Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying gear - Vancouver or Whistler?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I'm going to Whistler in late Jan 2005. I was wondering whether it is better to buy skis, boots, clothes in Vancouver or in Whistler (in terms of price and range available)

Ange Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ange81, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I last visited Whistler about 7-8 years ago and ended up paying VAT at British customs on all the kit I'd bought - skis, clothing, you name it (twas end of season sales!). And I believe that the place has undergone considerable expansion since then.
So no lack of shops in Whistler.

Vancouver I haven't stopped in, but I've stayed in Victoria on Vancouver Island. (Very nice place by the way). How much difference in prices there would be I don't know, but I suspect not huge and maybe more will depend on how many C$ you get for your £ or € ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
based on my experience of the last couple of years you would not save a great deal by buying kit in Canada, skis, boots or clothes, certainly not at the non sale prices which likely to prevail in January. The prices seemed much the same and in some cases a bit higher than here. The exchange rate is better this year so that might help you. As a general rule Whistler is perceived to be expensive to Canadians (for everything) so Vancouver is likely to be a better bet
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In 2002 Christmas I found Vancouver a great shopping place. Didn't compare the price is Whistler but the place doesn't look cheap to me. Vancourver is at least a huge city and there are always sales going on.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A. Whistler is a "ski town", Vancouver is a metropolis!
B. Whistler selection is unrivaled. The best gear is sold in Whistler for the best deals.
C. Chat it up with the locals, if you are looking for the ultimate skis, buy the best handmade skis in the world right from the Prior factory in Whistler - now offering skis - brand new this year.
D. Ride your new gear on the best mountains 5 minutes after you buy it!

Or rent awesome gear (head to toe) from our site for 20% off walk in rates and drop it off when you are done - no baggage.

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chums and I had a wicked shopping spree in Vancouver at a small shop on Granville Island - I can't find it listed on the web though.

We acquired a whole bunch of Arcteryx gear (softshells, trousers, fleeces, etc) at ~60% discount. We claimed tax at the airport and wore some of it on the flight back, which may have helped avoidance of duty on re-entry to the UK. (N.B. Arcteryx is a local producer and sells cheaper over there than the ridiculous prices here). Will admit also this was late March, so end of season sale stuff going on...

Whistler little cheaper than the UK but well stocked.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice.

It sounds like Vancouver would have more sales on, so I'll try to shop there if accommodation if I can get cheap accommodation for a night.

How easy is it to get around to the different ski shops in Vancouver by public transport?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Johnny Utah, Ah, Johnny you should know that we snowHead's look for the SnowShop seal of approval Wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/shop_with_snowHeads.php
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy