Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne or Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Spent all day to day trying to book my feb half term trip, but just cant make my mind up. I like the looks of La Plagne and Les Arcs. My worries are;
1. Which resort to stay in
2. Is the linked ski area a 'gimmick' will we be able to ski the area or will it just be skiing from one lift queue to another.
3. Can anyone recommend an independent company in the area. (via PM)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Based on my experience there last Feb half term, stay in Les Arcs. We stayed at Arcs 2000 where the snow was miles better than it was in La Plagne, which was extremely patchy near the Vanoise Express.

Keep in mind that last year's season wasn't brilliant, though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In February half-term the area will be at its busiest. The quietest parts of the domain are likely to be the outer areas away from the main villages, so for Les Arcs this tends to be the slopes above Villaroger. I don't think there will be much difference between Les Arcs and La Plagne, and the link between the two resorts does enable you to ski the entire area as one ski domain, so in that sense I don't think it is a gimmick.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jtobin03, I'm not going to help you much as I disagree rather with both of the above.

hyweljenkins is being naughty in comparing Arcs 200O (so at 2000m) with the conditions near the Vanios Express which is at 1600 metres.

Unlike rob@rar I do think the Vanoise Express a bit of a con.
The two resorts are linked, but not the same that Tignes and Val d'Isere, or Courchevel and Meribel are linked.
You can't ski from one to the other.
The Vanoise Express is essentially a bus in the air.
A very quick bus, I agree. But I think of it more like Obergurgl and Solden.
(and am now ducking in anticipation of the flak snowHead )

I would go for La Plagne - in particular, Belle Plagne.
But Les Arcs is a very fine resort as well.
Toss a coin. As good a way of making the decision as any. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim, good point, but the Les Arcs side was far better, even at the Vanoise Express.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonpim, no flak from me as it depends on your definition of linked resorts. These days I see Les Arcs and La Plagne as one (large) domain in exactly the same way as I see Tignes and Val d'Isere as one domain. I have a Paradiski pass so can decide each day where to ski - favourite parts of the domain are at the opposite ends (area above Villaroger and area above Champagny).

In Feb half term Belle Plagne, and the other central villages, are going to be very busy. If you had the choice I'd stay somewhere on the periphery (Villaroger, Montalbert, Champangny).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jtobin03, I agree with all the above Very Happy One thing is for sure February half term is the busiest/worst week of the year Toofy Grin In La Plagne where possible the pistes are made wider and every single lift is open all day.
The snow low down on either side of the Vanoise Express was 'iffy' on several occaisions last season but on the LP side more snow making has been instaled this summer.
Whichever side you stay a trip on the Vanoise Express is worth the add on cost to the pass price, to give you an idea have a look at this thread from a couple of weeks ago http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=761516#761516
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar,
Quote:

If you had the choice I'd stay somewhere on the periphery (Villaroger, Montalbert, Champangny).

Yep so would I Laughing wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To make full use of the whole domain you need to stay close to the Vanoise. Plan Peisey/Montchavin or Les Coches.

I don't think the Vanoise is a con. We use it every day and find the skiing both sides very different so its great. However to make full use of it you need to stay close to it but at half term it may just be to busy to bother. We go off season.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gwaelod wrote:
To make full use of the whole domain you need to stay close to the Vanoise.

I don't think that's the case. It's less than 30 minutes from Arc 1950 to the Vanoise Express, for example, which doesn't really have much of an impact on the time you have to ski at the opposite end of the domain.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar,

Thats fine if you know the domain. If you know the area on of the best places in my opinion for the Vanoise and to see the whole area is Belle Plagne. However if you only have a week and have never skied the area then trying to figure runs and best routes can takes a few days. Come to think of it best stay Les Arcs side, it is far better after all wink snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gwaelod wrote:
rob@rar,

Thats fine if you know the domain.

Yes, that's a fair point, although I think the improved signposting makes it easier to find the Vanoise Express from that side of Les Arcs than it was a couple of years ago. From Arc 2000 and 1950 it's just one lift (Bois de l'Ours) then follow the blues across to Peisey (Arpette, Villards, Plan Bois, Retour Plan Peisey).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want to use both areas I would dfinitely consider one of the lower villages. Certainly cheaper and prettier, but still with good access.

I stayed in Plagne 1800 whichis fine for access to La Plagne slopes, but it took 1.5 hours to reach the Vanoise and back - makes a big difference in time available.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,

JimW likes that route to. Much prefer up to Transarc and a blast down to Vanoise from there. Lovely run and a nice stetch of the legs. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've normally stayed in Plagne Centre and it is possible for good skiers to get to the Vanoise Express for opening time at 9:30 ( if it hasn't changed). Therefore staying in Les Coches or Montchavin isn't much more advantagous.
snow conditions
pah! We've skied from Montalbert to the top of Transarc and back to Montalbert for lunch at 1.00 sharp! Very Happy
It was this 'adventure' that gave rise to, "c'mon Dad why have you stopped?" To which I replied through gritted teeth, "because my thighs are on fire" Twisted Evil

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 26-11-07 9:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
boredsurfin, I really enjoyed my ski from the top of Transarc back to the VE. Its a lovely area.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Dunno, I wasn't given time to admire the scenery Twisted Evil wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin,

Laughing Laughing
snow report
jtobin03, I think you can pick the drifh that this is an area with lots of modern fast lifts, so to an extent it doesn't matter where you are. BUT For Feb half term I agree about the lower village advice but would point you to Peisey Vallandry for quiter tree skiing on the Les Arcs (I initially typed French, because it does feel so much more French tha La Plagne in general) side. I have just looked and my favourite company is fully booked at that time but Ski Hiver who I have also stayed with have availability in the old village of Peisey.
snow report
You can of course ski both Les Arcs and La Plangne using the link and planning carefully. But IMHO, there is enough in either resort to keep you happy. Therefore pick the resort you like the look of/best accomodation or whatever and go with that
snow report
Boris, Well said.

boredsurfin, well you will just have to do it all again at a more leisurely pace this season
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
pah! We've skied from Montalbert to the top of Transarc and back to Montalbert for lunch at 1.00 sharp! Very Happy
It was this 'adventure' that gave rise to, "c'mon Dad why have you stopped?" To which I replied through gritted teeth, "because my thighs are on fire" Twisted Evil

What time did you leave 11am? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
La Plagne is great to ski but if your looking for night life as well look else where.... When I went at least (April time) there wasn't much happening.
latest report
gwaelod,

The main reason for my preferring Bois de L'Ours and not going down to Marmottes, then up the lift, across to Arcabulle, up there, and and over the Transarc top is purely one of time.
I agree tis a great run down that way, and is probably preferred as "ski trip" rather than as a route to get somewhere else .... if that makes sense! If I just want to get to Vanoise, the route as per Rob is at least 7-10 mins quicker (or at least, feels it...).

jtobin03
In some senses the Vanoise link as described as a 'bus in the air' is a perfect analogy, since you ski to the cable car, then a session / day over "the other side", then come back. And that's the same, which ever side you start from.

I guess the difference between it and say for an example from slightly further away, the bus from Keystone to Breckenridge, is that you can choose to return at almost any time: we've been over to La Plagne for the morning from 1950, then back to Peisey for lunch.
It also can be reached (relatively) quickly from most of the resort (well, certainly Les Arcs side) so it can be a spontaneous decision to go.

But as for the "why it was built": its purpose, IMHO, was to be able to 'sell' Paradiski as a mega-resort with global clout in the marketing world. And as importantly to attract people to return for more than just 1 visit.

But if you think that you will spend a lot of time crossing between the two, then you are missing out on a lot that either resort has to offer - you won't find all the gems in either, in just one week, and especially not if you are heading down the main drags to get to the Vanoise, just to go in the other direction all the time!
snow conditions
gwaelod wrote:
[Much prefer up to Transarc and a blast down to Vanoise from there. Lovely run and a nice stetch of the legs. snowHead

Isn't that two lifts rather than one?
ski holidays
rob@rar, No, just the one. I like to buzz down to Vagere and up again and then on down to Peisey just to get a few more turns in, and it gets you on to the Bosses, or down Rhodos on the way.
I'm looking forwards to not riding the Plan Bois refrigerator this year as well. snowHead
snow report
Martin Nicholas wrote:
rob@rar, No, just the one.

How do you get from Arc 2000 or 1950 to the top of the Transarc?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jtobin03,
I suspect I'm not adding a lot in this post but I think either resort should keep most skiers entertained for a week and most skiers would enjoy either. A subjective impression (Based on hearsay for Les Arcs off piste) is that for Piste skiers Les Arcs has more challenges but for Off Piste La Plagne shades it on the variety and extent.
As far as the Paradiski pass is concerned most people I have met have not really wanted to ski the other resort more than once in a week as there is plenty to do in the 'home resort' and less faff travelling. So unless you want to rack up the miles in the other resort I would tend to go for the option that gives you just one day away.
snow report
rob@rar, Martin Nicholas,

Its two. Down to Marmottes lift at the bottom of 1950 beside the Bos de L'ours lift. Up on that of an up on Arcabulle to Transarc. Only takes a few minutes.
latest report
Thank you all for the information. I am now much clear on the linked aspect of the resorts. I have done most of my skiing in the 3Vs and PDS which are very much interlinked.

The info from all has given me more to think about as most people appear to suggest to stay on the edge of the resorts, while I was thinking of going to the main resort centres.

My next point is the transfer I am used to long queues into resorts at half term but with so many villages in one area is this going to be one of the worst!!!
ski holidays
Thank you all for the information. I am now much clear on the linked aspect of the resorts. I have done most of my skiing in the 3Vs and PDS which are very much interlinked.

The info from all has given me more to think about as most people appear to suggest to stay on the edge of the resorts, while I was thinking of going to the main resort centres.

My next point is the transfer I am used to long queues into resorts at half term but with so many villages in one area is this going to be one of the worst!!!
ski holidays
Spyderman, Race yer! Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Road from Moutiers (3-V turn-off) > Aime > Bourg is slow, thin and windy, and will always be busy on a 1/2 term weekend. you've got, La Plagne, Arcs, Rosiere, ValD'l / Tignes all trying to get down one little road.. doesn't take a lot to cause a hold up.

Try to get there early if self-driving, either all the way, or from an airport. - say aim to be at Moutiers by 10:30. Aime is about 12km closer than Bourg (and the turn off for Plan Peisey about 6km) so if that's your criteria for a successful holiday, choose La Plagne!

TO will usually allow 3 1/2 from an airport, maybe 4 on 1/2 term (any of Grenoble, Lyons, Geneva, Turin, Chambery)

OTOH, the train will take you straight to Aime or Bourg, and your only transfer concern is the taxi or bus up the mountain.
ski holidays
JimW wrote:
Quote:

say aim to be at Moutiers by 10:30.

No way - I'd aim to be on the slopes for 10:30 - otherwise you will be sitting in traffic. You want to be driving upto resort from about 09:00 on that weekend surely? - I'd rather have an hour less in the overnight hotel and an hour more on the slopes or even just in resort on that weekend...
latest report
jtobin03, I've stayed in Plan Peisey twice (Feb 2005 and Feb Half Term 2007) with Ski beat. They have several chalets with most of them ski in but not ski out. Both stays have been good in nice modern chalets.

We used the Vanoise Express both times on two days each time. If you only go over for one day then I think it's cheaper just to upgrade for that day. Due to the nature of the link, you need to give yourself plenty of time to ski the other side and get back because of lift times and queues in the centre of La Plagne.

In 2005 I missed the turn off for the Vanoise on the way back and nearly ended up in Montchavin. I had to climb uphill 200m to get back on track. I was 15 minutes late for the last Vanoise back to Les Arcs. Fortunately my friends had persuaded the Vanoise lift guy to hold the Express for me.

I like Les Arcs for the wide tree lined runs above Vallandry. These are great for intermediates and beginners alike. But I also like the more challenging runs in La Plagne and it also feels bigger. I think the La Plagne side is a harder ski IMO. The runs back to the Vanoise have always been icy on my two visits. Also if you stay in Les Arcs and go over, it seems to take quite a while to get into the main La Plagne domain.

I have also been to the 3V's three times now and do prefer the normal type of "linked" resorts, as there is usually more than one way to go and come back. That said if you go to Les Arcs I would definitely go on the Vanoise for the experience, whichever side you stay on.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Spyderman, Race yer! Laughing

Let's kick the tyres and light the fires. Laughing
Lunch is on the loser. wink
latest report
Once again thanks for the help, but I think other half has but a spanner in the works as she has found a place in La Rosiere which has more luxuary extras (pool suana etc). I want a ski holiday not a trip to the leisure centre.
ski holidays
jtobin03,
Quote:

found a place in La Rosiere which has more luxuary extras (pool suana etc).

You may not realise it but you have just hit snowHead nirvana. 5000+ people are now insanely jealous snowHead

Oops 8850+ people, I am out of date Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
jtobin03 wrote:
Once again thanks for the help, but I think other half has but a spanner in the works as she has found a place in La Rosiere which has more luxuary extras (pool suana etc). I want a ski holiday not a trip to the leisure centre.

You need to study this thread in that case Very Happy http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17956
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy