Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in your 50s

Poster: A snowHead
My mother will embark on her first ever ski trip at the ripe old age of 58! She's going to have lessons etc in LDA. Anyone know anyone who has started skiing at this age etc? How did they get on?
PS she is not very sporty but not overweight or anything.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
garethjomo, my Dad was a bit younger then this when he started but not a lot (and probably was carrying a little too much weight ... hope he's not a snowHead I haven't clocked yet!).

Top tip that worked for him was to get some decent 1-2-1 tuition from a quality instructor (finding a ski school that you know has a group of like minded more mature novices could work too). Best of luck to her, never too late to aquire the addiction!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well she's going to be skiing in a group of other women aged 28 - 58 having private lessons. Think their ages are 28, 32, 42, 44 57 and 58 so that should be good.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
garethjomo, good for her! My dentist started skiing at 49 and loves it. As long as she's reasonably fit, up for a laugh, I'm sure she'll have a great time. Are you going with her?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
garethjomo, sounds like a great mix. Hope she has a good time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I started 2 years ago at 57, overweight, unfit & never been sporty. Now addicted & ski OK'ish. First 'steps' are critical for confidence. Don't go for group lessons as the youngsters as they learn easily. If she gets good tuition from the start She will be skiing at the top of L2A which ought to get anyone hooked.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
garethjomo, IMO the fifties should really not be too late for most people to learn skiing. I joined an 'over 50's learn to ski week' at LDA this year run by easiski. This was intended to cater for first timers and people just like your mother.

As she is going to LDA I would seriously recommend you consider contacting easiski, who would either be able to provide some quality tuition herself or if she could not would no doubt recommend someone appropriate.

I hope she has fun.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard E, already spoken to her snowHead

hyweljenkins, i am going with her. 42 of my family and friends going Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
garethjomo, 42 of you? Crikey. At least you'll be able to hide!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know (and have taught) people who started skiing in their 60s and 70s - and they tend to do very well! Okay, they are never going to win a downhill or love the bumps, but they get a brilliant sense of satisfaction and achievement just by getting around the mountain.

Oh, and the "over the hill" downhill: http://www.skisilverstar.com/events/othd.html [Sorry, can't find a more recent link.]
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
garethjomo, I started snowboarding at the ripe old age of 58, so I expect she'll cope! I could already ski, but that doesn't really help. Sounds like a great trip; have fun. Make sure she gets really short skis. No more than chin height. It would probably be worth her doing some exercise beforehand - some aerobic stuff (maybe energetic line dancing if she doesn't fancy step classes, or similar) and some flexibility work, to make sure her hips and other key joints are OK. Lots of leisure centres have suitable classes and, if ours is anything to go by, are stuffed with the over 50s, or even over 60s (we get discounts!). Not being overweight is a great start; it's so difficult for overweight people to get up if they fall down. That, by the way, is infinitely easier on a snowboard, at least on the toe edge! Maybe she should go for snowboarding?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A mere youngster, and if she's with easiski, she'll be fine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith didn't give up skiing until he was 305, I don't know how old he was when started but I'm sure your mum will be fine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My Grandfather started at 67 ...in the 1940's with leather boots and super long skis.
If it could be done then......

Good for her...have a great time!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
garethjomo said "My mother will embark on her first ever ski trip at the ripe old age of 58" Ripe old age?!! Not old, rather - mature, wise,experienced, astute, prudent’ sensible, judicious, perspicacious, perceptive, knowledgeable, skilled, erudite and well informed. I should know being a very young 57 year old wink
ski holidays
garethjomo,
Quote:

ripe old age of 58!

Hoy you, last to the bottom buys the drinks Twisted Evil Toofy Grin
snow report
When I was learning to ski at stoke dry slope I went to the coffee mornings, nearly all the people there learned to ski after they retired (except me I'm no where near retired).
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm no where near retired

bad luck old chap. Or rather young chap.
snow report
garethjomo, Given others' worthy contributions , little I can add.

I started skiing 3 years ago, aged 50, with more hang-ups than a wardrobe.

I'm now addicted and aged 16 ...

I wish her well... persistence and reasonable expectation is possibly the key.

57 --'Old' Tut ..Tut wink
ski holidays
Quote:

reasonable expectation is possibly the key

absolutely. And whoever said not to expect to progress at the same pace as youngsters was right too. I started snowboarding with my son's girlfriend - initially I was ahead, thanks to my "learn in a day" at Milton Keynes. But even though she was not a super-tough type at all, or very strong or sporty, she rapidly overtook me because she put in more hours and young brains learn quicker. I can't do a whole day, or bad snow conditions, or ice. I just have a few hours potter now and again. But learning new things keeps yer young, as Agenterre notes. I shall remind myself of that shortly, as I am about to settle down to some French homework on use of the subjunctive. With a glass of Scotch.
snow report
I started at 49 after being harassed by my wife (who was a skier) for 8 years. I'm now 56. First holiday was absolute hell. I looked and felt like I'd done 10 yrs under a particularly brutal prison regime but on the last day "got it" for about 5 minutes. Second year marginally better, 2 reasonable days - shame about the dislocated shoulder and the Xmas day visit to the Sauze trauma clinic. Still, amazing what vodka, painkillers and a good ipod can do for the human spirit. Recovered by Feb and went to Livigno. Now, this is starting to get a bit better. Next year 3 hols, and frankly I was hooked big time and haven't looked back. Roll on Xmas. THis is the BEST thing I've ever done, and amazingly, as your techniqe gets better everything gets easier and faster and more fun..................... [/quote]
ski holidays
My ambition is still to be skiing when I'm 80. At present I'm still young (59) and wondering when I'll start slowing down. One of the guys I ski with retired and skied alot last year and improved hugely (He is 61 or 62) - he is now a good gold standard - year before last he was slower than me and now he is faster (I'm about the same).
ski holidays
I too started last year at the age of 55. Now really can't get enough.. had lessons in Banff then went to Chamonix last March and off to Whistler in Jan with 3V in March again. Never too late to start.. the only sad thing is the lack of years that I missed!!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I'd better watch this thread... I've only got 4 years to go Shocked
ski holidays
Gizmo, Welcome to snowHeads and congratulations on a positive and witty first post. I too started at a non-athletic 47 and am a capable but crude skier of nearly 58 now. Best of luck to all aged skiers. Most of us could never afford it when we were younger!

snowHead
ski holidays
Just a thought... if said elderly woman has osteoporosis it probably isn't the best idea to take her skiing. If not, enjoy!
latest report
Timmaah wrote:
Just a thought... if said elderly woman has osteoporosis it probably isn't the best idea to take her skiing. If not, enjoy!

Grr - 58 is not elderly you cheeky whippersnapper!

I started at 49, almost a year ago. I have not exaclty been the quickest learner (as I'm sure you all realise!) which has come a bit hard, as I am generally used to being a quick learner. So as said above, realistic expectations are indeed important. As far as I know, all the Snowdomes have over 50s clubs, and the one at Castleford runs an annual holiday that is booked up almost as soon as it's advertised each year.

I have two older skiing friends. One's a lady nearing 70 who took it up at 50, and then ran school ski trips until she retired, but now goes only for her own enjoyment, twice a year if she can. The other is a chap who is in his mid 80s. He took it up just before he retired, and has missed only one season (last year) through having a broken shoulder, sustained when he fell off a chair whilst doing some painting for "one of the old folks" near him.
ski holidays
Tip for skiers in their 50's (of which, I am one). For piste use I use small pole baskets and for powder, large baskets on my zimmer frame.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Most of us could never afford it when we were younger!

So very true. I first went skiing at 15, on a school trip to Norway, and adored it We all learnt fast, on skis way longer than ourselves, we were young and fit but the trip used up all my Post Office savings account, which had been mounting up since I was a baby. The next time I could afford to go skiing I was 40 and for several years our annual family "paid for" holiday was a ski trip. It's a whole heap more affordable without kids, that's for sure, when you can buy a season ski pass for next to nothing compared to a week in the 3 Valleys and can live in a French resort for no more money than it costs to live in England. That's why it's such a great idea for people approaching retirement - they can then do something sensible and fun with their retirement. Gizmo, welcome to Snowheads. What a great first post; you are an inspiration. Skiing is not for people who give up at the first hint of trouble, or pain!
ski holidays
garethjomo, 'ripe old age' is a bit ripe - I'm 55 myself. (looking for huffy smilie)... I'll be back in touch soon.
ski holidays
I'm another late starter. I was 56 when the woman that I'm now married to introduced me to skiing. Although I was (and am) fit from cycling, I wasn't a quick learner. It took a while to learn to do the technique that works rather than what you feel should work. You probably pick it up quicker when you're young. I've never found group lessons much use. One on one or two is so much better. The real incentive, though, is to keep up with your buddies. Being the slowest in the group really sucks!
Anyway, I now wait for my wife rather than the other way round. That's testosterone for you!
It's an indication that there are many skiers in their 50s and 60s that many resorts don't give you a cheaper pass until you're 65.

Better late than never!
snow report
Quote:

many resorts don't give you a cheaper pass until you're 65.

many will give a very modest reduction to over 60s (I just got a few euros off my season pass) but some give FREE passes to the really old. However, the age for a free pass will, we can all be sure, be just slightly older than we are. Are there any snowheads who are old enough to get free (not reduced) passes? Are there any resorts giving free passes under 70 years old these days? An elite group.
ski holidays
I'm 61 , my wife 63. just paid full price for our season pass in Zell am See
latest report
Byron Gates, Move wink

I'm sure I'll get abuse for this , but thought Achilles was near-ish pension age? More likely he's after the benefit-fiddle though wink 'cos he sure doesn't ski like an OAP.
ski holidays
Agenterre, it's elaborate make-up, takes him hours every morning wink
snow conditions
Byron Gates, I think you need to be 75 to get free passes in most places - including 3V, Les Gets/Morzine, and lots of others. We just need to hang in there a few more years. Though actually, if you ski for a season, lift passes bought at discount early rates are not too big a deal, are they? By 75 we're going to be finding insurance the biggest headache, I expect.
ski holidays
My friend of 67 found that TOs don't always offer the lift pass discounts which are available in the resorts. We went to Serbia (Kopaonik) with Thomson (not too much choice going there really, Thomson, Crystal, Balkan - DIY not so easy yet). There was a substantial local discount which my friend knew of, having been before, but when asked Thomson declared that there was no such thing and she'd be best buying her pass through them as that would be the cheapest. Liars!
ski holidays
12 years ago I went to the lift office in LDA with a 73 year old who had to produce his passport as proof of age for FREE pass for the week. When the girl behind the desk handed him his pass and a lift map, he promptly gave the lift map back and asked her to mark all the best black runs with a felt tip pen. I will never forget the look on her face Laughing BTW he did most of them too. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Kitty and Laundryman, welcome to the snowHead Kiddies section wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy