Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spare tyres for driving to the mountains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
NOTE TO BMW OWNERS WITH RUN-FLAT TYRES.....there's no jack Shocked Shocked .
Pleased I checked, would not have even thought about that until you started this post Shocked . That's one for the REMEMBER TO TAKE list...find a jack rolling eyes

pam w, Not too bad if you put it like that! One less haircut for Missus R32 then wink .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, I'm intrigued. Which one of your tyres cost £2 to fit Puzzled and why Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Watched a German car program over the weekend. Snow tyres were covered the salient points were .....

1. Snow chains are designed to fit winter tyres (with a higher wall) and don't fit low profile summer sports tyres very well.

2. When a German man with summer tyres and chains on the front (driven) wheels lost the back end on a decent his car was damaged. His insurnace refused to pay out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

a German man with summer tyres and chains on the front (driven) wheels lost the back end on a decent his car was damaged

I lost the back end with snow tyres and chains on the front (driven) wheels and summer tyres on the back. Not on a descent either, but on a very gentle ascending bend, which I took exceeding slowly. I did a stately 180 skid, managed to control it and didn't hit anything because I stayed on the road and nothing else was coming. I was lucky, and I now have 4 snow tyres and use chains as well, not infrequently. However I'm out for the season. someone driving a UK based car to the Alps for a week, with "ordinary" tyres, and properly fitted chains, would surely be deemed to have taken responsible decisions? To buy 4 (or even two) snow tyres when you just go for a week now and then would be very expensive. In France, since many cars hired in winter, in ski areas, seem to come with summer tyres, would an insurance company have made the same decision? When I bought my original two snow tyres, in Sallanches, the French guy assured me I'd only need two - he could have sold me 4 as I'd have taken his advice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hugh Jarse, OK, well actually the cost for fitting and balancing was £10.63 per wheel; I was generalising....sorry!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, I was joking....sorry! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

someone driving a UK based car to the Alps for a week, with "ordinary" tyres, and properly fitted chains, would surely be deemed to have taken responsible decisions?

I hope so as that's what we do - having done some research it is not a legal requirement to have Winter Tyres in France, only to fit chains when required.

NB does of course differ between countries
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
R32, about £7 per tyre around Durham.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Helen Beaumont, Just had the tyres fitted, cost £20......with valves and balancing done all for £5 a wheel.....bargain!!! Went to ATS.....rather pleased with myself considering they were selling the identical tyres for double the price too Very Happy Very Happy .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
R32, excellent.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy