Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help, I'm getting nervous...

Poster: A snowHead
...because I'm going skiing on 6 January, BUT

a) my fitness programme has been completely knackered by getting flu. I currently have just about enough energy to wobble about on my Bosu ball a bit, anything strenuous brings on considerable malaise, including palpitations (I've been prone to them all my life, but they're always worse on the very rare occasions I'm sick). So I'm not going to the gym.

b) I'm doing an off-piste course, am presently completely hopeless off the piste. I'm not as fit as I'd like to be and the more I read about avalanches on here, the more nervous I'm getting.

c) I keep reading here about horrible accidents that can happen both on-piste and off. (I've never sustained a major injury skiing, but there's always a first time...)

d) could be that the BAA strike will clobber the start of my holiday.

Any ideas about how I go about regaining my joy at the prospect of going skiing, other than withdrawing from snowHeads, which would at least solve problems b) and c).

Thank you. All suggestions welcome, especially silly or sarcastic ones.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle, cancel to off piste course, always ski in the middle of the piste, the bue piste, and if it is cloudy or there is a sniff of bad weather stay in bed Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle, was it something I'd said ? wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A large glass of (medicinal, obviously) genepi?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, a couple of weeks off your fitness regime through flu won't make any difference, there'll be no noticeable deterioration.

Secondly, off piste is exciting, and hard work when you first start. I had some terrible problems with nerves causing me to freeze on a fairly easy slope a couple of years ago (there's a thread on it somewhere), but you've just got to keep on throwing yourself at it, and sooner or later it'll all start to click into place.

Thirdly, a bit of nervousness about avalanches is a very good thing. Don't get blase.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, what rayscoops said along with: take up snowboarding.

problem a) solved; we don't care about fitness or the gym in the slightest. we just check we've packed enough rizla and off we go Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, a bit late to be worrying about your fitness isnt it? why sign up for a course which may involve an element of fitness??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
graeme, the fitness programme had been going OK until recently. Trekking in the Himalayas in mid-October helped.

snojito, nice idea, but fitness comes into this for me, in the sense that my arms are awfully puny, and I have a feeling that levering myself up, without the assistance of ski poles, after falling over a hundred times a day to start with, could be punishing. Still, I could just lie in the snow and have a smoke instead... wink

Kramer,
Quote:

there's a thread on it somewhere

Can't find it, probably just as well!
Quote:

a couple of weeks off your fitness regime through flu won't make any difference, there'll be no noticeable deterioration

aw thanks, that's encouraging. You kinda lose sight of that when you feel all feek and weable.
Quote:

Don't get blase

I'm not. Guess the thing that freaks me out the most is when you know that guides get it wrong. (The clue being that they're dead.)

rayscoops, Nick L, sound advice. I'll substitute something else for the genepi, not keen on it. but I get the general drift.

IncogSkiSno - nah, it's just that I've been pretty lucky for ages, and it is a dangerous sport, whichever you hack it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, Last year just 3 days before going skiing, they finally got to the bottom of my previous 3 months of aches & pains. They diagnosed polymyalgia rheumatica & started me on steroids. The pain went like magic, but standing at the top of the hill 3 days later is a moment I will never forget. Weak as a kitten & with balance out of sync I could not imagine how to get started, let alone how I was going to get to the bottom of the hill. Fortunately, I have a very kind & patient husband, & I made it & over the next 2 weeks my stamina returned.
I was suprised how quickly my fitness & strength returned - even doing a little bit of off piste for the first time in the second week with our guide friend. So dont despair if you feel a bit weak now - I'm sure you're fitter than you think after your Nepal trek. It will return wink Failing that, ask your GP for a hefty dose of steroids Toofy Grin (second thoughts - dont go that far Embarassed )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh dear, please don't be too kind, this lurgy is making me feel tearful and people being kind is the very worst thing for that! No, seriously, it's lovely to have some encouraging words too. Thanks, geri, glad you were sorted. I assume that all is well now, given how much tennis you appear to play?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, Mmm well, it had been going well till a couple of weeks ago - they had to up the steroids again. It only interfered with tennis prior to diagnosis & again last week.
snow report
 brian
brian
Hurtle, panic ye not about avalanches. I think your plane is more likely to crash on the way over than your guide lead you into a slide. There, an alternative catastrophe to take your mind off it, reassuring n'est-ce pas ? Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, it's only cos you feel lousy at the moment. Flu knocks the stuffing out of you. You've got over 2 weeks before you go, plenty of time to shake it off, and to regain the little bit of lost fitness. I'm sure you're already an awful lot fitter than most of the peeps who go skiing, after your Nepal trip. So stop worrying, have a big hot toddy or two and a Happy Christmas. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, car crash to the airport is the thing to worry about wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always get nervous before a course. Seems a normal thing to do if you're getting outside of your comfort zone. I normally settle into the swing of thing after an hour or two of the course.
ski holidays
geri, oh dear, sorry to hear that.
brian, ah, forgot to say I was scared of flying. Toofy Grin
RachelQ, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Happy Christmas to you too!
rob@rar, thanks. Gotta feeling, though, that my learning curve could be a bit steeper than yours. wink
snow report
Quote:
levering myself up, without the assistance of ski poles, after falling over a hundred times a day to start with, could be punishing.

Hurtle, you've got the wrong idea. Getting up onto the toe edge of your board (ie facing uphill) is easy as anything, no leverage involved. Getting up onto the back edge is much harder, but nothing to do with arms. Quads/abdos, more like. I'm useless at it - the excuse being I'm elderly. So I always chuck my board over and get up on the toe edge. Idle, that's what it is. So, whilst there are all sorts of other reasons why you might not want to snowboard, puny arms can't be one of them. Sorry! wink

Why don't you go into the media zone and look at some of those gorgeous pictures of pretty places covered in snow. And put on some uplifting music. Jan 6th gives you plenty of time to start feeling better. Don't be hard on yourself. Everybody else on your off piste course will be feeling the same - that's why they're doing the course. That's what I'd like to do, one of these days.
snow report
pam w, oh, that's interesting. I'd like to be able to board, actually, I'm just too lazy to go through the learning process. And, btw, I'm elderly too (though do Pilates, so core strength isn't too bad.)
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar, thanks. Gotta feeling, though, that my learning curve could be a bit steeper than yours. wink

That's kind of you to say, but clearly you haven't seen me flailing around in powder Embarassed
ski holidays
Hurtle,

You still have a couple of weeks to force yourself to do some work.. It will pay off so do it. I went on holiday last year not in the best shape..due to the lurg, I think, and I never recovered throughout the week........so do the hard yards now, IMV
snow report
JT, nice idea, but just at present, I've hardly got the energy to walk upstairs. Sad
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Guess the thing that freaks me out the most is when you know that guides get it wrong. (The clue being that they're dead.)

Ah well, yes. There does happen to be a fairly brutal natural selection process when it comes to guides who don't know their onions though, so generally you can be confident that the alive one that you've just hired had the nouse to keep him(her)self alive long enough to meet you. Although not quite such a brutal selection process, the free market tends to see to guides who make a habit of losing clients.

In all seriousness there are many different levels of exposure, and although it'll feel quite scary to you, as an introduction to off piste, you won't be going anywhere particularly dangerous. Even as you get better and do start going to more exposed places ("zis is a place not to fall please"), it's always a controlled risk within your abilities.
ski holidays
Hurtle, pull yourself together woman and just get on with it wink
ski holidays
Hurtle,

a) If you've been training for a while (months/years) then a couple of weeks off won't have too much impact.

b) It scares me too. Just keep going (as in don't stop) untill you find your rythem. You woon't get hit by an avalanch - I bet you a £10.

c) Very true, but still rare.

d) Also true, but you can't do anything about it so no point worrying.

How long have you felt poorly?
ski holidays
Mosha Marc,
Quote:

How long have you felt poorly?

I've been hatching this thing for about three weeks (perhaps because I do Pilates, I'm quite bodily aware, so know if something's not 100%), but I was still working out, and it's only this week that it's properly shown itself with a really painful cough and fever. But my cough is now looser and I guess I'll be back at the gym by, say, Monday. Hope so. I do know that there's no point worrying about any of these things, if I'd been terribly concerned, I wouldn't have signed up in the first place, it's just my flu-ey frame of mind at the moment. minx's advice is probably the best yet! wink But thanks to everybody for bothering to reply to this silly post.
snow report
minx wrote:
Hurtle, pull yourself together woman and just get on with it wink

Hear hear! It's seen as an extreme sport for a reason, stop being such a wimp!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timmaah, good idea, as I've just said. (Why, I ask myself, does minx's advice seem humorous whereas yours doesn't? Answers on a postcard...)
snow report
Hurtle, In all seriousness the sense of achievement at the end of your course will far outweigh the trepidation you feel now. I sincerely hope you get a bluebird powder day and get to stop at the bottom of a "blast", turn round and look at your tracks. Please get someone to take a picture of the grin on your face.

You will not have lost the alignment, strength and body control that pilates gives you in a few short weeks. I am envious get out there and have a fabulous time.......
YOU GO GIRL Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get a grip, treacle.

Nobody gets ill above 5k feet.

Noone ever dies when the sun is out.

If it hurts, whack some Deep Heat on it.

If it avalanches, ski a bit faster.
snow report
minx, Whitegold, Laughing

....dear me, I think I've just come over as a total wimp. Whereas in fact all I have is a touch of flu. How embarrassing. Embarassed
latest report
Hurtle, who're you doing the off piste course with?
ski holidays
A thread about off piste skiing and fitness.

A must think of something to write
A must think of something to write...............
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, as far as I'm concerned, off-piste is the period just after lunch ! snowHead
snow conditions
Smokin Joe, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle, I've read all of your concerns and have decided that you shouldn't go. As the trip is fully paid for, it would be a shame to waste the money, so out of the goodness of my heart, I will take your place. I'll be happy to tell you all about it on my return, maybe even a few pictures of the peril I will be enduring on your behalf.
snow report
Spyderman,
Quote:

I'll be happy

Wot, with a bunch of SCGB wink wrinkly off-piste numpties? I don't think so, somehow!
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Spyderman,
Quote:

I'll be happy

Wot, with a bunch of SCGB wink wrinkly off-piste numpties? I don't think so, somehow!

Hurtle I admire your honesty and openess wink
ski holidays
Hurtle, At least now your problem (d) is out of the way, with the first strike not being until after you leave.
snow report
Yes, pull yourself together and be thankful it wasn't man-flu..then you can come on here whingeing
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Spyderman,
Quote:

I'll be happy

Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy