Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please on skiing holiday in March, Les Gets?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, am looking at booking a skiing holiday for a group but as I've only been skiing twice myself I'm nervous that I'm doing the right thing and have a good deal! Would anyone mind seeing if I've made any major errors? Please?

Our group:
1 couple: 1 beginner looking to learn, one basic skier (me!), 2 4-year olds
1 couple: 1 advanced skier looking to get some good skiing in, one intermediate, a 3 year old and a baby
1 couple: granny and granddad, both intermediate skiers.

So we are 6 adults, 2 4 year olds, a 3 year old and a baby.

I'm looking to book the Portes de Soleil chalet with Ski Famille in Les Gets for the w/c 8th March (just after French half-term?) which we would fill up perfectly. The price is £595 for the adults, £520 for the children and £375 for the baby, all childcare included.

I think we are nice and close to basic skiing facilities and lifts. I think there is a ski school where the 4 year olds can go? And maybe even the 3 year old? I'm not sure.

My main questions:
- Has anyone been with Ski Famille and did they rate it?
- Has anyone been to the Portes de Soleil chalets specifically, anything we need to know?
- Am I right that the location is good/doorstep?
- Will there be enough skiing for the advanced skier to get his fix?
- Is this a fair price? Our flights will add up to an additional £250 each which we're willing to pay but I'm just anxious that we get value for money!!!

Many thanks in advance for any advice, views, warnings or recommendations!

Mir x
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mirjam, Welcome to snowHeads. snowHead
I haven't been with SkiFamille, but have been with http://www.snowteam.com/index.htm for 2 weeks. Highly recommended. Very Happy
Mont Chery is great for advanced skiers and normally very quiet, with some great off-piste.
I drove to resort, but snowteam include transfers from Geneva in their prices, so just book Easyjet.
Les Gets is a really nice resort, with normally very good snow even though it is quite low.
For Ski Schools I would recommend BASS Les Gets
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi and thanks for the welcome Happy. Snowteam looks good but the in-house childcare included in the price attracted me to Ski Famille. I'm glad that Mont Chery is good for advanced skiers too and the snow record sounds great! I've looked at Easyjet and prices do include transfers so hopefully all will be okay. I'll bear in mind BASS Les Gets then for ski school!

Thanks again,

Mir x
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mirjam, welcome to Snowheads. Les Gets is a good choice, and I can second the recommendation for BASS. I can't comment on the company though, or the location, as I don't know that chalet. But you have picked a really good week - I can certainly confirm that. Probably the best week of the season, still plenty of snow, and no crowds. As a skiing grandmother, I am glad that grandma is not going to be doing all the child care!! There are a lot of Snowheads with expert knowledge on the Port du Soleil who will be along with advice; we've been to Les Gets twice, and done a few trips from there, but not experts on the area (nor expert skiers, either).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Pam and no an expert I am not either!!!! Very Happy We are hoping grandma and granddad might babysit one evening but wouldn't do that to kids or grandparents! Also, I like the fact we can take or leave the childcare as and when, which means less pressure for everyone really. Do you know if BASS take children under 5?

Thanks,

Mir x
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Do you know if BASS take children under 5?

no, sorry. I suspect they might not except in private lessons. And given my grandmotherly knowledge of 4 year olds, I don't blame them! Send them an email - I'm sure they'll be very helpful.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
3rd vote for BASS

Don't know much about Ski Famille, but have heard no negative comments.

I loved Les Gets when I was getting confident on blues / beginning to tackle red slopes. The beginner areas looked good as well. Les Gets itself hasn't got much in the way of advanced on piste but there are the 2 blacks off the back of Chery, and Morzine is close at hand. For more adventurous skiing, you'd need to head over to Avoriaz.

The only downside I think to Les Gets is that it's a bit off the main Portes du Soleil circuit; I wonder if your chalet has provision to transport you to Avoriaz or Morzine rather than ski there?

And welcome to snowHead Snowheads
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Pam - yes I see your point about 4 year olds and I'm loath to put mine into a ski school 2 hours a day for a week as I'm not sure he'd like it. I've heard so many parents rave though about how much their children enjoyed skiing age 3 or 4 that I wanted to give mine a chance to try. Other parents would teach their own I imagine but I am simply not good enough.....!

Thanks also for welcome doctor eeyore! I am hoping to get confident on blues this year! The blacks and Morzine sound great for our advanced skier. As for Avoriaz, I read that in the event of no snow, there is transport to Avoriaz but not normally I don't think. But if there are sufficient runs where we are for 5 half days (we'll be with the kids the other half) that will suit us perfectly I think!

Thanks again,

Mir x
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mirjam, I've stayed with Ski Famille ( 3 times I think), my Better Half even more often ( 5??) . I had nothing but the best things to say about them. However, given their staff change every year, their standards may have improved or declined - nearly 3 years since I was there. I wrote a report in 'Resorts' /'Trips' I think.

Our friends had kids/infants ( we don't) and they thought it great value for money.

Not sure about the chalet location -- they change frequently.. If you want to identify the chalet, I'm sure someone will help but the Ski Famille 'Landies' are very obliging in terms of pick-up and drop off.

I have to say I wouldn't go anywhere near BASS ( I took lessons with them because of the Ski Famille tie-up) ... exorbitantly over-priced and didn't get me anywhere. After 3 days I switched to 360International , they managed to get me 'up' and 'moving' on skis.

There is a poster here who is part of Ski Famille -- but then again he/she has probably already pm'd you ! PM me if you have any other questions you feel you can't post in public.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mirjam, Embarassed Just realised you said you were staying in 'Portes du Soleil'. A long-standing SF 'chalet' x2 (?) - perhaps they own them. Very central but on main road ... bit close to a couple of the bars possibly. That wouldn't worry me but each to their own ... never stayed there .

Location will not necessitate your use of the 'Landies' ( unless you want to go up Chevannes)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gosh thanks for all this advice, I presume 'Landies' are Landrovers? Yes I noticed a note about some potential noise due to nearby bars but I think we'll be fine. I've just heard from a friend who stayed there and has travelled with Ski Famille before, he was in exactly that chalet! His main complaint was that the 'chalet boy' apparently and unfortunately lived up to what I would call rather stereotypical expectations, cooking and cleaning to 'male' standards (his words, not mine!). I might check before I book who the chalet staff are although I'm not sure if that's known so far in advance!!!

Just checked my inbox but no PM there. Interesting what you said about BASS. I've had one good and one bad private instruction experience so am acutely aware of the varying qualities in ski schools (although it seems to me that can also vary per instructor rather than the entire school!).

Mir x
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mirjam, Sorry, yes 'Landies' are Land Rovers'. This site has a Land Rover-holic and I've fallen into the trap!

No point checking on the 'chalet staff' before booking as they change based upon who's Drunk, Homesick, Broken-a-Leg or whatever in our experience. They changed a lot over the season. They do have 'regulars' though but suspect they are reserved for the 'Premium'/Bigger chalets. Only advice can be complain to the Ops Manager in resort if you're unhappy on Day 1!

Good/Bad Instruction ... yes. But at their prices BASS would have to be 'world-class best' to provide 'value'. In my experience they were the opposite end of the spectrum. Since then ( in last 3 years) I've had perhaps 8/9 instructors ... only one was anywhere near as bad and a couple immeasurably better... and they were private lessons. Vested interest --- a couple of the 360 guys have become friends .... but that would not change what I have written above.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agenterre wrote:
Mirjam, Sorry, yes 'Landies' are Land Rovers'. This site has a Land Rover-holic and I've fallen into the trap!

My ears are burning Toofy Grin
snow report
 brian
brian
Mirjam, ctskifam is the snowHead from Ski Famille. I believe they'll be along very shortly offering you a whopping discount. wink Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
I've had lessons with Brit ski schools in Avoriaz & Morzine privately and in groups; (both before & after they split - I think they were at one point the same outfit); ESF group and ESF privately in various resorts. My lessons last year with BASS were the best. Ever.

Just thought I ought to counter Agenterre's arguments against them.
snow conditions
Quote:

Other parents would teach their own I imagine

No, lots wouldn't, it's best left to instructors; apart from anything else they are much less inclined to moan with instructors. However, I would not throw most 4 year olds into ski school. Some people rave about how their kids do red runs at age two and a half but for every such child there are plenty more who just get cold and fed up and cry and say they never want to go to ski school ever again! So much depends on the child, on the instructor, and on the weather. In March the weather should be good, though you can never tell! When I took my daughter, aged 4, it was a two week holiday and she spent the first week pottering round, doing some tobogganing, building snowmen, learning not to moan.... we hired skis and boots for her for a day, and just let her do "hands on knees" down a very gentle slope, with me pulling her up again (!). She was very keen to do ski school and we told her she could, if she wasn't a wimp, and didn't moan ONCE on the day she had the skis. She knew from experience that I meant it (and boy, could she moan when in the mood!). She was OK, and did the whole week, and got on well, but no way would she have done it without the preparation time (not to mention the threats, plus bribes from her big brother which they paid out when she got up the nursery slope draglift). Some kids are obviously tougher, and more independent. But I think a lot of the parents who have child prodigy skiers have put in a LOT of time with them, and are good skiers themselves. It's difficult on a one week holiday, especially when you have to book in advance. The 360 ski school seems to get lots of votes - though no personal experience. I agree BASS are expensive, and that must be very annoying if you don't feel you've learnt anything. I hope Agenterre complained. Might be worth a chat with the ski school on the phone - but holidaying with little ones really means putting in a lot of time with them, to be sure they enjoy it and are keen to go again.
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:
360International

http://www.skisurf360.com/

Interesting site...
snow report
Hello again Agenterre and LOL at staff, which is a fair point. I suppose it's a case of hit and miss and hoping the company vet their 'chalet staff' to a certain standard at least! Thanks for other advice too.

Mir x
snow report
Brian: Ooh now that would be a major result! I'll keep you posted! Laughing

Mir x
ski holidays
Thanks for counter argument doctor eeyore, I have to say my bad experience was with ESF but they are such a massive ski school, I'd not dare say that the one lousy instructor makes for a lousy ski school.... Thanks!

PS I can't make any sense of the ski 360 site but it has some under construction notices on it so maybe I'm not just being daft...

Mir x
snow report
Interesting experience Pam and one of many I'm sure, knowing my own 4 year old! I'm not at all convinced he would ski without moaning but want to give him a chance to prove me wrong. The other 4 year old is a very tenacious, competitive little boy who no doubt will be one of those whizzing prodigies we all hear about! Laughing

I'm thinking the solution could be hiring a private instructor (if possible!) for one session with all 3 (and so hiring the kit for one day too) to see how it all goes down, then take it from there. The hands on knees thing down a hill sounds like a top tip but I assume you'd need to be on skis too for that? I can only see myself doing a backward flip followed by my ubiquitous chinplants which may also not be the best example to set my son.....! Laughing

Mir x
snow report
I thought that I would add my two pence worth on BASS. We have used them every year for the past 4 or 5 years for the children, and whilst excellent at the start, the quality (subjective I agree) has detoriated every year, whilst the marketing has improved every year - is there a correlation..!?

Last year, we had a pretty poor time with them. From our group of friends, we had six kids in various classes and all of us agreed to an extent that we were less than satisfied with the service and would reconsider this year. Our complaints fell on deaf ears at the time which was the most annoying thing. For some reason, their attitude had changed. I think that BASS are becoming too popular and much bigger. We had to book almost a season in advance to get the sessions that we wanted, and we always go outside the peak times - ie, next year we will be in Les Gets the same week as you.

When we received the renewal e-mail this year, they had put their already expensive prices up to a ridiculous level. I have now booked our lot into private lessons elsewhere for not much more than their prices and for more hours on the slopes.

In the past I have recommended BASS on these forums, and I know that a majority will continue to do so. All I am suggesting is that one needs to be aware that reputations do change, and as you say Mirjam, one bad apple (two in our case) can spoil the whole bag.

On a happier note - Les Gets is great, especially for families. We are a group of pretty competent skiers and boarders, and we find plenty of amusement around the PDS. You will enjoy your holiday there.
snow report
doctor_eeyore, No ..it's an awful, cheap site Toofy Grin ... BASS' site ,however, would appear to have had a lot of money spent on it wink

As I've posted again I may as well respond to pam w, if I may. No, I didn't complain. After 3 days of private lessons I was distraught .. last thing on my mind was complaining as I was told 'some people didn't make it' . On Day 4 ..new school, new instructor ... major improvements. Never could be bothered to complain after that ... new challenges etc. I (now) know BASS' owner ( a smashing bloke) and dread his working out my identity.

I should stop as this thread will be derailed ... plenty of opportunity for our annual English v French, ESF v Others thread elsewhere I'm sure !
ski holidays
Mirjam, If you fancy the Portes du Soleil then there are a lot of private chalets - of whom the staff are NOT sterotypical and the rate per adult for that week should be around £350-£450 per person with flights on top. Childcare can be arranged with many of the British run Nanny agencies and you can have a very good holiday without having to use one of the larger operators. I would say come to us but we are full that week!! Try a post similar toyour one above on Chalets Direct and see what you get - you may be plesantly surprised at the choice and quality.
ski holidays
Tatty, Who did you complain to at BASS Les Gets? In my experience the boss Hugh Monney takes customer satisfaction very seriously. Worth dropping him an email.
ski holidays
I can also reccommend ski esprit, mark warner and snow bizz for skiing with children. Our 3 year old had lessons last year and loved it, but with ski -esprit etc. the nannies stay with the little ones during their class.
Friends have previously reccomended snowkidz and jack frost for les gets although i have never tried either of these.

Hope this helps
snow report
Hi Spyderman, As Agenterre said - I don't want to derail this thread either, but to answer your question, we initially complained to our instructor ( who was a very nice person!) who lead us to the head ski instructor (I forget his name) who was less than helpful. I did not feel like escalating it further as after 3 days of complaints to him and not getting anywhere, we felt that anyone higher up would be unlikely to override the decisions taken. There's a little more to it than that, but I was going to list all the problems to Hugh on renewal next March - however, in the end we just decided to go elsewhere. With hindsight, these issues should always be dealt with 'while they are hot'.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I've used 360 for private lessons as well. They were pretty good, certainly couldn't see how BASS were justifying charging 3 times as much (other than that was what the Brit market could support, obviously).
snow conditions
Tatty, I've just has a look at the BASS website re cost of lessons, I don't think £104 for 3x2 hours is unreasonable for a max class size of 6, or £65 an hour for private lessons, in English.
Surf 360 is a lot cheaper for sure, about £6.50 an hour, 8 in a class.
I'm sure Hugh would still like to hear why you decided to vote with your feet, if He doesn't know, He can't improve things for others.
latest report
Spyderman, We have always done the 5x2 hr lessons for £110. This year they are now £149 per person in a class of 6. I am now paying slightly more for a private group of 4 for 5x3 hours per day. (I won't advertise).

I'm not the complaining type Spyderman, so it must have been an issue for me to speak up. I've already written far too much knocking an organisation which I am never happy doing on a forum - these things gather momentum don't they..!? I may yet write to Hugh - or better still, speak to him personally next time in Les Gets - purely for feedback purposes, which I agree is always useful.
latest report
Spyderman, Oh come on ... let's just have a look at published costs for private lessons ..

BASS - £65 per hour for one person, £75 for two people
360 - £24 per hour for one person, £26 for two people ( actually €35/€40)

... and both teach 'in English' ...... maybe not 'unreasonable' for those who want to pay it

by my simple maths between 2 1/2 and 3 times more expensive. If we looked at our own Easiski in L2A , she's much, much closer to 360.
snow conditions
Quote:
The hands on knees thing down a hill sounds like a top tip but I assume you'd need to be on skis too for that?

No, I was on feet. I wasn't confident to take a little one up the drag, hence my having to pull her up myself - I gave her a ski pole to hang on to, and just hiked. That was probably quite good for her balance, too, not to mention my fitness. Being pulled up a ski slope with a pole, by your mother, is actually quite good practice for getting on a poma. I was not supposed to be skiing, actually - I had had a hysterectomy six weeks previously but had done a lot of physio to get back in shape and was fine. It was a very gentle slope, and if they put hands on knees, they stay in a sensible position - not falling over backwards. The main purpose of this session was to "de-wimp" the child, rather than inculcate anything technical. Inevitably she fell over a couple of times, but by that time she was quite motivated (having seen the other little girls her age, and her brothers, getting medals and photos at the Austrian ski school Friday night session). She then did German-only speaking ski school, so really she was quite brave. She had rehearsed "Ich heisse Alex. Ich kann nicht Deutsch", which she enjoyed saying and, at 4 years old, was one of the seniors in the class and twice the size of the others, who were all Austrian (or maybe German?).

My experience of BASS was a long time ago and more recent comments should therefore carry more weight. I had a great private ski lesson, some years ago, in Les Gets, with a BASS instructor who was Scottish and elderly. Being Welsh and elderly, I found him sympatico. He charged me and my sister £80 for a lesson in which he told us that the secret of skiing was to "stand on your feet". He was quite right, and at moments of stress and panic since I still say to myself "balls of the feet, balls of the feet". I'd have found him even more sympatico if he had not told me I was "sprightly" which, in my book, is an adjective only applied to people over 75! I digress....
snow report
Tatty thanks for that. I'm an avid forum user (elsewhere, on other subjects) and see that I've inadvertently touched a touchy debate between prolific posters of which there are always a few, sorry! I will stay out of all of that... but it's good to hear that you enjoyed yourself in Les Gets!

Mir x
snow report
Snowandtrek - that's interesting! I'm up for that and had considered it, it's just that as a beginner really myself and a whole group to book for including several children, I thought I'd take a more risk-free approach, simply because you get more feedback on a well known company - and Ski Famille strikes me as not a massive TO but also big enough te be known by a few people. However, you've made me curious now (!) so I will do what you suggested before I book, to see what I could book privately. Happy thanks for the tip!

Mir x

PS Had a look at your site and it does look nice. I suppose the objection I would have had with Chalet L'Ensoleille is that we are not with enough people to fill it up so would have to hope a nice couple or smaller group would be there. On my last ski holiday we did this and whilst the 'filler' couple were nice enough, it did kind of change the dynamics of the evening and I also think the couple may not have had the best time because we were such a loud group (sans children!). Then there was one bloke on his own in the chalet who kind of started stalking us because he had no friends there.... Shocked

PPS OMG just had a look at your menu, that looks amazing! I wouldn't mind finding another place that does your kind of food!!!
latest report
Thanks Fizz, I liked the purpose built look of Snow Bizz (although it is VERY purpose built isn't it, I had images of being in a giant Moto motorway station if you know what I mean!) but the transfer time is 2.5 hours on a coach by which time I am not sure if both my son and I would still be alive..... wink Did you not find that a pain? The others look like good recommendations, I suppose I'm trying to get as small as possible TO wise....!

Thanks again,

Mir x
snow report
Hi Pam - I'm going to try that with mine! I think it's a spiffing idea! I can see how it would work, I'd just have to run very fast wouldn't I, as he slowly slithers down the gentle slope. Laughing Sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Thanks for that!

Mir x
snow conditions
Quote:
I'd just have to run very fast wouldn't I, as he slowly slithers down the gentle slope.

the thing is to find a slope which is gentle enough, and with a nice flat run out at the bottom - and short. You don't want to exhaust yourself but he might enjoy racing you!
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
Spyderman, Oh come on ... let's just have a look at published costs for private lessons ..

BASS - £65 per hour for one person, £75 for two people
360 - £24 per hour for one person, £26 for two people ( actually €35/€40)

... and both teach 'in English' ...... maybe not 'unreasonable' for those who want to pay it

by my simple maths between 2 1/2 and 3 times more expensive. If we looked at our own Easiski in L2A , she's much, much closer to 360.

I have no experience of 360, but it sounds like they offer good instruction at excellent prices. My only experience in Les Gets is of BASS.
I'm only thinking for the quality that BASS offer, I don't think their charges are unreasonable, especially when you look at £150 an hour for Xscape.
snow conditions
Snowandtrek OMG I've just had a look on Chalets Direct which I didn't know existed and now I'm all confused because there is so much choice there that is so much more affordable! And as we're really not that bothered where we go, as long as the transfer is short and it's child friendly, I really don't know where to begin! Do you know why Chalets Direct has such a basic search engine? Is it not a commercial site? I imagine if you could search on whether or not there's an en-suite bathroom, proximity to lifts, proximity to centre, transfer time to airport and most importantly maximum and minimum price it would be so much more efficient...!

Thanks though, I may need to reconsider entirely now......!

Mir x
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy