Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

st anton to lech/zurs bus service

Poster: A snowHead
can anyone advise me on how long it takes, by bus, to get from the nearest point in st anton to lech. i am talking about sking down to the nearest bus stop on the st anton side then travelling to the first bus stop in lech. also getting back at night to pick the kids up - are buses frequent, crowded etc. We would be going outside school hols in jan. i imagine, being austrian, that they are cleaner and more reliabel than french buses !! thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The bus back can be very crowded, I have even got on the bus going the wrong way for a couple of stops to jump the queue/scrum.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
backhojo,
The post bus is not expensive and civilised and runs from the town centre . The ski bus can be a real scrum and not always big enough for everyone waiting.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Post bus (fare required)

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/winter/userfiles/PDFs/St.Anton-Lech_Winter0607.pdf

Freeski Bus No 7
From Rauz to Zurs & Lech runs every 20mins .
My advice is get up early ski to Rauz and be on the earliest bus possible. Your have plenty of time to SKi Lech & Zurs Return from Lech after Lunch 2:30 pm any later its crowded.

https://service.tiscover.com/scms/media.php/9814/OrtsbusLech_Winter06_07.pdf
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
or maybe even return at lunchtime when everyone is eating !!
does bus continue on towards nasserien ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Free bus only goes between Zurs/Lech to Rauz.

In St Anton there is freebus to all the suburbs (Nasserein,St Jakob,Gand, Mooskreuz)

There is No Free connection between Rauz St Christoph & St Anton.

If you need to take lunch do it it Lech or Zurs as the mountain restaurants are superier to St Anton.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks STANTON
i am guessing from your login name that you either live in st anton, visit there a lot or indeed you might simply OWN st anton !!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can ski to Rauz & get the free ski bus but it can be a scrum, make sure you stand at the ski bus stop not the post bus stop & be ready to dive on. The post bus from StAnton, I think was only €2.80 and takes about half an hour to Zurs which might be preferable to rushing to get the gondola & skiing on the early morning crust to Rauz. From Zurs you can ski the white circle, caffeine stop above Zug, Lunch at Oberlech, down to Lech, over the road and up, ski back to Zurs a beer & back on the bus to StAnton OR ski bus to Rauz , lift to the top & ski down to Mooserwirt to get wrecked. Perfect day
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks guys - in conjunction with the excellent map found in the esprit brochure i now have a clear picture of the area (usually tour operators piste maps are rubbish but the esprit one is excellent and showls the whole of the arlberg area on one page. your info has helped enormously. As Lechbob and stanton obviously know the area extremely well i would be grateful for some further info.....
1) is it worth the trip down to sonnenkopf / klosterle
2) what is it like in mid jan (13th - 20th). i know each year can be different but just an idea. lots of ice ?? or potentially sunny days
3) is the place likely to be less crowded in mid jan
we have found a cracking deal for jan 13th and we are very tempted but have never skied that early as we normally go last week in jan first week in feb.
4) is nasserein area generally quieter than main town

many thanks again
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1) Did a Sonnenkopf day trip with Crystal, it was a hoot with the company but I think theres enough & better skiing with StAnton, Rendl, Stuben, Zurs, Lech to keep you busy. Perhaps check out local knowledge on snow conditions when you arrive.
2) Who knows, but looking great now, I'll be there on the 19th Jan
3) Should be relatively quiet, crowds concentrate near StAnton & disperse.
4) Yes, but not a major hike unless in ski boots. Nasserein lift can be busy early morning because of the large car park. Not as handy for centre, buses & access to Rendl.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks bob. we are really close to booking as we are bored with france - been to trois valley / paradiski for past few years and want a change.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sonnenkopf - there is a free bus from Stuben. It is okay for a "change", but unless you are at StA for 3+ weeks, you will not run out of things to do. We have done it a few times, but did not bother last season.

Mid Jan - no idea, we always go Feb/march. NB: No way of predicting what snow conditions you will find, but StA is very reliable.

Nasserein - is muchquieter than the main town, especially Dorfstrasse, but only about 10 minutes to walk in hiking boots - depending on which part of Nasserein you are staying. There is a free bus, Linie 4, that runs along Nassereinerstrasse, which is convenient for connecting to the base of the Nassereinbahn and to West Terminal. The Post Bus to Lech/Zurs departs from West Terminal. Parts of Nasserein are directly accessible from the piste. Nassereinbahn only really gets crowded around 9:00am - 9:30am, when the ski school starts, and also if the upper mountain is closed. At all other times, it would be reasonably rare to wait more than 5 minutes for a gondola.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll be there 26 to 30 Jan. Looking forward to KK & Moose after last trip with kids restricted beer drinking. Just us 8 boys this time. Re free bus, I was there first eweek april this year and never had a problem heading back to St Anton to pick up kids. Ski School are grat, they have facilities for storing kids who haven;t nbeen collected, so you don't have to panic if yopu are 10 mins late. (Not sure which school Esprit use though),
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
backhojo wrote:
can anyone advise me on how long it takes, by bus, to get from the nearest point in st anton to lech. i am talking about sking down to the nearest bus stop on the st anton side then travelling to the first bus stop in lech. also getting back at night to pick the kids up - are buses frequent, crowded etc. We would be going outside school hols in jan. i imagine, being austrian, that they are cleaner and more reliabel than french buses !! thanks

Ski down to St Cristoph from St Anton, and get the bus to Lech from there.

It is quicker and less crowded.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ghost Dog wrote:
I'll be there 26 to 30 Jan. Looking forward to KK & Moose after last trip with kids restricted beer drinking. Just us 8 boys this time. Re free bus, I was there first eweek april this year and never had a problem heading back to St Anton to pick up kids. Ski School are grat, they have facilities for storing kids who haven;t nbeen collected, so you don't have to panic if yopu are 10 mins late. (Not sure which school Esprit use though),

8 guys? Please no more guys in St Anton. You may want to read this old article

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/article516408.ece
snow conditions
Interesting article - That explains my lack of success in that direction, I thought it was my luminous one peice ski suit that was frightening the ladies away.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

I am curious why you say that, but then I have never done it that way. If I am going by the Post Bus, I always catch the Lech/Zurs bus from West Terminal. Sometimes it leaves with empty seats, but more often than not there are people standing in the aisles. Not many people get off at St Christoph, so not sure you would have any better luck getting a seat from there. Anyway, if you have found a better way, then pls let me know.

The other option is to ski down to Alpe Rauz, as mentioned above, but be ready to do some serious pushing to get on at peak times. As they say in the classics, "a faint heart never won a fair seat" (or something like that).

One other idea... if you are with 6 or so people, then probably taking a taxi is a reasonable option.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

I am curious why you say that, but then I have never done it that way. If I am going by the Post Bus, I always catch the Lech/Zurs bus from West Terminal. Sometimes it leaves with empty seats, but more often than not there are people standing in the aisles. Not many people get off at St Christoph, so not sure you would have any better luck getting a seat from there. Anyway, if you have found a better way, then pls let me know.

The other option is to ski down to Alpe Rauz, as mentioned above, but be ready to do some serious pushing to get on at peak times. As they say in the classics, "a faint heart never won a fair seat" (or something like that).

One other idea... if you are with 6 or so people, then probably taking a taxi is a reasonable option.

There are dedicated buses that travel from Lech to St Cristoph only. They do not go on to St Anton.

Hence, everyone piles off at the chairlift, leaving a totally empty bus.
latest report
Stanton, I would be more than happy to bring dancing girls with me, (my physio did volunteer last year, she says she folds up small) but my other (and the the guys' others) seem to have a problem with it. Clearly,since we are all married, we won't be speaking to members of the opposite sex anyway, so we wont be conpetition for you Smile

When is peak time on the Alpe Rauz bus? Getting the bus back from Lech it was a little busy, bit wasn;t really a problem getting on (about 3.30pm)
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

There are dedicated buses that travel from Lech to St Cristoph only. They do not go on to St Anton.

Whitegold... are you able to tell me which bus company runs that bus because I would not mind giving it a go. That said, in all the years I have been going to StA, I have only found 2 public bus lines that run between Lech / Zurs and StA, ie the Post Bus and the "blue" (free) bus. The latter starts/stops at Alpe Rauz, ie does not go as far as St Christoph.

I checked the Post Bus timetable, and it definitely is not a Post Bus - bus 4248 runs that route and goes to / starts from St Anton West Terminal.
snow report
There are also some crazy cab drivers who can get you there fairly quickly, if you don't mind feeling a bit queasy when you get there.
z
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Whitegold... are you able to tell me which bus company runs that bus because I would not mind giving it a go. That said, in all the years I have been going to StA, I have only found 2 public bus lines that run between Lech / Zurs and StA, ie the Post Bus and the "blue" (free) bus. The latter starts/stops at Alpe Rauz, ie does not go as far as St Christoph.

I checked the Post Bus timetable, and it definitely is not a Post Bus - bus 4248 runs that route and goes to / starts from St Anton West Terminal.

I posted the bus schedules links further up in this thread.
snow report
Stanton - yes I saw the schedules and also checked the Post Bus site, but there is no Post Bus that starts or ends in St Christoph.

As you said earlier, the free (blue) bus only runs as far as Alpe Rauz from Zurs/Lech, ie it does not go as far as St Christoph.

Which still leaves the question... which bus line does the Lech to St Christoph run?

NB: The only time I have seen a bus start from St Christoph was about 3 or 4 years ago when the lifts suddenly went onto wind-hold about lunchtime and there was big crowd wanting to get home from there. The bus company was very good at reacting quickly and getting special buses running.
snow conditions
latest report
ulmerhutte,

Dont worry/ It is all organised. The postbus runs through St Christoph. I,ve been hold up in St Christoph during a storm Back in 1999 during the mega storm if you were staying in St Anton or whervever St Christoph when the lifts closed for 4-5 days the Hotels put you up in the 5* Hotels and vica versa the 5* clients who were caught in St Anton had to stay in B&B's in St Anton. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Theres always a way back. Dont get stressed before a vacation its all part of the fun while your there. Thousands of folk are in the same situation.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
Stanton - yes I saw the schedules and also checked the Post Bus site, but there is no Post Bus that starts or ends in St Christoph.

As you said earlier, the free (blue) bus only runs as far as Alpe Rauz from Zurs/Lech, ie it does not go as far as St Christoph.

Which still leaves the question... which bus line does the Lech to St Christoph run?

NB: The only time I have seen a bus start from St Christoph was about 3 or 4 years ago when the lifts suddenly went onto wind-hold about lunchtime and there was big crowd wanting to get home from there. The bus company was very good at reacting quickly and getting special buses running.

ulmerhutte -- My bad. I was refering to the Rauz chairlift, which is near to St Cristoph. I used it last season a few times and it was usually fairly unbusy.
snow report
No probs, Whitegold. Yeah, the Blue Bus (the one in Lechbob's post) goes to Alpe Rauz, aka Valfagehr, named after the chair there. Off peak it is pretty good, but at peak times, it can be a real circus to get on - much pushing & shoving.

We often go "over the top" from Nasserein to Alpe Rauz as soon as the lifts open, getting there a little before 9am. It is not too bad then. 30 mins later, the crowd is often 6 or 7 deep, spread across the loading area. Likewise just before lunchtime and around the close of lifts is often tough. If we are feeling slack, then we get the 8:35 bus from West Terminal, which gets into Zurs around 9am.
snow conditions
Could hire a guide and ski to Zurs from the top of Valluga though the post bus is cheaper if not more exciting.
Still got top get back - the bus does not seem to have a driver so you could borrow it to drive to St Christopher. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lechbob wrote:
Could hire a guide and ski to Zurs from the top of Valluga though the post bus is cheaper if not more exciting.

Indeed it is.... see http://www.ultimate-ski.com/uk/Off_Piste/Arlberg_Off_Piste/St_Anton_off-Piste/Off_the_back_Valluga/Off_the_back_of_the_Valluga.html

Have not done yet, but would like to...
latest report
In my dreams. Little Angel
Would make a good Top Gear style race from the bottom of Galzig lift between a pedestrian taking the bus and a skier taking the lifts up & skiing down. Might have to ballance things a bit by putting the pedistrian in ski boots or use something faster than the bus as I don't have the lift transit times to hand.
ski holidays
So the bus from St Christoph to Zurs is less crowded hey ?

Which piste do you have to take to get to that bus stop ? (bus nr 92, I suppose ?)

Do you have to walk ?

thanks !
snow report
Did this thread not start with a comment about picking kids up from ski school. You would have to catch a bus earlier than the rush (talking here about the free bus) to get back for them so it shouldn't be a worry. I was never (very) late for my kids last year, like I said there is a creche/waiting room thingy in the village for the storiung of unwanted weans Smile
ski holidays
Hey, we have kids of our own to worry about NehNeh

So how do you get to the bus in St Christoph ?
Is this bus free ?
Anybody ?
snow conditions
flouzje wrote:
Hey, we have kids of our own to worry about NehNeh

So how do you get to the bus in St Christoph ?
Is this bus free ?
Anybody ?

The only Bus in St Christoph is the Postbus. This is not Free. Here is an example of the timetable

http://www.postbus.at/de/Verbindung_suchen/index.jsp?L=vs_postbus&S=st+christoph+am+arlberg&date=06.01.08&timesel=depart&start=1&ld=oebb&image.x=84&image.y=6&Z=lech&time=11%3A35

If you do not want to Ski down to Alpe Rauz & catch the Free Blue SkiBus No 7 & your making regular trips to Zurs I would suggest buying strip or weekly card for the Post Bus its very cheap

http://www.vmobil.at/02_Tickets/TarifInfo_Text.htm

The Postbus is only free when the lifts all close down & people are stuck in St Christoph & the driver wants to get down the hill quick before he has to put chains on !
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
Lechbob wrote:

Indeed it is.... see http://www.ultimate-ski.com/uk/Off_Piste/Arlberg_Off_Piste/St_Anton_off-Piste/Off_the_back_Valluga/Off_the_back_of_the_Valluga.html

Both runs from Valluga are fairly steep at the start. But they last no more than a few hundred meters. After that, it becomes a good-but-not-steep offpiste bash.
snow conditions
"
The Postbus is only free when the lifts all close down & people are stuck in St Christoph & the driver wants to get down the hill quick before he has to put chains "

Thanks stanton for this useful information !
They should put this information on www.stantonarlberg.com...
rolling eyes
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:
Lechbob wrote:

Both runs from Valluga are fairly steep at the start. But they last no more than a few hundred meters. After that, it becomes a good-but-not-steep offpiste bash.

Everthing previously discussed here about Valluga -Zurs Off Piste. Enjoy Pics,Videos

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=467285&highlight=valluga#467285

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=154956&highlight=valluga#154956
snow report
The ski bus nr 7 doesn't seem to ride before 22/12/07
What's the alternative ?
Thanks !
snow report
They have changed the schedule for this season . Bus 7 only runs in High season 22 December to 28 March from Valfagehrbahn (Rauz) to Zurs & Lech.

In low season Bus 3 (this is new) will run from Valfagehrbahn (Rauz) to Zurs & Lech so dont worry.

http://service.tiscover.com/scms/media.php/9814/Ortsbus_Winter_07_08.pdf
snow report
booked it - we are off to St anton on 13th jan. thanks for all the help. i shall print out this thread and timetables and take them with me !!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy