Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alyeska

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter (15) has a chance to go to Alyeska with her school (next Easter half-term). Has anyone been before? Feedback appreciated. She has skied once before. TIA
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sweet! What a place to go. I think with anywhere in Alaska it always run the risk of not being open due to very extreme weather patterns.

Sadly I haven't skied there. Hope she goes and has a great time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The resort is tiny.

Apres is average.

The onpiste and offpiste are steep.

I suspect the teachers have chosen Alyeska mostly for their own benefit.

Still, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that could influence her outlook forever.

The views are topnotch.

The daylight hours are long during Spring.

They have had huge early-season snowfalls already this year.

Do it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Men out number woman by 10 to 1 Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
Men out number woman by 10 to 1 Sad

Okay...where can I get a cheap flight from? wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all your comments. Not sure about sending my daughter to such a testosterone fuelled place ! Are there any novice/intermediate slopes? Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bucholie, google it. I take it it's not a school ski trip? There must be some other reason to go there (for a school)?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, thanks. Already done that but wanted the personal views/experiences of fellow SnowHeads (= inside track) Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The guys in Alaska may be starved but they know where to draw the line.

Is it a school trip? If so, it will be a tremendous opportunity.

If it is, the company will have chosen it because of the fact that the kids have no chance of getting on the beer and there will be other activities besides skiing. Yes there is beginner and intermediate terrain.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I skied there twice and its great but its very cold and exposed the lifties were sneding people in after each run to get a hot drink, and also lifts can get shut due to poor weather conditions
But I'd go again.

On the men outnumbering women thing it was great, its worth the flight Elizabeth B if your single.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was there for a day right at the end of last season and had an 'interesting' day skiing in the rain and fog. I can't really comment on the resort overall (or the male/female ratio for that matter) as I couldn't actually see it but I thought the terrain was varied and interesting and I'm sure there must be options for beginners if the school has chosen it?

But, more than all that, it's in ALASKA for god's sake! What a place to visit whether you ski or not, so assuming she doesn't already live in Anchorage I'd say go for the experience if nothing else...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed over the last day or so.

A good spread of comments etc. and on balance I think we will send her on the trip! (Poor thing!!??)

I think that is great that you can get a response from people who care about snow sports and give you unbiased opinions. Cheers All. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Friends went there and expected the Alaskan thing and it was a small area and just happend to have the "worst snow for 50 years"
There was a comp on that week and they closed half the area ..which is tiny by European standards anyway, so this didn't help.
The standard of skier was very high, they said, but would not go back again...

I think the trip might be wasted on your daughter from a sking POV..but may work as a trip of a lifetime.
You can visit the glaciers via heli which was worth doing apparently.

Overall, if the trip isn't too expensive and she will be going with some good firends, then i don't think the ski area is that much of an issue either way... On balance, if she wants to go on the trip, then great, but not because it is Alaska, IMV
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, - thanks. I'll be watching the snow reports avidly.... it's in the lap of the snow god (is there one?). As you say she will be with her friends and it should be a great experience. Kids these days have it so much better than when i was a teenager. She got back from a ne educational cruise round the Med' in October... (pyramids, Nile cruise, Istanbul etc). Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i went in 2001 stayed in the alyeska prince hotel, she will love it during the week the slopes are empty its only at the weekends you get slight queues as the locals pour in.. snow is great ,views spectacular, and she could do a cruise for the day on resurection bay
ski holidays
I've now been to aleyska twice ....in summer conditions Sad! The second time me and my dad just walked around and there was still bit of snow up the top so we "skiied" by slidding like pros Very Happy was fun heard it is good though and slopes look nice but yeh its about a 45 min drive from Anchorage and its along the coast road which is pretty nice in its views - occasionally you get to see some kind of whale or marine mammal (name escapes me)! Plenty of good fish and sea food up there so make sure to eat some !
snow report
Second hand knowledge: unless the purpose of the school trip is more then skiing this is a strange choice to travel all the way from UK to Alyeska. Limited intermediate terrain, even less for true novices. Good expert terrain and staging for nearby expert heli skiing operations. Did you see this good, recent article at Firsttracks:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3120
snow report
Odd choice for a ski holiday.
snow conditions
Bucholie, Sorry, back to my original question. Is it a. a ski trip? or b. an adventure/educational trip? If a., seems like a weird one to me...
snow report
David Murdoch, It's a school trip and i was also concerned about the choice - hence my wish to tap inot the 'pool of knowledge' from fellow SnowHeads...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy