Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sidecut and Ski characteristics

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm interested in trying to demystify the whole relevance of different ski dimensions, so bear with me! As far as I can see

-dimensions are classified as tip, waist and tail
-a big difference between tip/tail and waist would promote shorter turns
-however length of ski also effects turn radius (longer the ski, wider the turn)
-wider waist means better floating in powder
-narrower waist means better edge to edge responsiveness and grip on ice???
-wider tail compared to waist means more likely to carve (on rails) than skid??

For example I have quite a long ski- a 178 cm Salomon Crossmax V12 which also seems to have quite a significant sidecut with a reasonably narrow waist- (117/69/101). It seems that the length seems to make it stable at speed and long turns, with the sidecut helping the short turn ability with the trade-off being that I have to ski it quite energetically to make it work best, it doesn't do lazy skiing at slow speeds! However it also seems to be able to get more off the rails if asked to skid than say the 176cm Atomic SX12 despite the Atomic having a narrower tip and tail (115/68/99)- why?

Any corrections/comments welcome!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For what it is worth, you need to include torsional stiffness and overall ski flex along with construction, all create differences. It is a very complicated formula, even before you add the skier into it. Sorry, I seem to have over simplified things Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy