Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Swiss maps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I need to get hold of two copies of a map - "Zermatt / Gornergrat 1:25,000 ‘Landeskarte Der Schweiz’ No. 2515"

Anyone have any ideas of good places to look online?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.swisstopo.ch/en/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.themapshop.co.uk/
Best map shop in UK
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
incidentally, if that's for skiing it's the wrong map.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pretty sure that's the one i used for my off piste course. Think i got it from Stanfords.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stanfords in London have a website www.stanfords.co.uk
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1 wrote:
pretty sure that's the one i used for my off piste course. Think i got it from Stanfords.

It might be the recommended one on a course. The actual ski maps are better in practise though, they're 1:50000, mark the lifts, ski routes and have a simple coding for slopes over 30'. The 1:25000 doesn't really give any more usable detail, there's no extra features contained on the 1:25000's compared to the 1:50000's. I think that's the reason Swisstopo/SwissSki do them at this scale, it's just more practical and more usable.

Even for summer use the 1:50000's are more practical, it's the nature of the terrain. It's not like the UK OS maps where the 1:25000's are always better. There's only so much feature on a mountain or glacier so after a certain point you're overzoomed.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

It's not like the UK OS maps where the 1:25000's are always better.

Not necessarily, there are areas of the UK where the 1:25000 become too clutered and it's easier to nav from the 1:50000.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly wrote:
Quote:

It's not like the UK OS maps where the 1:25000's are always better.

Not necessarily, there are areas of the UK where the 1:25000 become too clutered and it's easier to nav from the 1:50000.

I was rather thinking of hiking where it is the case. In urban settings it's going to be a little different.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's defo the one BASI recommend. But no harm in turning up with both.

Thanks for the pointers.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ise, I'm talking about places like the Cairngorms and Glencoe. I haven't been to Skye but I imagine the Cuillins would be easier to nav with a 1:50000 too. The 1:25000 maps of these areas have too much detail.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy