Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres

Poster: A snowHead
The swiss seem to agree with ADAC - Dunlop 3D and Michelin PA3 outstanding - as I said at the top, that was my original choice - unfortunatley the 20% cheaper dunlops dont come in the profile I need, leaving the FU****G expensive Michelin as the best option. Why oh Why cant these alpine types recommend a dirt cheap chinese product!! wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Murdoch,

Says they are recommended, just not "very recommended". Iv'e got Vredestein Snowtrac 2s on my Skoda, which was what I could source from a local tyre dealer for 4 wheels at a reasonable cost. My other choice was Michelin Alpins, but I couldn't source 4 of these.
I went by the Austrian AA report that DB, has linked to on previous winter tyres threads for my tyre size. I have noticed that there is a difference in the performance of the same tyre in different sizes.
martinperry,
Don't know where you are, but I get good use out of my winter tyres here from October through to early May, as I get better grip and braking on cold wet and icy roads as well as when we have snow. My usual problems are the other car drivers who are not so equiped (particularly those who drive rear wheel drive cars with wide low profile sporty tyres Twisted Evil )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As far as I can understand they were "very" or similar recommended for the larger size similar to my requirement. Unfortunatley, Im in the balmy South East, so only likley to get a month or two use in the UK. As you say, even if I could get around better, the roads will all be blocked by clueless numpties the moment theres a cm of snow down anyway!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another question - now it is looking increasingly likely that im going to be on my wide summer tyres, does anyone have real world experience of using Autosocks, as well as legality in CH? - they look promising in the tests, but first hand knowledge is so much better.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave Horsley, That'll be Swiss "politeness" for you. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just found this PDF which may be useful to some http://www.bfgnet.de/Documents/WinterTyres.pdf
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Trying to get winter tyres for my VW transporter van in the UK. I currently have M&S tyres but they are quite worn and my understanding is M&S don't match up to proper winter tyres. Contacted VW UK but they have no idea or recommendations on winter tyres, seems mad as I know in Austria where i'm going there are stacks of VW transporters with winter tyres. I just want to be sure I get the correct / optimal size, I'm also willing to buy a new set of wheels. So anyone ever put winters on a VW transporter T5 T30 SWB 2.5l Window van - what a mouthful but there are so many models. Currently tyres size is 215 / 65 / R16C .

Tried kwikfit but they don't do winters at all. Any recommendations on UK supplier or importers.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martinperry wrote:
Another question - now it is looking increasingly likely that im going to be on my wide summer tyres, does anyone have real world experience of using Autosocks, as well as legality in CH? - they look promising in the tests, but first hand knowledge is so much better.

Every report I've read about snowsocks (swiss, german & Austrian) say they are useless. In your position I'd be tempted to put some M&S tyres on it that will give better performance in the snow but could be tricky on ice. Maybe someone here can confirm if M&S tyres are legal in cuckoo land.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Waynos. MYTYRES.co.uk list 26 options for winter tyres on your van - suggest thats where to go! You are wasting your time speaking to UK suppliers
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Every report I've read about snowsocks (swiss, german & Austrian) say they are useless

A friend of mine has a sporty estate car with low profile tyres. He did not want to buy snow tyres nor could he use snow chains which would damage his alloys (yes, I know...!). Anyway, on the day we were due to leave the resort, we had a massive dump of snow which made it difficult to get up and out of the steep slope to the main road. He popped on his 'socks' and it pulled the fully laden car up and out with no problems at all. Worked for him when he needed it most.

I always carry snow chains for my rear wheel drive car, but I was impressed enough to consider the possibility of also using autosocks for the front tyres in really bad conditions so that I actually go round the bends rather than straight on unexpectedly!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
waynos,

It depends where you are, clearly your Kwikfit didn't want your business. I had quotes for winter tyres from Kwik fit this time last year, but they weren't the cheapest, and couldn't get four of the make and model I wanted. I eventually went to a localish independant company who had two tyres of the make and model I wanted in stock and could get two more in later in the week. Came to ~£250 for four tyres fitted. Dealing with the national chains it helps to know what you want, rather than just saying "please fit winter tyres" as you may get any old rubbish fitted, or even all season tyres as has happenned to me in the past (Vredestein quatracs and they actually worked quite well in the snow, but they weren't winter tyres as requested!)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A note of warning, snowsocks are not considered by the police to be the same as chains. You could be refused from being allowed on the mountain roads during a snowfall.
martinperry, have you tried the 15" rims? you say you have 22mm clearance on the caliper, was that an accurate measurement? because you only need 25.4mm to clear with the 15" take into account that the alloys have a greater wall thickness. Go on get your hands grubby Very Happy 15" tyres are much cheaper, my 17" tyres work out at about 50% more than an equialent rolling radius 15" Tyre.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will probably try that over the w/end, but im not optomistic - I vernier'd it as accuratley as poss in the dark with the wheel in place. You never know though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A small word of warning if your car is under warranty changing tyres to a make other than original equipment can invalidate your warranty.
The manafacturers Customer care department can advise you on this.
Make sure you receive confirmation in wrting (or by e-mail) that the tyre change is acceptable.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, Isn't that illegal? From here http://www.vredestein.com/Onlineadvies_veelgesteldevragen.asp?UsersessionID=73&FaqID=31
Quote:
Prescribing a certain tyre brand by the car manufacturer
Recommending a certain tyre brand by car manufacturers is also known as “fabrikatsbindung”.
It is against the law for car manufacturers to make it obligatory to use a certain tyre brand, for that is considered unfair competition. In the past, such obligations were published in the documents that came with new cars. Today this has lost all legal grounds thanks to European legislation (European Council Directive 92/23/EEC, article no. 4.5 and 6).
If original tires are replaced by tires with the right dimensions, load index and speed symbol for the vehicle for which they are intended, there is no reason to assume that these tyres cannot be fitted.
snow report
DB, My belief is that M&S tyres aren't classed as "Winter" tyres by the Swiss insurers - one reason why my M&S tyres are now in my basement. The other being their generally reported poor performance in winter conditions.

If anyone is having trouble getting info, may be worth contacting the vehicle manufacturer/distributor in a country where winter tyres are mandated and getting their advice (Switzerland, maybe Finland, etc.)
snow report
Needless to say, the 15" wheels didnt come close to fitting over my brakes, so 17/18" or nowt!
Back to the drawning board!! - M+S not an option - I dont want to compromise my 10 months on summer tyres.
snow report
I've been searching around the normal UK tryes outlets, most helpful so far has been ATS - able to supply several branded winter tryes and didn't laugh at me when I enquired or suggested I'd only get winters in the alps. Still waiting for a quote from VW - rather go with manufacture if possible.
snow report
martinperry, Whilst you had the wheel off did you by any chance notice what the offset was, it is usually expressed by ET ?? a search on Ebay could be worthwhile. 16 inch rims would clear the calipers and 215 or 205 x 60 x 16 are both only about 1% different revs/mile.
I picked up on Ebay 5 off 17 inch alloys for half the cost of one new one from Toyota Cool
ski holidays
thanks for the details - I didnt measure a precise offset, but 17" is the only way they are going to clear the caliper - c'est la vie
snow conditions
For winter tyres i have used www.camskill.co.uk

I am nothing to do with them, but they were not expensive and sent the tyres quickly.
snow report
martinperry, .... welcome to snowheads ...... snowHead

It may have been mentioned here already, but do check your insurance requirements and obligations in Switzerland in respect of winter tyres.

I have a faint recollection of reading something from a Swiss resident snowHead, that motor insurance may be invalidated if winter tyres are not used in Switzerland. The context was I think that the insured must take every precaution to prevent an accident and not using winter tyres, in winter, by default makes the insured negligent in the event of an accident.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy