
luigi, Thanks for all the info, very useful tips. How much approx. would it cost in tolls to go via Verona? If conditions on the road are dry is it quicker/better to go the Belluno route?

I'm really excited about going now! Just hope I can get accommodation in Selva at a reasonable price.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The tolls are probably 15-20 euros from Venice to Bolzano.

Twice I went with tour ops via Innsbruck and Verona, so approached from A22 up Val Gardena.

On a DIY trip via Venice-Treviso it was trying to snow at the airport on arrival so didn't want to chance the mountain passes. On the way back, we planned to leave Selva via Sella/Pordoi and do a scenic route via Cortina. Leaving Selva about 9am said Sella closed (had snowed overnight), we pressed on (thought they might have cleared it and not changed the sign) and 3km on at Plan de Gralba the route was blocked off so we had to go back down the valley, so didn't get to drive the passes. Although, I've driven them in mid-May no problems.

Never used the route from Belluno up the Agordino, but this is the usual approach to Arabba in winter, so it should be OK. It's just the passes that can be a problem and you're not going to find out til it's too late, and it's a long detour if they're closed. But if you can get weather information and be confident about the roads, it'll be a more scenic route though not necessarily quicker because of the slower speeds.

You could try www.suedtirol.info to find available accommodation

At the end of our holiday we had lunch and an afternoon in Venice before catching the evening flight home, maybe an option for you?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We took a taxi and to be honest cant remember any tolls! We stayed in Hotel des Alpes grand and central. Ski back to hotel 50M but going to slopes is uphill bus stop about 100M downhill from front door. With beginners I would chose a place by the nursery slopes, will dig out some names later for you. What is a reasonable price? Everything will be cheaper than Dublin!! wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roy Hockley, reasonable price , <€40 per night, b and b. Price will be a prioirty over convenience as living in Dublin means I have little cash and want to go skiing often!

luigi, thanks again, I have a fear of sliding out of control off a cliff! So the lesson is believe the signs are true! I will watch the weather forecast carefully but would enjoy the scenic route. I was in Venice last September but would go back anytime and the others might be keen to see it, I was thinking of this on the last day as flight not until 9pm from Marco Polo and probably won't want to or have enough time to ski that day so Venice might be a good diversion.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did not stay there but the location is excellent. Look at Garni Rubens, at base of your run home one side of the sella ronda. Perfect location but I would suggest to book early as I would say it is popular. Good choice is going B&B the restaurants match Zermatt. Let me know how you get on.

I would take the group there but probably could not cater for all of us.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roy Hockley, No luck with accommodation yet but early days, the tourist office says they will take preference for Saturday to Saturday bookings, I'm Sunday to Monday! Anyone in snowheads have accommodation on the Sellaronda that's free New Year's week!
snow conditions
Peter Ross, I would definitely second Selva - going there in February (will be 3rd time). Sella Ronda ski area is absolutely massive and very varied. Dolomites are spectacular.

You will love it!
latest report
I am very Arabba biased as I have been there 5 or 6 times as a base. It is quiet but if there were 6 of you then I am sure you could liven it up a bit - it's not dead, just no night clubs so night life is bar based but can go on........................

Going back again in February and Arabba is full so we are staying in Canazei, so a new experience, but I am sure it will be a great base and I know the skiing will be scenic and spectacular. Hidden Valley at half term will be busy but worth the wait to get up there and a day out to Cortina via the Cinque Torri would be superb too!!

If you want an off piste day get a guide to take you and any other advanced skiers to the Val Mezdi - especially if there has been a good dump.

Good luck with picking the right base for you and your group.

Clive
latest report
jb1970, What date are you in Selva in Feb?
snow conditions
Not many accommodation offers yet but got an offer for Ortisei/St Ulrich, does anyone have any views? Especially what is the apres ski like? Do they speak good English in the ski school? Does it take long to connect to the Sellaronda?
latest report
Peter Ross, from my experience looking for accommodation in Val Gardena it gets progressively cheaper and less subscribed the further you get away from the Sella Ronda lifts, that's probably why something's come up in Ortisei at what is a busy time with an awkward duration.
Can't comment on the ski school in Ortisei, other than their website has an english version, which is a good sign.
Ortisei is a pleasant place, a proper town with a picturesque pedestrianised historic centre rather than an overgrown village/ski resort, some very civilised hotels, cafes, shops, museums etc. I can't vouch for the nightlife, but I expect it's more genteel than raucous.
You are quite a way from the main Sella Ronda links, but handy for the cablecar to the Alpe di Siusi/Seiseralm area.
The other cablecar goes up to the top of the Seceda area from where you can ski down to the newish Ronda Express train that connects across the valley bottom (3 min.) to the Ciampinoi lifts and into the Sella Ronda. You might just find it easier to drive up to Selva or Plan de Gralba (10-15 mins) and get on the lifts there, particularly if you're having to drive to the lifts in Ortisei anyway. There is a skibus service for a small fee than runs up and down too.
Although you should do the full Sella Ronda once, it's often better to use it to get to other areas that won't be as busy, the Alta Badia area beyond Corvara twd San Cassiano/Armentarola is often gloriously empty.
Hope this helps
ski holidays
luigi, Super info, thanks, your knowledge of the Dolomites is second to none! Is the Alpe di Siusi area very flat as it looks flat on the piste map? I heard it was a nice run from Seceda to Ortisei, do you know is it normally open to the bottom at New Year or does it depend on snow conditions? Would it take long to ski over to Alta Badia?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 5-12-07 12:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The ski bus is a better option as parking like driving in Italy can be a nightmare. The bus runs are frequent and no hassle, just remember to buy bus pass (€5 from memory). Peter Ross, Not long to wait. Just back from France and had fantastic snow. You will be in for a treat!
ski holidays
Peter Ross, I can't admit to ever having skied in the Alpi di Siusi area, I once went up the cablecar from Ortisei during the week I was learning to ski, the view was awesome. It is the largest high mountain pasture plateau in the Alpine region, this implies flatness, but I would say rolling, mainly short blue runs, some facing the sun, and a few reds up against the mountain buttresses that form the backdrop to the area.

I have skied the Seceda area, a nice sunny bowl with some longer reds, easy blues and nice huts for refreshment. The run off the top down the back to Ortisei, I didn't try, but it is one of the longest runs in the valley at 12km I think, snow should be preserved as it would be in the shadow, snow making in the Dolomites is well used and the grooming is second to none, so they always make the most of what they get in this part of the Alps that doesn't enjoy huge amounts of natural snow.

To Alta Badia from Selva involves getting the Dantercepies gondola (just above the nursery slopes) up to the Gardena Pass (10min plus queuing time), then ski down past Colfosco (15 min) to a two-way chair lift (5-10 min)that takes you across the flat valley bottom to Corvara, this is the start of the Alta Badia area, so within an hour or so you could be up above Corvara. This area is a maze of mainly short runs, blue and reds and some longer cruisers twd San Cassiano. There's also a steep black run down to La Villa that will be used for the men's Giant Slalom World Cup competition on 16-17/12.

Also above Ortisei, using the ancient Raschotz/Rasciesa 1-man chairlift you can access a wicked long toboggan run that runs down the summer access road (there were 12 of us, so overtaking on the hairpins became a necessary skill).

In early March I had no trouble parking at Plan de Gralba, but space is tighter up at the Dantercepies gondola and I should imagine very difficult at the Ciampinoi gondola in the centre of Selva, the traffic can be pretty slow and busy in morning rush, so the bus could be a good option if you are near a stop.
snow report
Roy Hockley, I'll take your advice and get the bus also I read you have to pay for parking at lifts is this true? Not long indeed! Smile Where were you in France?

luigi, Thanks, the photos I have seen of Alpi de Siusi look incredibly flat! It will suit the beginners in our group. I might only go up there for the snow park which is meant to one of the best in Italy according to www.snow-parks.com.

I doesn't sound like it's too far to Alta Badia then. I might try the tobaggon run, have never done one.

I think I'll take the accommodation in Ortisei as I have had no other offers Crying or Very sad and it looks good value snowHead .

So Val Gardena here I come!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 6-12-07 10:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Looking fairly well-covered already, I'm jealous, I've got to wait til end of Feb before I go to Banff in Canada (I'm a sucker for places with sublime scenery).

In the photo around 7-8 o'clock you can see the Selva nursery slopes, the Dantercepies gondola station just above and one of the red variants that drop down from the top. The backdrop is the Sella Massif that you ski around on the Sella Ronda, you can access the top by cablecar from the Pordoi Pass up to a summit called Sass Pordoi (more amazing views) at 2900+m, if you're feeling brave and there's snowcover, there's a very steep itinerary route back down the face, needless to say I took the cablecar.

You won't believe it but one of the lads in the Chalet I stayed reckons he did the Sella Ronda twice (clockwise then anti-) in one day, I don't reckon he stopped for long. Not bad, 80 km total without using the same lift or skiing the same run twice!

I once went in March in a bad snow year and every south facing meadow was brown grass, but all the pistes were complete (if a bit heavy low down) and the Sella Ronda was fully open all the way round, so looking good for you!

Once you arrive you should pick up the detailed map of the Sella Ronda that they sell in the shops for about 5 euros, it so much more detailed than the free piste maps.
ski holidays
Does anyone know how to make the image above a little smaller so it fits the page better?
snow report
Peter Ross, How dare you! It is a wonderful sight wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just back from Avoriaz, had about 40-50cm in 3 days.
snow conditions
Peter Ross, just to whet your appetite
[img]http://www.skiforum.it/skiforum/download.php?id=2240[/img]
If the picture shows correctly you will see the Forcella Pordoi run down from the Sass Pordoi cablecar.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How do you get the image to appear in the post?
ski holidays
I'm not sure why that image isn't appearing, is there a user guide on posting photos anywhere???
snow conditions
Oh well, can't make it work, you can always copy and paste the address into your browser. That forum has lots of photos of the area, unfortunately it's all in Italian.
[img]http://www.skiforum.it/skiforum/album_pic.php?pic_id=99[/img]
Try again, here's one from our Italian friends of the Belvedere area above Canazei looking twd Col Rodella and the Sassolungo
snow report
Can't work out if I'm doing something wrong or the other site blocks the link.
ski holidays
luigi, I must be the other site, I think we need a new thread on how to post photos!! I had a look at your photo, that looks like a nice run, is that in Val Gardena?

Roy Hockley, that's a nice bit of snow, lucky you.
snow report
Quote:

I had a look at your photo, that looks like a nice run, is that in Val Gardena?

No, it's between Canazei and Arabba, about 1/3 of the way round the anti-clockwise or 2/3 the clockwise Sella Ronda from Selva. You have to leave the main Sella Ronda route to get to the cable car station on the Pordoi Pass. The run is one of three off-piste itineraries off the top, it drops back to the bottom station (out of sight in the photo), the other two end up elsewhere.
ski holidays
If you want to do some touring around the Sella Ronda and other ski areas and not sure which lifts and runs to take this could really help you out as you can plan your route for the day. snowHead
http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/skiroutenplaner.athx?ccode=en-US
snow report
surfski, I was looking at that, it's a really cool tool, now could satnav do that!
latest report
Peter Ross wrote:
surfski, I was looking at that, it's a really cool tool, now could satnav do that!

Well actually you can with this, http://www.ski-nav.com/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy