Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend resorts for 2 holidays?!

Poster: A snowHead
The Skiers: Both have done 6 weeks in Cervinia\Zermatt, La Plagne (though not les Arcs), Arinsal and La Tania. Both comfortable on most pistes (incl black) if the snow is decent. No off-piste experience. We are mileage-hungry intermediates who like to ski from first lift to last on new ground all week. Not interested in night life. More interested in ski in\out. Not interested in too many creature comforts. All we need is slopey bits with lifts and snow.

The Question: We have budget for 2 weeks skiing this year. One week in jan and one late in the season. We want to ski new areas (i.e. not cervinia\Zermatt or Three Valleys though we love both and will return eventually). We would also like to sample some off-poiste with guide. we're looking for quality sliding amnd lots of it

WHAT TWO RESORTS DO YOU RECOMMEND AND WHY?

PS: I already have some ideas so want to see if they make sense.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As one,

Les Arcs/La Plagne aka Paradski. 425km of skiing. Stay in either Plan Peisey/Montchavin or Les Coches for closest access to the Vanoise Express which gives you very easy acess to both sides.

If your mileage people, like me and the wife, its heaven snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Arcs is in my current top 3. Will keep an eye on prices and probably try to go in March.
Ta
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gollancz,

Watch out for an early Easter in March this year. We are going for a short break 12th to 16th March. Easter is weekend after. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gollancz, Serre Chevalier. 250kms of pistes, enough to keep you smiling for a week and more. Some excellent accessible off-piste, ideal for your first adventures, and nearby La Grave if you're more experienced. Not ski-in ski-out, but if you look carefully you can find good accommodation close to the lifts. Less expensive than most resorts, and January is uncrowded.Lots of sheltered skiing if the weather closes in. Close to budget airports (Turin and Grenoble) to make the most of the cheap flights. Also some cheap tour operator deals on offer too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Serre Chevalir: Thanks for that one. Have considered this one before but am a little wary from a snow perspective for january.....but its looking good now. Will keep an eye out. Sounds good for bad weather alright. better than freezing your n*ts off in a whiteout elsewhere.
Ta again
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gollancz wrote:

WHAT TWO RESORTS DO YOU RECOMMEND AND WHY?

PS: I already have some ideas so want to see if they make sense.

1 La Rosiere
2 La Thuile

mischief
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
where's the WHY bit? don't know too much about either...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are into high milage give Arabba a look
If you like it go twice Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gollancz wrote:
where's the WHY bit? don't know too much about either...

Hes tkaing the p*ss wink Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gollancz Alp D'Huez is also woth considering if you like the feeling of travelling around on skis. There are at least half a dozen villages connected by the same pass/lift network

We stayed in Vaujany which quiet but enjoyable, or there are plenty of other places such as Oz or the main resort itself of course.

Good choice of flights to Lyon or Grenoble and I think there is day at neighbouring Les Deux Alpes included on the week ski pass
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Espace Killy (Val d'Isere+Tignes) for your late trip. 300km of piste and pretty snowsure.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gollancz,
It depends on whether you want to repeat the same type of experience in different resorts or whether you want a different type of experience.
Les Arcs & Val D'Isere /Tignes are kind of variations on the Tarentaise theme and not dissimilair to 3V and La Plagne all pretty good densly pisted fairly snow sure high French skiing generally in purpose built surroundings.

I like Serre Che which is generally a bit more laid back, less factory like but not quite as big or well organised. Though for variety with a car you have the milky way 2alpes etc close by on a shared pass.
Also in France you can ski Portes de Soleil which offers a very large area that is not nearly so well connected but great fun.

You could try an Austrain variant such as St Anton /Lech /Zurs or Transnational Ischgl/Samnaun both have good snow records and for me don't have the factory feeling that some French resorts do
Switzerland has fabulous places like Flims/Laax or Davos Klosters.
Itasly has the Milky way or the Dolomites (which I haven't been to but would love to try.
I could name at least a dozen others all enjoyable.

Which would I choose?

January as always I would wait and see where has the best snow. March I would like to try something differnt to January.

If I was choosing two in advance I would go St Anton Jan and Serre Che March but its just cos I like them not necessarily because they are the best.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gollancz, Mr m and I are the similar to you 2, like to do the miles etc - size matters!!!!

Can recommend Ski Welt - Austria - lots of lovely cruisy pistes. Can rack up some serious mileage over the whole area. Portes du soleil is a huge area - ski in/out stay in Avoriaz. We usually like to be slopeside or as close as poss but make an exception for Banff as it is fantastic.

On our to do list....
Alpe d'huez
Sella Ronda
Val d'Isere/Tignes.
Milky Way.

This season we're doing Banff in Jan and Zermatt end of March.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Verbier or Chamonix have to be skied at least once in your lifetime Smile
snow report
Great.
For Jan, We're choosing from Les Arcs, Alpe D'Huez, Serre Chevalier, Selva Ronda and Champoluc (that last one being the favourite....should have said we like Italy)
For Mar, I think we are decided on Tignes

Will wait til late to see what the snow does. Thanks for the list which will keep us going for next year!
snow conditions
gollancz wrote:
Serre Chevalir: Thanks for that one. Have considered this one before but am a little wary from a snow perspective for january.....but its looking good now. Will keep an eye out. Sounds good for bad weather alright. better than freezing your n*ts off in a whiteout elsewhere.
Ta again

We've never had a problem with lack of snow in January, it used to be our preferred time for a trip. It had more snow in January than most places last year too. Dumping down now in fact.
latest report
Staying this side of the pond I'd be Les Arcs in january (staying near the link to La Plagne). I seem to remember a lot of tree skiing which is good if conditions are a little white.
For march i really like PDS (stay near the ardent access point). Snow always holds up really well, there are numerous circular routes and excellent on slope restaurants. Pretty easy to get a cheap deal as well.

Really enjoyed whistler in march a few years back and would like to try the US at some stage
snow conditions
PDS? Que?
ski holidays
gollancz wrote:
PDS? Que?

Portes de Soleil (Avoriaz, Morzine, Champery etc.)
snow conditions
Another vote for Ski Welt in Austria (Soll)

250km

Other villages you can ski to from Soll:

Brizen
Ellmau
Schauffu
Itter
Going
Hofgarden (Sp)

Great intermediate runs. Different village for lunch every day.
ski holidays
gollancz, The two I'm going to recommend as far as I know have no on slope accommodation. As Johnboy says Soll is great. I would go in January. Then I would go to anywhere on the Sella Ronda. If the snow is good in March. Both of these have great intermediate terrain,are cheap to eat and drink, and cheap to get too if you wait for the late deals
snow conditions
Les Arcs.
Tignes.
Lech.
Saalbach-Hinterglemm.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy