Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SZK/CEM..ski boot shaft alignment questions

Poster: A snowHead
I'd like to see a before and after of someone skiing to see how really beneficial this might be to punters.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER, i would say it could do , but it depends on the foot and the amount of lift of the hallux.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM, Can you describe the type of foot and amount of lift to the hallux that wouldn't have it's Dorsiflex effected? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
if you have a foot with limited dorsiflexion of the hallux, then trying to lift the toe can invert the foot and jam everything up, if the foot is very mobile and the hallux is lifted too far this cna cause the 1st metatsal shaft to plantar flex making a depression below the 1st MPJ in the orthotic if this is not accounted for in the finishing process then the orthotic will invert the forefoot with the same effect.

I think looking at this another way if the technician takes all factors into account when producing the device it will not limit the amount of dorsiflexion available, but that amount is the amount available and it cannot be increased without working on the selective muscles which are either weak or tight

my brain hurts now, i know waht i am trying to say but the words aren't coming to me right now
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, Stand barefoot, flat as you feel comfy, then flex, now lift the big toe as if in windlass, now flex.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow -

CEM yes - I'll call you next time I am in London:sH:

jimmjimm,
Quote:

How can you say that it is only for racers and John Wayne?

In the context of my post I was answering skimottaret who asked if grinding was for 'High End' - I think I answered by saying it is 'really for racers and john wayne (extreme alignment problems - bow legged), and not 'only' for racers.........

Bode is also a natural and awesome talent - it helps.

Alginment, there are many variables to consider and IMHO a global approach should be taken.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, when i do that the 1st ray trys to plantar flex and hits the ground which inverts my foot, if the ground was very soft then it will not invert but the 1st mpj would plantar flex to a level below the natural ground surface, if this is the natural position of the foot when in a neutral position [as if the foot were non weight bearing, in sub talar neutral, ie the forefoot pronated against the rearfoot to lock the mid tarsal joint] then it must be accounted for in the manufacture of the orthotic device
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, Ok, Stand on the lateral plane of both feet, almost to the extreme of falling over, see the effect on dorsiflexion, when you bring the foot back through STN to pronation. I think the difference between the two points is unbeliveable, on me at least.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got this wonderful mental picture of bootfitters all over Europe pretending to be rather squiffy ballet-dancers... Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Actually, against all expectation, I'm finding this thread really interesting. Shocked Sorry to see SZK's customary Friday night vocabulary turn into question marks, though, it was rather entertaining. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, my point earlier about "correction" was, as I'm sure you have come across, some/many UK based bootfitters trying to "correct" say, a completely pronated person into a neutral position with a footbed with an exceedingly high arch etc.

Without the knowledge or skills of what they are actually doing! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight, I think that should have been chucked at me, i'm not sure, but i agree and was part of my point about a well made Orthotic could add dorsiflexion. In reflection i see how that sounds odd, but if one has only ever skied with the kind of Orthotic you talk about i belive dorsiflexion will be reduced.
I think your point about 'Bootfitters' making 'Corrective' footbeds for skiing (NOT WALKING or EVERYDAY!), not being an issue if handled properly. This may anger the qualified but hey.
IMO most bootfitters mean well, i hope! None of them want to play Doctor, Doctors and Nurses i do however enjoy.
Second, many of the work i have seen from the 'qualified' is as useful as a Chocolate Teapot.
Third, Bootfitters are experimental by nature, well we are, and will like to play with what they know and push the boundries to find the limits, this may include trying to see if they can do work they hear the mysterious 'Podatrist' does.
Fourth, If you were, in therory to inform your client, "I think this is your problem, i think i can fix it like this, i'm not a podiatrist or Doctor, i propose this, it's free and i'd like you to take it to see our physio to have your body checked out with it." Where is the harm?

OOOOps, dropped the can, worms escaping rapidly.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, i know what you are saying...what point are we trying to prove, as i read it an orthotic device which holds the foot in the correct position will allow more dorsiflexion than one which is over corrected....

****there is an amount of dorsiflexion available, this cannot be increased except by muscle stretching / strenghtening however it an be optomised by using the correctly made orthotic device****

veeeight, the understanding of morphology of the foot and biomechnaics is key to this, there are several types of pronated foot, but let's just look at two basic types RIGID and FLEXIBLE the rigid pronated foot is very hard to get into a true neutral position and it is these feet where most of the problems occur as people try to correct them*, the flexible pronated foot can be easily positioned into a neutral position, doing this is not [and this depends on the methodology] correcting the foot but supporting it in a position which the muscluature is unable to support it in [a chair as metioned earlier in the thread is an orthoitc device, it supports the body in a position which the muscluature of the body could not do for long periods of time]

* going back to this, a true rigid flat foot functions perfectly well in the position in which it is, trying to correct this would be interesting , where is the correct position?? IMO exactly where it sits on its own the key being that it is RIGID
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight,

Not only in the UK - it's a phase most boot fitters go through unless guided.

The better boot fitters tend to be lateral thinkers & good with their hands. Without guidance they will probably go through their own personal learning curve trying help with all good intentions by correcting a low arch (Pes Planus) with a high arch footbed or worse, inverting a high arch footbed! A shop in Val D'Isere went through this for 2-3 years (in the 90's) but came through to be one of the better shops in Europe - but it is a stage that some to go through unless guided.

It doesn't happen so much in the US - a litigation is a factor here Embarassed and undoubtedly will be in the UK sooner or later Shocked

Certainly the terms 'corrective' 'correction' should not be used unless qualified to do so. Accommodation is key for most clients - a relax foot is a happy foot. The right boot and accomodating the cuff alignment to the clients leg axis and you should'nt be far of the mark.

CEM
IMHO: I am not too sure that high definition moulding in 'windlass' is best practice as; a) it is dynamic 'heel to toe' model and b) the foot changes (size, fatigue etc) as the ski day goes on.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 2-12-07 11:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, On the Nose son, i'm cracking at this writing lark. BTW this is an early season dump of strong rigid feet of all shapes, i think Hyper-Mobility may strike around March this year. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tailskidder, That sounds spot on.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

thank you - now the next time you go to 'The Office' turn off your computer and don't turn it back on until the morning Laughing
snow conditions
tailskidder, Go Pi$$ up a rope Feck stick. Allow me to reveal that as my true self. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, we had a small shower of hypermobility last week but yesterday had a dump of rigid i can't bend my ankle the best of which had been upsized and put on a pronated footbed and had the shell stretched to accomodate the compensation all when a heel lift and a decent footbed would have suficed Little Angel
latest report
Quote:

trying help with all good intentions by correcting a low arch (Pes Planus) with a high arch footbed or worse, inverting a high arch footbed!

I stood and watched, aghast, with one of my instructor colleagues, at the London Ski Show (probably the worst example) - customer after customer, who were having their footbeds made in the above manner...... Crying or Very sad
snow report
veeeight, Funnily enough, the don't teach that at Sidas in Voiron anymore. Give it five years and it will filtre though to the UK. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

don't teach that at Sidas in Voiron anymore

Hopefully they never did Skullie - Sidas has a box of horrors collected during visits by one of their techs to resort shops. You can lead a donkey to......................
latest report
Quote:

I stood and watched, aghast, with one of my instructor colleagues, at the London Ski Show (probably the worst example) - customer after customer, who were having their footbeds made in the above manner......

Rule 1# Never buy ski boots or footbeds at ski shows.
latest report
Try telling that to those that queue and stampede inside, making a beeline for the boot stores...............
ski holidays
tailskidder, veeeight, Those people that buy ski boots at shows are an important part of my business, they become our clients after a week of skiing in their boots. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
you've got to admit that a three finger shell check does actually provides plenty of 'out of the box comfort' and room to grow!.
ski holidays
tailskidder wrote:
you've got to admit that a three finger shell check does actually provides plenty of 'out of the box comfort' and room to grow!.

Got my boots specified at the ski show by CEM with a 9/10mm shell gap. Should've gone to EB's wink
snow conditions
spyderjon, but you had the sense to come and have them fitted after the event Toofy Grin
anyway we seem to be way off topic [again] Shocked
snow report
CEM, thanks that makes sense, i may pop round some time to have you look at alignment, but i think i should try to improve strength and flexibilty in my weak leg before hand. i really like your views about how the different professions attack the problem, i may need a bit of everything wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, the machine we use for the balance testing is not mine and is not always here, so best give me a call and we can find a time when it is available for use
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy