Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff information, please

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Banff for first time in Feb with Thomsonski. I was wondering about a few things:
National Park fees, who pays and when?
Where to hire skis?
Whether it's worth getting the day shuttle bus to Kicking Horse or Panorama
Should I hire a car or rely on buses? Parking problems/costs at the Ski areas?
Anyone had problems with 100km per day limit with Holiday Autos car hire?
Any replies on any of the above and any other tips for a first-time visitor to Banff would be very much appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Iwas in Banff last year. As far as I know, park fees will be included with your holiday price. The shuttle buses are frequent and really well organised - much less hassle than driving, as parking did seem to be a problem slopeside when we were there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
luigi, a few years since we were there. If you're on a tour op transfer bus, park fees will be included. You need to buy a park pass if you are in a hire car (go back less than 12 months later and you can use it again, as it is valid for a year) . We had a hire car, as we thought it would be a hassle getting kids on and off the ski bus every day.Parking wasn;t a problem, apart from two weekend days at Sunshine, and we got there half and hour before the transfer bus. Didn't know Holiday Autos has a 100km daily limit though. You shouldn't exceed it though. SKi hire will depend on where you are staying. Tour op will have a place, but sometimes the hotels have deals with ski shops too, and will arrange for you to be picked up and dropped off at your hotel.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi ski bus,s were fine and taxis were pretty reasonable for going into town,plenty off ski hire shops all reasonable ,as for going to ski elsewhere depends how long your there for as you have sunshine,lake louise and norquay to ski should keep you busy for a while.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your replies so far

Just to clarify:

We will be taking the tour op transfer from Calgary to Banff, so do they give you a Park pass that covers the duration of your holiday, or just get you through the gate on the day? Cos I read that even walking around Banff town you should be in possession of a valid pass. If we hire a car in Banff after arrival, it seems there are sometimes roadside/parking area checks for passes, anyone had experience of this? And presumably if you leave the park (say on a shuttle-bus or hire-car day trip to Kicking Horse), you'll need a valid pass on re-entry.

The Holiday Autos 100km per day limit for rentals originating in Banff or Jasper is buried deep in the terms and conditions small print, it's a bit misleading cos on all the pages you go through to make the reservation it says unlimited mileage included (but of course you have to tick agreement to terms and conditions). Has anyone had experience of this limit being enforced? I suppose most take cars from Calgary Airport, so this isn't an issue.

We're staying at Irwin's Mountain Inn on Banff Ave. Any recommendations for ski hire?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
luigi, If you only ski at Sunshine or Norquay then 100kms per day will be OK . . . just! But you'll want to ski Lake Louise in which case you'll do 120kms just going to and from the hill.
Also, Irwins is 10 to 15 mins walk from the centre of Banff where most of the bars and restaurants are, and a car would be useful in the evening. Irwins has a very nice restaurant but it's a bit pricey and you want a change of scenery occasioally.
Parking at Sunshine and Lake Louise is free and poses no problems but at weekends get there early - before 9:30 otherwise you'll have to park at the back of the lot and carry your skis for several hundred yards.
If you rent a car in Banff, even for a day, you will need a park pass and the car rental office should be able to sell you one. Although, with the 100kms limit I can't see much point. If you are only going to and from the hill the shuttle busses are regular, very reliable and the cost is included in the tri-area pass.
I always rent a car unlimited kms at Calgary airport. If you do this you have to stop at the Park entrance (just to West of Canmore) and buy a pass. Last year it cost C$129 for a year.
I'm not sure if Thomsons do but some ski companies give a discount if you don't use their airport shuttle.
I take my own gear but my daughter rents hers at the Ski-Stop which is on Bear Street. The VIP deal is good as you can change your skis and boots as often as you like.
Whatever you decide you'll have a great time in Banff. I'm recovering from injuries but I hope to be fit enough to Sik Sunshjine and LL at the end of Feb 08.
Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the helpful replies

So, it seems that it's driving a car in the park that incurs a fee, as those that have only used buses don't seem to have had any problem with the issue. Is this right?

Actually, you can drive more than 100 kms per day on the Holiday Autos tariff but excess kms are charged at C$0.25, it's a shame cos their inclusive rates are the cheapest especially when you use the VirginOne Account 15% discount link(you don't actually need an account to use the link). Anyone rented a car in Banff can shed light on the Parks pass issue?

Anyone done a day trip to Kicking Horse/Panorama? We'll be there for 11 nights, so I'm thinking we should try to do as much as we can.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
luigi wrote:
So, it seems that it's driving a car in the park that incurs a fee, as those that have only used buses don't seem to have had any problem with the issue. Is this right.

correct. if you are using the buses you do not need a pass. as others have said, not sure why you want to bother with a car as you have the bus transfer from Calgary and the shuttle busses to resort....but you may have a large family with lots of gear and want the convenience of your own transport, but apart from that I can't think of a reason. the buses are really convenient.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

if you are using the buses you do not need a pass

Thanks for clearing that up and for your advice, Holidayloverxx.
Perhaps I'd better rethink the car hire idea in the light of what's been written. It's just that I like the freedom and convenience that having a set of wheels brings. There seems to be so much to do around Banff apart from the skiing that a car would be useful for: ice walking in Johnston Canyon, skating on Lake Louise, snowshoeing, cross-country up to Moraine Lake, Emerald Lake in Yoho N.P looks really pretty for some photography, etc, etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Starting to get excited about the trip now, I'm just about to watch the downhill skiing from Lake Louise on C4.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
luigi, heading out there ourselves ( Banff 0 and have poted for hiring a car when we get there. Your post as raised some good points worth noting. we ve opted for the car to give us freedom, and hoping to ski Kicking Horse and Panarama as well during our two week stay. Very Happy

You could of course just hire a car for a few days rather than the full length of your trip. Car hire we're using say its unlimited milage, but we will see. Confused Last time we hired one we stayed at Lake Tahoe and covered just over 700 miles in two weeks Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm going to Banff over New Year and this thread has given me some good info. I'm hiring a car and was intending to drive to the resorts but I was wondering how long the ski bus takes to get from Banff to Lake louise. I'm also wondering about condition of the road on the same journey.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
commando850, I went over New Year 2 years ago. I stayed at the Inns of Banff and the coach to LL took about 45 minutes. Sunshine took about 20 minutes then a further 20 minutes on the gondola. Roads seemed OK but I guess it depends a lot on the weather. I found the bus OK, not sure I'd have wanted to drive.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
luigi, I'd suggest a car in Banff, although I suppose one should try to be a greener than that. The shuttle buses to the 3 hills are pretty good as shuttles go, but a car is very handy to avoid suttle bus times running your day and as you suppose, there are plenty of spots to visit. I'd hire a car at Calgary airport to avoid the horror that is a transfer bus (you may also be able to get a lot of skiing on your last day if you don't have to take the bus). You'll need to buy a park pass if you do that an annual pass lasts 13m, IIRC, so if you go again in 2009 at the same time of year you can use it again. You can hire in Banff if you prefer.
The roads are well ploughed (plowed, actually) in snow, although you can be unlucky. You might go for a 4x4 to complete the enviromentally unfriendliness of the hol, but you're unlikely to need one. The roads are generally empty. The drive from Banff to LL is best done on the old Highway 1A; it's single carriageway all the way (Highway 1 is a mixture of single and double west of Banff), but there are no lorries and it's a lovely, quiet drive.
It may well be very parky in Feb, so take the thermals and face masks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
luigi, National Park fees can be arranged on entry to the national park(as far as i can remember)-you must pass through the gate, the permit is absolutely essential as you are driving! If you are not hiring a car (i'd say it was unnesecary due to frequent ski buses etc) you do not need to purchase a park permit even tho legally they are "required" it is not policed. Banff is very small an easy to get around. Where are you staying in Banff as this will provide an easier answer as to where to hire skis. Going back for my 5th time in January for 3 months
Very Happy

Ross
latest report
The best argument for getting the shuttle bus to and from the hills is that at weekends, you can find the car parks pretty crowded - especially at Sunshine, where it's not unusual for cars to be parked kilometres back down the access road. The bus takes you right to the gondola. That said, the resort management run a car park "shuttle" to get skiers to/from their vehicles - it's an open trailer pulled by a tractor.

Personally I've always used the shuttle buses and there are regular bus trips to Nakiska, Panorama and KH from Banff. Some of the roads can be a bit iffy, (even the trans-Canada is only a dual carriageway, and if it's snowing, it often gets reduced to a single lane in each direction) so if you aren't used to driving in winter conditions, the bus is the safer bet.

Incidentally, all the day lodges at the hills have locker rooms where for a couple of bucks you can store stuff : this means that you don't have to trudge between the car park/bus and the lodge in your ski boots (at Sunshine you can ride up the gondola and then change in the lodge).

Quote:

I read that even walking around Banff town you should be in possession of a valid pass

I've never heard that one! - It's true that the Park rangers will check cars for permits though. They're pretty tough on non-permit holders, so don't chance your arm.
latest report
Acacia wrote:
Quote:

I read that even walking around Banff town you should be in possession of a valid pass

I've never heard that one! - It's true that the Park rangers will check cars for permits though. They're pretty tough on non-permit holders, so don't chance your arm.

It is a requirement but as I said it is not policed-only presents a problem if you don't have one when driving!
latest report
Thanks for all your replies, there's a lot of useful info there. I'm quite pleased that my first post on this site has generated such a good response, I had confidence in you all from over a year of lurking. Glad to join the Snowheads community.
Quote:

Acacia wrote:
Quote:

Rossfra8 wrote:
It is a requirement but as I said it is not policed-only presents a problem if you don't have one when driving!

So, this sounds like the definitive answer about the National Park pass, thanks Rossfra8.

There doesn't seem to be a consensus view on whether to hire a car or not, so I guess from your replies it's about personal preference, your judgments about the convenience of the different options, your "green" conscience, your taste for driving on the "wrong" side of the road in winter conditions and your choice of winter activities in the Banff area.
Quote:

Where are you staying in Banff as this will provide an easier answer as to where to hire skis.

We're staying at Irwins Mountain Inn on Banff Ave. Overthehill recommended Ski-Stop, any thoughts?
ski holidays
luigi, I think we used ski stop, the gear was excellent.
latest report
luigi, 'nother vote for ski stop-can't go far wrong tbh. I wouldn't hire a car-unnesc. expense. Bus travel to the slopes is frequent and very efficient. ( I don't have a huge green conscience )
snow report
I have just got back from Banff so if anyone's got any questions please ask. I did have a hire car and I was really glad I did as the buses were pretty full by the time they got to my hotel and so people were waiting for quite a while. You also have to queue for the buses at the ski resort which meant you had to stand in the freezing cold. If anyone wants to buy the National Park vechile pass off me at half its face value they can as its valid till 31/12/08 and is not vechile specific.
ski holidays
commando850, Whats face value as Im interested - heading there ourselves in March and are hiring a car Smile Let me know or pm me please Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy