Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smoking

Poster: A snowHead
jbob wrote:
Nice try lizzard you can haggle with me, but you really can't negotiate with Lung Cancer.
Interestingly the stats are far more flaky on second hand or is it second lung smoke, you are 80X more likely to get Lung Cancer as a smoker and the non smokers who do get Lung Cancer often have an identifiable non cigarette related provoking factor, ie some industrial process they have worked in, although if you live with a heavy smoker or work in a smoky pub you are also in the firing line.

And, as per the link posted above, smoking and passive smoking have a hand in heart attack rates as well.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A brillant film on the subject

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427944
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sage, And what about all the disgusting fat people? In the UK a lot of the smokers are also overweight, but I suspect that it's convenient to use the fact that they smoke as an excuse rather than crisps, fried food, big macs and the rest. Smokers have been the whipping boys for a long time - who will be next?????

Lizzard I'm sure that they don't include the 'incidental' alcohol related deaths in the figures - that would be cheating wink wink

Johnboy you weren't at the glacier some summer days this year! Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So .... smoking is bad for the smokers and the bar staff. Eating too much junk food is also bad for you (but not for the restaurant staff). All of it costs lots in terms of health care. Maybe we should just switch to private health insurance - the huge premiums for smokers and fatties would put them off. Mind you, there would probably be huge premiums for skiers as well, and exclusions for knee injuries, so possibly not.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The majority of bars in Tignes have already banned smoking.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
riverman wrote:
stab, smoking is banned on all trains in Switzerland

really Shocked shows how often I take a train, last time I was on one you could smoke joints on them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would have no probs with sepetate smoking and non smoking bars.

It is so refreshing to go home from a non smoking bar not stinking of smoke. Although all snowheads were very thoughtful and generally went outside to smoke at the PSB, the French smokers in Lutins didn't. (and fair enough) .The smell of smoke would hit you every morning as I left my room and went to breakfast.

stab, Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The smoking versus drinking argument is not related. Many people use this old comparison. They should not be mixed up otherwise you may as well just compare smoking to ever other event that may kill you.

Lizard. Your argument that smoking does not change a persons personality is interesting. Ever heard of depressive symptons & mood disturbances?

http://freehosting.tomaweb.com/quitsmoking/scarystuff.htm
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton, I live with a smoker. I have never met anyone with fewer mood disturbances. You know perfectly well that use of alcohol can change a person's personality within the space of an hour - stop being a pillock.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard,

Maybe stanton, is getting mixed up with the stuff they smoke in Tulip land?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard wrote:
stanton, I live with a smoker. I have never met anyone with fewer mood disturbances. You know perfectly well that use of alcohol can change a person's personality within the space of an hour - stop being a pillock.

"I have never met anyone with fewer mood disturbances" It is one of the side effects of nicotine. People with depressive symptoms would likely be tempted to use nicotine.

"use of alcohol can change a person's personality within the space of an hour" . That would depend on how much you drunk. If I was to drink 0.3L beer with my lunch I think we can agree that I am unlikely to change into to some alien from Out of Space. I would also not be a threat or intrusion on the health or well being of my fellow diners?

This thread is about Smoking?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, you're becoming offensive, oh cloggy one.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton,
Quote:

It is one of the side effects of nicotine. People with depressive symptoms would likely be tempted to use nicotine.

Quite apart from the fact that these two sentences have nothing to do with each other, would you care to point us in the direction of the research on your theory that cigarette smoking CAUSES depression and mood 'disturbance'?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From here about depression and smoking:

Quote:
New research has suggested that there may be something in cigarette smoke that has antidepressant properties, which explains why cigarette smoking is much more common among depressed patients. A survey of 3,000 individuals in the St. Louis area confirmed that lifetime frequency of major depression was more common among smokers than nonsmokers (6.6 vs. 2.9 percent)

Another article here showing smoking may case depression in young teens:

Quote:
Researchers have typically viewed depression as increasing the likelihood of smoking behavior. But Goodman and Capitman's research has found the reverse: "Nondepressed teens who smoked in the prior month faced approximately a four times greater risk of developing depression than nonsmoking teens."

snowHead

Edit: extra quote added
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If I go into a bar, I'd expect to smell beer, if I get a beer spilt over me thats hard luck, I should have gone to a less busy bar.

But I don't go into a bar or anywhere else to breathe other people's nicotine exhalations nor do I want to have my clothes reeking of its smell.

A bar is there to sell alcohol and other drinks, if smokers want to have a drink with their cigarettes, open up premises for that purpose.
snow report
Sage wrote:
From here about depression and smoking:

Quote:
New research has suggested that there may be something in cigarette smoke that has antidepressant properties, which explains why cigarette smoking is much more common among depressed patients. A survey of 3,000 individuals in the St. Louis area confirmed that lifetime frequency of major depression was more common among smokers than nonsmokers (6.6 vs. 2.9 percent)

Another article here showing smoking may case depression in young teens:

Quote:
Researchers have typically viewed depression as increasing the likelihood of smoking behavior. But Goodman and Capitman's research has found the reverse: "Nondepressed teens who smoked in the prior month faced approximately a four times greater risk of developing depression than nonsmoking teens."

snowHead

Edit: extra quote added

I knew this from being informed form a young age.

Thanks for digging up the information to share to others.
snow conditions
Quote:

If I go into a bar, I'd expect to smell beer, if I get a beer spilt over me thats hard luck, I should have gone to a less busy bar.

But I don't go into a bar or anywhere else to breathe other people's nicotine exhalations nor do I want to have my clothes reeking of its smell.

A bar is there to sell alcohol and other drinks, if smokers want to have a drink with their cigarettes, open up premises for that purpose.

i.e. smoking and non-smoking bars..if only!! To be honest I can't abide smoking in restaurants so I'm 100% behind that. The ban on bars I'm less convinced about. But I can take it or leave it and it doesn't bother me either way as I'm a smoker and happy to go outside and get my fix! What I can't stand, and this has been a problem in some bars/clubs, is the stale beer and toilet smells which used to be covered up by smoke odour. The local pub near me has had to invest in perfume spray throughout the bar areas as, since the smoking ban, the whole place smells of stale beer and wee wee!
snow report
everyone should smoke shisha! it smells nice and is less harsh on the lungs!

I like the smokey smell in clubs/music venues, but outside of them im not too particuarly fond of the smell.

shame about the whole 18 ban though on bubbly bars.
snow report
Don't mind people smoking I just don't like them doing it in my presence. Personally I am a huge fan of the smoking ban.

We were in Ireland when the ban came in there. The day before the ban me and my mate went out all afternoon drinking Guiness (you have to don't you wink ). Just remember getting back to the wives stinking of beer and fags. The next day the ban came in and I remember how surreal it was sitting for the first time in a no smoking bar and I love it.

More inclined now to eat out especially with the kids knowing we won't be smoked out.
snow conditions
Quote:

everyone should smoke shisha!

I lived for many years just off the Edgware Road in London. As you may know the place is one Shisha Cafe after another which the local arabic community frequented and the smells Sadly the smoking ban has hugely impacted this cultural oasis which is a real shame. Everyone now has to sit outside breathing healthy traffic fumes instead!
latest report
it use to be brillaint going in for a relaxing smoke and sit down in the arabic styled rooms. my local one in oxfords trade has vanished due to indoor smoking ban and over 18 smoking law. the majority of customers were ages 15-21. in the winter its too cold to sit outside.

it is a culture which is being lost. Yeah as you say Bayswater where a lot of Turks live has been badly affected i read somewhere. Also it was somewhere a lot of muslims and white people mixede, which is always good for the community.

they should be able to get special licenses for smoking indoors.
latest report
I believe the local community lobbied for a specal dispensation but, naturally, it was thrown out. I used to quite enjoy popping down there for a shisha every now and then. I think, in all honesty, the smoking ban is a good thing (and this from a smoker!!) but whe it gets to the stage of no smoking signs in bus stops it enters the realms of a comedy sketch!
snow report
Smokers are losers.

They smell.

Their breath stinks.

Their fingers look rank.

They get pirate teeth.

The smoking ban is one of the best things ever to happen to the Western world.
ski holidays
Whitegold, get off the fence Very Happy
latest report
johnboy wrote:
I would have no probs with sepetate smoking and non smoking bars.

It is so refreshing to go home from a non smoking bar not stinking of smoke. Although all snowheads were very thoughtful and generally went outside to smoke at the PSB, the French smokers in Lutins didn't. (and fair enough) .The smell of smoke would hit you every morning as I left my room and went to breakfast.

stab, Laughing

Johnboy, fortunately as we had a ground lfoor room it wasn't too bad, as we were at the end of the corridor, but my bag stunk when I opened it when I got home.
snow conditions
Quote:

The smoking ban is one of the best things ever to happen to the Western world

Yes, well I'd have The Reformation, the eradication of smallpox, the discovery of the Americas, the invention of the internal combustion engine and the Chunky KitKat slightly above it for sheer impact but I guess it's all about opinions...
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Smokers are losers.

They smell.

Their breath stinks.

Their fingers look rank.

They get pirate teeth.

The smoking ban is one of the best things ever to happen to the Western world.

Unclean

Habitual litterers

and above all they dont give a poo-poo about anyone else's health including there children.
ski holidays
rapists

serial child killers

genocidal maniacs

taxpayers.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, Laughing Laughing
latest report
laundryman wrote:
rapists

serial child killers

genocidal maniacs

taxpayers.

This is a smoking thread.
snow conditions
stanton,

laundryman's post was entirely on-topic and in direct response to your and Whitegold's delightful contributions.
snow conditions
It will be like here..a lot of people will moan but then they'll get used to it and the whole fuss will be gorgotten about...
ski holidays
Source www.Swissinfo.com

Butt out

Cantons Graubünden and Appenzell Ausser Rhodes will become the third and fourth Swiss cantons respectively – after Ticino and Solothurn - to introduce a ban on smoking in public places.

Three-quarters of voters in Graubünden approved the measure which will ban smoking in all public places including restaurants as of March next year. The result was much closer in Appenzell Ausser-Rhodes with 8,412 votes in favour and 7,176 against. The new law will be enforced in the small eastern canton as of January 1, 2008.

According to the federal authorities, the Swiss parliament as well as 17 of the 26 cantons are considering laws to protect citizens against the harmful effects of passive smoke.
ski holidays
I have friends whose personalities change noticeably every time they try quitting.
For a gigging musician like myself the ban has been a real blessing. Some venues were getting intolerable.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy