Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Gardena info and recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of changing our annual trip from Val di Fiemme to Val Gardena this year. None of us have ever been, so recommendations on accommodation and general info would be very welcome. We're going to need to stay in apartments, since between us we have 3 babies. A bit of Googling turned up these: http://www.acadia.it/en/hotels-villasaba-apartments.htm has anyone had any experience of them?

All info v. welcome Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no experience of these accomodations but we stayed in val gardena a few years ago. we were surprised how larget the areas of selva and santa christina are. they are certainly not your little alpine village - quite large towns really. that said you do get good facilities (transport, food etc). you need to get a bus to get to the lifts - we got a small minibus each morning as the town is very steep and has lots of narrow roads. we also had a car which helped as we could drive up to selva if we liked. i wouldnt say dont go there but i would say dont expect it to be like a typical alpine ski resort. once you are on the mountain though who cares ?? !!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't have info the apartments but stayed in Selva and had a great time last season, were able to walk to the lifts. More fun skiing away from the Sella Ronda than skiing with the crowds on the loop, but worth it. There for a week and the food was great, ate early and never needed reservations.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks all! Accommodation seems very booked, so we might have to go back to Plan B and return to Fiemme. Maybe we can do a day at Gardena. Oh well!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi
I have skied in Selva and the Val Gardena area for three years now. I have two small children. They started private lessons at 3 and well worth it. By day three they could ski with us everywhere. Not sure about babies as its not the place to come back to the village for lunch, you want to be at the other side of the mountains by then. Its a brilliant place and fab for families. Loads of ski parks and child friendly eateries. Lots of charm and the best mountain huts. I'd highly recommend you try it in a couple of years with the children. Great family resort with attractions the adults will enjoy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Forgot to add.... Some selva hotels do a superkids offer in March which allows children under 8 the ski and stay free. Best offer I have ever found. Snow has always been fantastic even in late March.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gill543210, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

We're off to Selva in February, following a trip to Arabba this year. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magriggs, Going at the end of February for a week (3rd year running) - absolutely love it. The scenery is amazing. You get loads of piste for a fraction of the price of the 3 valleys. Very picturesque and good value for money.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
magriggs, Would echo the above, beautiful scenery and the food on the mountain would rank with Zermatt. Out of the two on the whole, I prefer Val Gardena, not the same faffing getting to the slopes!

You will have a great time, you could always try a B&B as the food is very good at most of the restaurants in the town as well. We will go back, maybe even this season! Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
magriggs, I've just got back from Christmas Week in Val Gardena, staying in Selva Very Happy . Can't help out with apartment recommendations, but can certainly recommend the Val Gardena/Grödental valley as a great skiing area (as you probably know the area was part of Austria up till the end of WWI, so the locals speak both Italian, German and the local Ladino language). I had previously done the Sella Ronda 3 years ago when staying in Canazei, so didn't bother doing the circuit this time - I found plenty of skiing to suit me within the valley, which has the 3 resorts of Selva/Wolkenstein, St Cristina, and Ortisei/St. Ulrich. If you stay in Selva, the main Ciampinoi gondala is centrally situated and takes you up to a plateau with a view of the SasLong Mountain, from which several routes start (there are some nice runs down to Plan de Gralba) or you can take Black run 3 (the Men's Downhill Course) which ends in St. Cristina - there is an alternative red piste as well Toofy Grin )
From St Cristina there is a short underground train ride which takes you to the Col Raiser gondola (look out for the St Bernard dog, when you get out at the top!) From here a blue run takes you to a chairlift from which you then reach Seceda. Seceda is a great place to stop for Lunch, and is the starting point of an excellent 10.5km red run (no.2) which takes you all the way down to Ortisei - recommended! snowHead
In passing it's worth mentioning that although the last snow was as far back as Dec 3rd Shocked , the conditions of the pistes were still very good - this was because of the low temperatures which preserved the snow and allowed use of their extensive network of snow cannons.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 30-12-07 22:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
magriggs, I agree with absolutely everything that Alastair Pink, says in his posting. We are actually thinking of going back to the dolomites in Winter 09. There is loads of skiing and the prices are not "french".
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I also totally agree with Alastair Pink, of what he says. Was there back in Jan 06 and stayed at the Corona Hotel in the centre of Selva. Food is great, people are so friendly. http://www.hotel-corona.it/
You have the best of both worlds as it has an Austrian and Italian feel. More Austrian in Selva but other areas around the Sella Ronda is more Italian. My favourite area to ski is Colfosco and Corvara. Wonderful views and the snow always seems to be better on that side as its slightly higher up, even better again when you get to Arabba.
The snow making in the whole Dolomiti Superski area is fantastic and the best around, even when there is little natural snow. Its well groomed and fantastic.

We will be going back there Jan 19th 08 for a week and staying at Hotel Linder with Inghams. http://www.linder.it/

If there is anyone else there and care to join us that would be great.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
surfski, Colfosco always seemed cold and dark for the obvious reasons, I however agree about Corvara. We stayed in Selva and I will be going back and as we are fortunate to get away to France pretty often, it is a big complement.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

you need to get a bus to get to the lifts

Eh? in Selva we were 50m from being ski in/out and when it dumped the road to the chalet was ridable.

What Alastair Pink, says about piste conditions is correct when we arrived it was +16 but the pistes were perfect if soft and bumpy late on.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We were in Val Gardena over Christmas staying in Selva, bit of a delay with the report…

So…. Stayed in the Hotel Pralong, very quiet, but friendly, and had really made the effort for Christmas, plus most importantly, the food was absolutely superb, and plenty of it!
It was in a great location too, pretty much opposite the red run to town from Plan Gralba, and a very slow two man chair up onto the main circuit.

Selva was a great place to stay, busy, with plenty of bars and shops, our favourite for an early drink was immediately opposite the blue to the centre of town, began with K… ??
Only issue we has was the amount of traffic at about 5pm, but was pleasant enough later in the evening.

The skiing was great though, and considering they’d had no snow for about 3 weeks, it was unbelievable, the sheer number of snow makers is incredible, and the grooming was superb.
We tried to get pretty much the first lift up every morning, and until about 11.30, it was quiet, and the conditions were great.
But, by mid afternoon, especially later in the week, and on the Sella Ronda, they were busy, and some of the red runs from the Campioni Gondola were rammed with struggling beginners sliding down on their back!
Our favourite runs were from the Dantercepies Lift, the red back towards Selva, and the long descent amid incredible scenery on the clockwise Sella Ronda.
Also great fun were the World Cup Black on the Sasslong, and the long run to Ortesei.

To be fare though, we hardly touched the surface, and will be back..
Would want to stay in Arabba next time though, for the steep North Facing Reds and Blacks, and maybe make it upto the Marmalada.
All in all, a great place, and the snow making must make it pretty reliable for early season.

Apologies to Alastair Pink, forgot the phone no… but glad to hear you enjoyed it.
ski holidays
Swirly, Selva is quite spread out. You must have been staying close to the Ciampinoi or over by the nursery lifts by the Dantercepies. You will need to get a bus if you are down towards St. Christoph.

AndyC, next time do the GS course over in La Villa, more challenging than the Sasslong IMO (naturally depends on conditions). My mind has drawn a blank re bar in middle of town we used to frequent! (Down a staircase).
snow conditions
AndyC, It's not too hard to make the Marmolada from Selva. Did you go to Lagazoui (sp?)?

Roy Hockley, we were between the gondolas, to get back you came through the nursery area took a left and the road our chalet was on intercepted the piste.
snow conditions
Swirly, Lucky devil. What was the name of the place? Might be of help later in the season!
ski holidays
Swirly

No, i suppose we would have got off after the first stage of the gondola from Arabba, would have been doable though I think, as the weather was never a concern, and i don't think we waited more than a minute all week for a lift.

Still.. its an excuse to go back

Remembered the name of the bar opposite the blue to the town centre, the kronestube, we also liked the small hut opposite the worlds shortest chair you needed to take the red back into town via Plan Gralba.

It must be said that the mountain huts are amazing in that area, the view from Jimmys Refugio?? just after the top of the Dantercepies Gondola, not to mention the food will live with us for a while, as wil the one at the top of the Porto Vesco(sp?) lift from Arabba, both highlights.. but there are hundreds more I'm sure
snow report
Roy Hockley, Chalet Soldanella, it's run by Crystal.

AndyC, yeah you get off at the midstation although it's possible to come from the top of the cable car. I agree about the lifts, we once ended up behind about five people waiting for a chairlift! The cafe at the top of Cinque Torri has IMO the best view of any.
snow conditions
Swirly, What's Soldanella like. Rooms, food, location etc. I was looking at it for later in the year.
latest report
If you wish to go up the Marmolada on a nice day the queue by mid-morning will be 40mins but the run down makes it worth it.
ski holidays
pokemon, location is excellent both for getting to/from the slopes and into town, although to get to town you will have to cross the piste. The accomadation itself was a bit strange for a chalet although well maintained: the owner redecorates each year. As in summer it's split into appartments so it feels quite spread out although there is plenty of space in the main living room for everyone. The food wasn't the most amazing but was fine, however, this is down to the chalet staff who will be different this year.

riverman, depends when you arrive, we rode over from Selva and didn't queue at all but another group from our chalet was about 20 minutes behind us and had to wait 30mins. It took us just over 2 hrs but we weren't motoring.
snow conditions
AndyC wrote:

.. we also liked the small hut opposite the worlds shortest chair you needed to take the red back into town via Plan Gralba.

Yes, it's nice there isn't it? Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy