Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas fee vs Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry it's a bit long winded

I'm looking into taking my parents away sking this year and have already booked flights to Geneva on the 8th march, for the week. The intention is that my dad will be skiing for the first time, and my mother will be looking after our son who will be about 10 months. My wife and I are good Intermediate skiers, but intend to probably only ski in the mornings so we can either help my dad out after his ski school or relief my mother of some babysitting.

Also we probably intend to take a day off and take them to Chamonix or Zermatt so they can see the matterhorn or go up the aquilla midi (sp).

They enjoy mountains, and what to try and impress them so they come again, so something choclate boxy would be ideal.

My concern is that the snow could be detoriting at that time in Les Gets, hence Saas Fee.

Any advice would be appreciated
Andy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
acanno, I've not been to Les Gets so can't comment on that, but these are my thoughts regarding Saas.

Saas Fee has a tendency to be cold. It doesn't get much sun, which is great from a snow point of view, but maybe not for learning in. It is also high. While this is good from a snow point of view, I've known a lot of people struggle with the altitude. You shouldn't have a problem in resort, but if you want to take your son up the mountain it may be an issue?

Other than that, Saas is a nice place Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
acanno - Saas Fee is lovely. But it can be a long way up the mountain and far from ideal if you want to get back in the afternoon. As Elizabeth B says, it's cold. And it's also a trickier drive than Les Gets.

The snow in Les Gets should be fine at the beginning of March. (It should be fine until the middle of April.) Is a very good beginner's resort. And it's easy to get out of to get to Chamonix, or even Annecy of Lake Geneva.

Neither is particularly chocolate boxy - although Saas Fee probably has the edge. They are both far from ugly.

Call that long-winded post...? You should see some of mine wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your advice everybody I'll put some of that to the group and see what they say.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not been to LG, but we were in Saas Fee this Easter and the snow was fab, right down to the resort - and a pretty place it is. Cool
If you're an 80's hound, the Wham! Last Christmas cable car is in SF - my wife re-created the waving bit from the video Confused http://farm1.static.flickr.com/191/451012094_a7dbdbb507.jpg?v=0

Good luck with the trip.

CD. Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
acanno, Les gets would be better for a beginner, reasonable village for non skier and snow should be fine in March
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is the sun still too low in the ski in Mar for Saas Fee..?

My leaning would to to SF that late in the season but getting down the valley and over to Zermatt and even to Chamonix isn't the thing you do on a whim... the latter will be a day's undertaking by public transport IMV and no mean trip with a car

For all round snow ambience I'd say Saas Fee, although I don't know what it is like for beginners. Zermatt is not all at suitable for begiiners, btw
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
acanno, I suspect a numer of posters here are presenting a rather jaded image of Saas Fee because they love the place and want to discourage an invasion.

All ski resorts get cold. This is necessary to keep the snow on the ground. Saas Fee is no worse than anywhere else.

Saas Fee town is at 1800m, the skiing goes up to 3500m, but good easy skiing is available after just one lift at 2500m (piste map)

The Great Skiing and Snowboarding Guide 2007 lists Saas Fee as recommended for Beginners and Intermediates.

Children at High Altitude: An International Consensus Statement
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just got back from Saas Fee after getting there on the 23rd November. It's a lovely village which I liked a lot and not a very big village. I've heard reports that lack of transport round the village can be a problem, but I found that I could walk to anywhere in the village quite easily. There was skiing right down to the village for the whole week I was there.

I would say that the skiing would not suit advanced skiiers for a whole week, but it is snow sure and the scenery is fantastic and will impress anyone. Good restaurants too, my favourite was the Gletscherglotte just off the blue run down into the village. You had to get there before one o'clock this time of the year to get sun whilst lunching, but this will get later during the season. They went out of their way to welcome me, but then it wasn't that busy, so they had time. I believe that it is very popular later in the season and might need to be booked.

I was skiing on my own and had a great time with everyone being friendly, but I am skiing with my son for a week in Wengen and a week in Zermatt over the easter holidays and will try to get to Saas Fee for a day whilst in Zermatt. We will be driving out, so shouldn't be a problem for the day. The nursery slopes are just above the village and did not have much snow on them, but it was only November, and they were starting to make snow on them whilst I was there.

If you need any more information on Saas Fee let me know. I've never been to Les Gets, so can't compare.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thank you everybody for your comments, as ever this place is a wealth of info
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
been to both quite regularly, so think i can answer your questions:

saas fee has north facing runs, so does get cold as in the shade often, but by march it should be fine with sun higher up. has good beginner areas at the base and at the top, and is one giant bowl so all runs head back to the town - that means that you never even have to take 1 lift if you wanted to head back for the afternoon. from what you say, i would suggest saas fee as ideal - chocolate box village, impressive in itself and close to zermatt which i reckon is more impressive than chamonix, and easier to get down for lunch.

les gets snow will not be a problem untill mid april, and resorts prob better for beginners and intermediate skiiers, but its lower down and you end up skiing across valleys, so will make it much harder to get back for afternoon, especially if you decided to head to avoriaz for a day or something.

neither should be busy in march, i reckon the best time to go skiing. have fun!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy