Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort near Geneva (for a weekend)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am flying in and out of Geneva next week for the weekend 28 Nov - 2 Dec, so should get in 3 days skiing.
Does anyone know what resorts have the best snow @ the mo, within easy reach (a few hours) of Geneva, and how to get there by public transport.

I am red run competent, but I think it is time I tried a black. Travelling with two people who have only skiied once though.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.
S.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Verbier is open weekends, and if there is 3 of you get a car it takes about an hour and it a plesant drive around the lake. Alternatively you could get the train right from the airport all the way to Zermatt, with a couple of changes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sunnek, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Verbier is probably your best bet, near Geneva, but it's not the friendliest of resorts for people who have only skied once, so it might be a good idea for them to book a private lesson or two. Let us know how it goes - it's always useful to have information about short breaks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sunnek, but I think you'll find it's nearer two hours drive than one.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sunnek, I would head up to Avoriaz for that weekend. Only just over an hour away and they have had plenty of snow(with more on the way) during the build up to the season.

Just need to check how much of the ski area will be open by then.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the welcome. Yeah Zermatt might be a bit far this time (one day hopefully).....can you get to Verbier by public transport or just a hire car?
And I will of course provide feedback once I get back.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sunnek, you can do Zermatt via Cervinia. It is probably only about 2.5 hours max via the tunnel to Cervinia. I've no idea if it is open yet though Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sunnek, Altibus to Tignes from the airport is a good bet if you are happy with three full days skiing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Just need to check how much of the ski area will be open by then

V. important. Many resorts will not be open in full, or at all, regardless of how much snow they have. Anyway, the snow is melting round there at the moment! It's raining. To be sure, personally, I'd head to Tignes though it's three hours drive.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow is melting where???
I am getting confuses
Tignes - Zermatt - Verbier - Avoriaz

Based on snow conditions and how much or resort will be open where do people recommend?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can do either Verbier or Chamonix (both open weekends only) with train and bus but its quicker to use a transfer company.
http://www.alpybus.com/home
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sunnek, high glacier resorts (with skiing up to 3500 meters) like Tignes and Zermatt and Saas Fee for example should be ok, Verbier less so, Avoriaz lesser so, if in doubt go high

best option - trains to Swiss resorts, coaches to French resorts
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sunnek, wait and see for a bit based on the weather forecast. It is set to cool down and if it turns out to be cold and snowy you may as well stay low.

Everywhere in Switzerland is accessible by public transport. Check out the timetables on www.rail.ch.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Snow is melting where???

well, in Avoriaz for a start. 17mm of rain forecast for today....it is indeed set to cool down again, and things are going to improve, but there'll need to be significant new snow as well.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wait and see, and decide at the last minute. I'm guessing you have no-where booked yet, and the prices won't change too much between now and then so no need to book too far in advance. Plus it's pretty much interseason so you should be able to name your price with the hotels! But I'll be arriving in Morzine/Avoriaz so expect LOTS of snow at night, and clear sunny days. I had a word with the man upstairs and it's all been arranged. wink
snow conditions
i hear Bansko is near Geneva and an excellent alternative to Chamonix or any other of these over priced over valued over hyped 'great' European resorts Evil or Very Mad
latest report
plectrum wrote:
i hear Bansko is near Geneva and an excellent alternative to Chamonix or any other of these over priced over valued over hyped 'great' European resorts Evil or Very Mad
I love 22 hour drives! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Ice pie - thanks for the insight!!!! I will bear it in mind!!!

Onb a slightly different note does anyone know if it is cheaper to get a swiss pass train ticket or just pay for two single jouneys (to zermatt for example)...... Cool
latest report
sunnek, get the swiss transfer ticket before you leave uk. It's about £57 and must be bought in the UK.
ski holidays
sunnek, it depends on where you are travelling to.

www.sbb.ch is the swiss rail website. You can find out from there what the walk on price would be.
latest report
Also for anybody who wants a 1,2 or 6 day lift pass and a train ticket together, check out the snow'n'rail offer from the SBB http://www.railaway.ch/Francais/snowandrail/index.html
snow conditions
sunnek, Welcome to snowHead 's. There is a group of three going to Geneva around that weekend also from Ireland! Not 100% sorted where to go, maybe meet up! Two of the group are SCGB Gold standard (whatever BS that means), The other is Silver Minus, your friends could possibly ski with that member of the group!

Cant give you difinative advice on where to go as it is still in the lap of the gods!!!

sunnek, Where are you based? Give me a PM and I will put you in touch with the organiser.
snow report
jbob, This weekend the Grands Montets is publicly planning only one chairlift. Tignes would be my bet. Stay in Val D'Isere (it's more fun).
snow report
Roy Hockley, I am not entirely sure how to pm on this forum roy so let me know if you get this.
ski holidays
I'd wait till the absolute last minute and go for Tignes or Avoriaz depending on conditions - probably Tignes. Like David Murdoch says, there won't be much open at Les Grands Montets.

Does it have to be public transport? Between three of you, it would almost certainly be cheaper to hire a car, and you'd have much more flexibility.
latest report
We stayed at Les Carroz at Hotel Bois le bois de la char year before last, 40 mins from Geneva and at the bottom of piste. www.hotel-boisdelachar.com Owner was very friendly and nice little bar and restaurant. Got taxi transfer with www.gomassif.com with a chap called Dan who was fantastic. We went mid week Mon to fri and had a great time, access to Flaine plenty of excellent skiing.
ski holidays
Having said that it will be closed, but worth a try another time
snow report
sunnek, Where did you decide to go? We are off on Friday to Avoriaz. Hope wherever you go you will enjoy! If in our area let me know and we can try and catch up!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy