Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre. to book or not to book

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Montgenevre, france in the milky way.all / any detail needed please.
what is the sking like, how easy are the links to milky way system,are there too many drags,what is the likleyhood of snow in early march?is it a nice resort to take my family, any good food on mountain is this an expensive resort for lunch ect ?
has anyone skied here.
thanks for your help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, good varied intermediate terrain with some good off piste. In Montgenevre there arent too many drags. However in the milky way it is drag hell.

A car would be handy to get to serre che or the rest of the mily way.

Very good snow in early march last year, most snow sure time of year in my opinion.

Brilliant family resort

not too many on piste mountain restaurants. they do tend to get busy, but the food is great and cheap. In comparison to the rest of France its rather cheap, but its the quality which counts! and its got that.

im there at christmas i cant wait.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only skied one day there (a day off from La Grave - skiing off piste with guide, so can't tell you anything much except there was some good off piste). I'll be going for 8 days the third week of January with off piste guide.
I'm told it has the best snow in the Milky way area and , since it is just above Briancon, you can quite easily take a taxi and ski at Serre Chevalier too (not sure how easy buses are).
It is a fairly small resort so you might have trouble finding somewhere at the last moment if the snow is good (but this is a guess).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not many mountain restaurants, but very easy to get back to the village for lunch. Good food at the Rois Mages, CaDelSol, Le Graal. Not forgetting Alexei's splendid Outside Burger Bar.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How about the connections to Sestrierre etc?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shorty, we skied there for one day in March 2007, and the conditions were excellent. I think skiing over to Sestriere takes the best part of a day, so you'd need to start early, we were going to try it, but couldn't, as we hadn't arrived from Serre Chavalier early enough to guarantee being back in time for our coach. We did, however, ski over to Claviere which was really nice. We had lunch in a fantastic restaurant in Claviere, which was very reasonable and the food was delicious.

I hope you have a good time ! Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm off to Claviere at half term, also need any detail about the resort, recommended food and drink, things for kids etc. from those in the know.

ta very muchly

ps sorry for partial hijack, but maybe mutually beneficial wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went there the last week in march 2001, loads of fresh snow as the spring storms funneled up over the pass, got up to +12 degrees one day so snow was softening quite a bit in the afternoon lower down, but kept nice higher up on the north-facing side of the area. The south-facing side suffered quite a lot in the freeze-thaw conditions. But I would guess that there's a lot of difference between the first and last weeks of March, so snow shouldn't be a problem for you.

The mountain restaurants were definitely better over the border in the Claviere sector (compare soulless modern cafeteria with cosy rustic huts serving fresh food). For the evenings, there was an excellent pizzeria named "Kilt" on the main drag in Claviere, I don't know if it's still there.

It's quite a trek on skis to get across to Sauze/Sestriere from Montgenevre, we got as far as Cesana only to find the chairlift links closed, but again this was very late in the season.

It's quite low-key and lacks the glitz (and steep prices) of the bigger name areas, but there's plenty of skiing and good food to be enjoyed, so enjoy!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was in Claviere and Monty last year and are going back the last week of feb this season. Of all the resorts in the milky way, Claviere and montgenevre are the most snow sure. Due to lack of snow at the others we didn't get to ski them.

Claviere has new lifts and, so i was told, so does sestriere as they put them in place for the olympics. Claviere is a brilliant small ski area with lots of options dependent on ability. not really suited for absolute befinners, but montgenevre has plenty for that level. Takes about 45 mins to ski from claviere to montgenevre and from the bottom, takes about 1 hour to get back over to claviere. Same again over to Sestriere i reckon. The top half of the run back over to claviere was my favourite piste - Colletto Verde? - nice and steep for the top half but flattens out after that so not ideal to boarders.

One thing about the area - the pistes never seem to get over crowded. It's ideal for getting plenty of runs into the day.

The best food i found was available in the mountain restaurant at the top of the first lift from claviere. superb choice and all good quality pastas, meat etc.

Lovely small resorts with limited (but excellent) night life. If you get the chance, make sure and go to the Gallo pub in Claviere for some apres ski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly, by anychance were you there at christmas last year? and skiing on those short skis(i think there called blades)?

just i met a couple of scottish blokes on the lift. i think they were staying in sestriere or sauze d'oulx. outside chance it was you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard,

that brings back memories - long post chalet session in the Graal (is it still there?), followed by loger session in the 'night club' (blue nights?), on the way home, hey lets have a burger.......

Very tasty they were too..... or at least after a few drinks!

Skiing would have been good (bad snow year) easy link to Claviere, quite a long link to other parts of the Milky Way. Watch out for the long parallel drags in Claviere!

I would certainly go back.

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yeah la graal and the blue night are still there.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The long drags in claviere have all been replaced by 4 person chairs to the top.

Christopher, wasn't me. we were there in feb and i have never set ski boot on a blade!

We stay in Claviere. Quite like the smallness and friendliness of it.

USA next year though - let's hope the $ is still weak.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy