Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

driving to la tania xmas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
driving with three children to la tania, advice on place to stay near by for one night really appreciated. as indeed would advice on a good route - quickest!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saraabifran, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saraabifran, welcome, this web site provides excellent route with all the tolls and camera info too,
www.viamichelin.com
I generally flop into a formula 1 or similar dotted around nearly every French town and cheap too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to Snowheads ! Unlike England, as jbob says, France has lots of good value motels on every town outskirts so go on their websites and book ahead: premiereclassse.fr; etaphotel.com; Accorhotels.com, to name but 3. Etap have 2 hotels at Chambery & 1 at Albertville; 1er Classe have one at Chambery. Most rooms have one double and one bunk bed; some do have rooms for 4. Good luck.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi saraabifran , depends how close you mean by nearby? There's an Ibis in Moutieres is just a the bottom of the hill, La Tania is less than 20 minutes away. Lots of basic hotels on the route, and a few better ones just off the main roads. If you're into 'sharing' facilities then Formule1 is ok, if not please remember, you get what you pay for. I've always chose close to the autoroute and avoided the town centers. Your circumstances appear to be a little different. Childen to consider. Going to the resort, my stop has always been for no more than a few hours rather than a full night. This year, as I have to travel from Manchester, I'm getting the overnight Hull-Zeebrugge ferry outbound. This means a fresh start from Belgium in the morning so no overnighter in France.
For the route, i'd stick to the main autoroutes, again this would depend when you travel and what times to intend passing key points.
With a Calais start, travel towards:- Reims, Troyes, Dijon, Lyon, Chambery, Albertville, Moûtiers, finally La Tania.
As jbob said, look at www.viamichelin.com , also get a good map and\or a satnav (I can now hear the pings of followup postings about not using a satnav) wink
There are several other threads advising on car travel, bits to take, for instance snow chains. Good luck reading them and good luck for the trip.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
saraabifran, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Have you found La Tania's own unofficial English website?
www.latania.co.uk
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Advice = 3 kids = get a portable DVD player or 2.

Hotels - half way from Calais is somewhere between Troyes and Dijon..Accor hotels and all the standard French chains have good (much better than the UK) out of town hotels stops...

The route I would take is Calais..Saint Quentin..Reims..Troyes..Dijon..Lyon..Chambery..Albertville..La Tania....I don't drive for a living and so I recommend stopping rather then trying to do it all in one day..but that’s just me.

Nearer anywhere Chambery, Albertville or Moutiers is close...for example there is an Ibis in Moutiers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'm getting the overnight Hull-Zeebrugge ferry outbound. This means a fresh start from Belgium in the morning

Maybe, though I can't say I always felt "fresh" getting off the ferry when we used to do overnight Portsmouth/Le Havre!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Driven there several times with 3 kids - generally we stay near Dijon. An early start gets you to La Tania mid-morning on the Sat.

Have a look at the Logis de France web site
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,

We are driving to Meribel for Christmas and are planning on staying here. This is near Dole/Dijon and we stayed here last Easter on our way to Les Carroz. Nice small hotel with decent restaurant and small kids playground (well a swing really) and family rooms.

Might see you there...

Cheers,
Peter
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is where we're staying on way down - haven't stayed there so before so can't vouch for it http://www.charmilles-fr.com/htgb/0001.htm

Have stayed here several times and love it, not really far enough south though http://www.le-val-moret.com/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were faced with exactly the same question when the Ibis in Moutiers autonomously cancelled my reservation in March. Evidently the hotels in Brides-les-Bains won't take less than full week bookings at that time of year so I had to look a bit further away - have eventually booked this place just outside Chambéry:

http://www.chateaudescomtesdechalles.com/

If we have to be further away, it might as well be nicer than an Ibis and be the real start of the holiday and the non-chateau rooms are only about 10 Eur more than the Moutiers Ibis anyway
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy