Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowdomes

Poster: A snowHead
I've recently been to Tamworth & Castleford. I was struck by how run down Tamworth looks - are they in the middle of a refit?

But the snow was much much much better than it used to be - I remember some years ago it was boiler plate most of the way.

Or maybe I've just got better. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was at Castleford last night and I was pleasantly surprised by it. Still not sure it was worth the 5 hours on a coach to get there and back, but for £25 including travel, 3 hours skiing and food, you can't really complain Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was at Braehead the other day and it's not La Nina yaer in there... snow all scraped away early in the day, no snow on the poma-uplift tracks-don't know whats going on tbh
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm at Castleford every week. The only fault with it is the lack of a membership scheme.

It doesn't effect me as i'm on the books as an instructor but i reckon the opening of the Chill Factore in Manchester might give it a bit of healthy competition and encourage them to offer a discounted membership scheme like they have at Sheffield Ski Village.

Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok guys, given the choice of any UK snowdome, which would be your preference and why?

I'm up for a trip with a few of the lads, but want to make sure we head to the right place.

Ta in advance. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chill Factor e Very Happy But give it a few weeks to settle down.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rossfra8 wrote:
I was at Braehead the other day and it's not La Nina yaer in there... snow all scraped away early in the day, no snow on the poma-uplift tracks-don't know whats going on tbh

Seems to get worse by the day there. I don't think they have the staff (or can afford them) to properly look after the place. I've complained before when the place was busy and only one tow was working, only to be told there were no staff to run it.

You're also lucky if you get the full slope to ski on as there is nearly always a big lump of snow piled in the middle for their freestyle nights. It's not good value for money. Sad

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does anywhere in the UK have a decent ascent system? Tamworth travellator is sooooooo tedious.

I went to one in Germany, just outside Dusseldorf - 4 man chair lift, ski straight to it, ski straight off at the top, padded seats.

I've only been to Tamworth here so don't know what other centers have got.

Does anyone know of a real snow place in the South/South West?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dubai too has a chairlift! Not skied there, but saw it through the massive windows in the shopping centre. Others in the UK all have Poma lifts. There's none as yet in the S/SW. There's only

Xscape: Milton Keynes, Castleford(Leeds), Braehead (Glasgow)
Tamworth
Manchester Chillfactor-e(at the Trafford Centre)

Hemel Hempstead is being developed from dry slope to snow slope.
There was some suggestion of a similar project in Swansea I think but I believe it's not going ahead.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've never understood why they can't run one of the lifts at Castleford twice as fast - with a great big sign saying "This is for experienced skiers only - if you fall off you will be asked to leave". The thought of spending most of the time sat on the lift staring at the people in the gym is the main reason I don't go very often.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MarkS wrote:
........spending most of the time sat on the lift staring at the people in the gym is the main reason I don't go very often.

Strangely, I always thought this was a plus point. You should never sneer at a chance to letch.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tim Sawyer wrote:
Does anywhere in the UK have a decent ascent system? Tamworth travellator is sooooooo tedious.

I went to one in Germany, just outside Dusseldorf - 4 man chair lift, ski straight to it, ski straight off at the top, padded seats.

I've only been to Tamworth here so don't know what other centers have got.

The others all use Pomas, but don't run them particularly fast.

Quote:

Does anyone know of a real snow place in the South/South West?

Not yet, unless you consider Milton Keynes to be South.

I believe there are proposals for one in Plymouth, but know nothing more.

There are also proposals for both Cardiff and Swansea but no firm dates for starting work either of those yet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
there is talk of a new excape snow dome in essex near lakeside shopping centre....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney wrote:
........Not yet, unless you consider Milton Keynes to be South.........

Isn't it?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, Yes so far as I am concerned, but his request was "South/South West", so I suspect he doesn't count it.
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
Chill Factor e Very Happy But give it a few weeks to settle down.

It does look the biggest I guess. Never tried an indoor slope, would the 1 1/2 hr sessions be enough, not enough, or more than enough? It's a long old treck from here and seems that 1 1/2 hrs of ski time isn't that much. How do they know how long everyone has been on for?(I'd be looking to go on a weekday if that makes any difference)

Ta.

edit to add another question, sorry.
ski holidays
Quote:

achilles, Yes so far as I am concerned, but his request was "South/South West", so I suspect he doesn't count it.

Correct, I'm in Wiltshire, so MK is actually further than Tamworth!

Quote:

It does look the biggest I guess. Never tried an indoor slope, would the 1 1/2 hr sessions be enough, not enough, or more than enough? It's a long old treck from here and seems that 1 1/2 hrs of ski time isn't that much. How do they know how long everyone has been on for?(I'd be looking to go on a weekday if that makes any difference)

I have gone to Tamworth for three hours a couple of times - there is a bar/cafe place that allows boots, so you can break up the session that way. I reckon 1 1/2 hrs is a bit short, especially if the lift system is slow, cos you spend most of the time on that.

At Tamworth they have a card system so you swipe in and out and can tell how long you've been on for.
snow report
Tim Sawyer, Cheers, I think the 2 x split sessions could work. Assume that at least 1 bar in Chill Factor e will allow boots?
ski holidays
Sage, I want to know when they actually make snow so i can head down and get some decent turns in before everyone else scrapes it away//they decide to make a huge kicker!
latest report
Is there any more news on the snow dome that was due to be built somewhere close to Ipswich. Wasn't it going to be a holiday park like centre parcs or similar and built in an old quarry?
latest report
http://www.snoasis.co.uk/ think thats the one mac
snow report
Rossfra8, nice link, interesting to here the slope will be 475 meters!!! lets hope it comes off
ski holidays
8 hours drive for me:|
latest report
Rossfra8, closer than MK or Hemel for me Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm just back from the one in Dubai and it's my first time ever to ski a snowdome, cos we ain't go one here in the Emerald Isle but I can tell you it's more than just Methadone for the Heroin....it was brilliant.

Albeit a bit disorientating coming in at +35 degrees to -1 but I loved it and it would make great pre-season training.
ski holidays
Tim Sawyer, Just had a look at that one. Might be worth getting a flight for Very Happy

http://www.allrounder.de/skihalle/?L=1
snow report
Take a look of these photos from Chill Factore i have uploaded from yesterday snowHead
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/473
latest report
Rossfra8 wrote:
http://www.snoasis.co.uk/ think thats the one mac

Seems to have been going on forever - stuck in public enquiry hell I think!

Shame because the website's already miles better than Chill Factore... they just need to build the blasted thing now rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
doctor_eeyore, tamworth opened in 1994 so it has been used and abused for a few years now....that could be the problem
snow report
There is a lot of local opposition to this site, the cement works have been down a long time now and the local football clubs now used some of the wasted ground, there have been planning meeetings followed by more meetings and on each occasion the local people turn up with thousands of signatures as to why it should not go ahead.

I have mixed feelings about it, only because I know the family who run the Ipswich Ski Centre and I have skied there since it opened many years ago (when it faced the other way!) it would be nice to ski on snow locally, but I wouldn't want a friends business to end, as I am sure Ipswich does not need 2 slopes and most people would prefer snow to bristle matting (or whatever it is !)

http://www.eadt.co.uk/search/story.aspx?brand=ADVOnline&category=StowmarketNews&itemid=IPED16%20Nov%202007%2010:05:42:343&tBrand=ADVOnline&tCategory=search
snow conditions
Tamworth is in the middle of a re-fit. The problem is that they then took over the gym/swimming pool adjacent to the Snowdome, and have spent much of their time getting that refurbished and re-opened, and so the actual Snowdome looks very tired. However the cafes and other facilities have much improved over the last few years, and once the actual decor in the Snowdome has been sorted, it will be very nice indeed.

I've also been to Milton Keynes and I'd say that Tamworth is way cheaper, has much, much better snow, and I'd choose Tamworth over MK any time. Don't know about the others, but since I live 2 miles from the Snowdome, I'd be reluctant to go anywhere else unless it was much better and much cheaper than Tamworth.
snow conditions
docsquid wrote:
Tamworth is in the middle of a re-fit. The problem is that they then took over the gym/swimming pool adjacent to the Snowdome, and have spent much of their time getting that refurbished and re-opened, and so the actual Snowdome looks very tired. However the cafes and other facilities have much improved over the last few years, and once the actual decor in the Snowdome has been sorted, it will be very nice indeed.

In truth though it was tatty and in need of a refit well before the gym/swimming pool went under and they bought it out so I'm not sure that's a reason why they haven't given the dome a facelift before now - good that it's getting one now though and lets hope they stop the drips from the roof that seem to contribute to those icy patches.

I like it though and I think the staff there are pretty excellent on the whole but like the other UK domes it's way too short and the travellator is way too slow. I haven't visited any of the other domes but have heard very mixed things about the Xscape ones that have led me not to bother trying them. I'd definitely like to get up to Chill Factore sometime though, but only once all the opening hullabaloo has subsided.
ski holidays
dazman wrote:

Albeit a bit disorientating coming in at +35 degrees to -1 but I loved it and it would make great pre-season training.
?
35:1 (ie 35 to 1)? (= 1.6º - almost flat)
35º? (=70% - very, very steep)
35%? (= approx 2.8:1 or 19º) - possibly right: was that for the top half or an average?

In the past the snow at MK has been better than Tamworth, but the slopes keep changing depending how well they are maintained.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 12-12-07 10:28; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 brian
brian
snowball, Dubai, so celsius I think Laughing
snow report
brian, Very Happy
latest report
roga, the Snowdome has had a massive re-fit over the past year, but not the main slope. The nursery slope, the children's snow play area and the ice rink have all been improved, as well as a big refurb to the cafe area. That only finished recently, and then the fitness thing came along and they had to do something about that quickly. They were working on the main slope in the Summer - re-wiring and removing some of the roof lining. Presumably due to replace it and make it look nicer. That all stopped when the work on the fitness centre started. I suspect they will not be able to finish it now until after this coming ski season.

snowball, the snow at MK when we went in June was definitely much poorer than Tamworth. Tamworth can be icy first thing, but it is much better than 2-3 years ago. Removing the plastic sheeting in the roof has cured the ice drips - not seen any in the last few weeks (we go once a week).

It is short, but still long enough to practice drills or have a bit of fun. Better than no skiing at all IMO.
ski holidays
Always used to go to Tamworth from Banbury as only place available, but now go to MK.

IMO MK has better snow than Tamworth, I believe MK is snow from cannons rather than the scraped ice they use at Tamworth. Although this may well have changed since last visit. The other reason for going to MK instead is the dedicated practice/lesson slope they have there. At Tamworth lessons were always on the hill, again I believe that they have now opened a mini mini snow hall for beginner and child lessons.

The one thing I detest about Tamworth is that stupid Travelator thing - slow and excellent for ruining your own skis should you take them
snow conditions
The slow poma at Cas' is a nightmare. Good call from MarkS, to run the unused poma at full speed. They could put a sign up as a disclaimer and they could get away without having it staffed. As it is 2 staff are not that far away working the slow poma.

Puzzled and why is there never any snow on the tow path of the poma ????? Shocked

Also cant understand why its the same price even if you take your own gear ??? rolling eyes
ski holidays
I believe that they are thinking of putting a snowdome in High Wycombe on the old Wycombe heights dry ski slope which the "chalet" complex burnt down a few years ago.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=787654&highlight=wycombe#787654

Actually looking at the new report again, I wouldn't call it so much as a snowdome as a snowhut!!!
ski holidays
Gonna be difficult to compete with this - 400 metres! There's a video of the decsent - Watch for the boarder wiping out on 52 seconds! Smile

http://www.skidubai.com/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy