Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Northwave SL2 lacing - where do the laces go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone use/own any Northwave boots with the SL2 lacing system?

I just bought some Northwave Decade SL2 boots for my upcoming time on the snow, woooo! They arrived today and I'm really pleased with them. They look great and more importantly they feel great; I'm fairly certain they will be the business out on the mountain. The lacing system also seems like it will be my friend... managed to lace 'em up tight in under a minute without a lace puller and without losing the skin on the back of my fingers (unlike previous boots). However, I am left with one problem... what do I do with the long loops and leather tabs which are left sticking out once the boots are tighted up?

The [basic] picture-series instruction on the inside of the box the boots came in says "Stow the laces away" and seems to show the laces and tabs neatly disappearing over the top of the tongue and inside the boot. Problem is this... when I do the laces up tight enough to ride, the tongue is too tight against the inner to let me store the tabs/laces in there as I think the picture indicates. The back of the [large] leather pull tabs each have a hook on, presumably for clipping on to something... but what?

The boots are fantastic but further instructions wouldn't have gone amiss... anyone else had this and if so how did you deal with it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shallimus, welcome snowHead

I opted for the Boa System so can't help, but someone will have a nugget of good info for you soon I'm sure !!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the welcome debbi Very Happy

Actually further messing about (I'm in the office, but a slight computer glitch meant I couldn't do any work for 20 mins) and I think I've got a workable solution... the leather pull tabs are velcro on the inside, sort of like a book with velcro and the lace runs on the inside of the 'spine'. I've found that if you open up the pull tabs, loop the laces round and round the 'spine' and then velcro the tabs shut, they then hook relatively neatly into the loop on the front-top of the tongue (which says 'DECADE'). It's much neater than it was (where I was trying to jam the left-over lace into any gap in the boot) but still not as cool as in the picture and I reckon it still might come off/undone during a hard day on the slopes.

So, I have an idea to share with anyone with the same problem as me, but still very interested to hear better ideas. Also, I've now been wearing these boots under my desk at work for 20 minutes to see how they feel and my feet feel like they're gonna melt; hopefully this bodes well for extreme cold at the top of St.-Martin-de-Belleville valley, or even Canadia-land... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shallimus, Welcome! snowHead

I just stuff mine down behind the tongues - methinks you may be pulling too hard (fnarr fnrarr)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fnarr fnarr indeed wink thanks for the welcome saxabar

As for the possibility of over-tightening, I reckon it's possible. However, bearing in mind that I'm quite tall (6'3) and quite heavy (around 18 stone/115kg), I prefer to have boots fairly tight (also ice skates, street skates etc.) as otherwise it feels as though something bad might happen to my ankles or knees.

Those pull tabs are fairly big though... are you jamming them down behind the tongues as well or are you removing them and just tucking the laces down? The laces I can see fitting, but not those tabs.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy