Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Im looking to get a set of winter tyres for my MG ZTT (18" wheels - appalling in even slightly slippy conditions)
Ive done my homework, and have come down to Michelin PA3 or Dunlop SP wintersport 3D on the basis of ADACs latest test.
Anyone got any further tips?
Also, Im putting them on 15" rims - I can fit a 195 or 205 profile (original 225) - any advice? - I guess the thinner will cut better, but would it be too thin and compromise grip?/
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vredestein are good and cost less in Europe.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would agree with krunchie63, , and welcome to Snowheads martinperry,
snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any suggestions as a good place to buy - online or dealers?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try these people - I have used them many times. They come to you at home or work, and for me, they are cheaper than anybody else in my area. Easy!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tatty, link?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah yes - sorry - knew I forgot something..!

http://www.etyres.co.uk/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Tatty, have been looking at their site and is useful so good to get a recommendation
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
martinperry, I would put on winter tyres as close as possible in size to the original summer tyres.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the info - I think im probably going to use mytyres.co.uk - they seem to have a good range, but again, any other links appreciated
Ice perv - any reasoning behind your suggestion?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes: the car's suspension set-up will be tailored to provide the best comination of ride, handling, traction and grip for that size of tyre in normal conditions. If you deviate too much you may well negate a lot of the advantages the winter tyre will give you.

Unless your handbook, manufacturer or tyre-fitter say something different, try and match the overall wheel+tyre sizes as closely as poss. Bear in mind that if the overall wheel radius is different your speedo will no longer be accurate and you could end up getting fined even if the speedo says otherwise. You may also invalidate your warranty or insurance. I would def get professional advice on this one.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tire Size Calculator - http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
martinperry, Try Micheldever tyres/Protyre near Winchester
http://www.protyre.co.uk/

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 20-11-07 12:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
point taken - however both size tyres were used as OEM fittment, so all legit, and well within spec for radius etc - I was more interested in the dynamics of the overall journey - Obviously, the wider tyre will be better until I hit snow, but then the narrower will theoretically cut in better (higher point loading) - just unsure if the cutting advantage will be negated by the narrower contact area - Highly technical I know!! - look at a rally car on snow tyres (studded)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the ice perv wrote:
martinperry, I would put on winter tyres as close as possible in size to the original summer tyres.

I can't agree with this. The overall radius of wheel and tyre should be very similar but the wheel and tyre size can be very different.

the ice perv wrote:
Yes: the car's suspension set-up will be tailored to provide the best comination of ride, handling, traction and grip for that size of tyre in normal conditions. If you deviate too much you may well negate a lot of the advantages the winter tyre will give you.

Unless your handbook, manufacturer or tyre-fitter say something different, try and match the overall wheel+tyre sizes as closely as poss. Bear in mind that if the overall wheel radius is different your speedo will no longer be accurate and you could end up getting fined even if the speedo says otherwise. You may also invalidate your warranty or insurance. I would def get professional advice on this one.

The overall end diameter of the winter tyre & wheel will be very close to the summer tyre & wheel. What is lost in selecting a smaller wheel size is made up in the increased wall depth of the tyre. (e.g. In summer I run 17" wheels with lower profile tyres and in winter 16" wheels with a higher profile tyre albeit with a narrower width)

Generally narrower tyres perform better in european winter conditions. They cut through the slush and as they cut a narrower track they create less snow resistance. The ideal winter tyres recommended by the car manufacturers are almost always narrower but with a higher profile/wall depth. (Winter rally tyres are very narrow). My opinion is based on using winter tyres on various cars over numerous years and experience of Austrian friends/relatives doing the same here in Austria. I go for the narrowest winter tyre recommended by the manufacturer.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
martinperry, Try Micheldever tyres/Protyre near Winchester
http://www.protyre.co.uk/

I'd agree totally with you on this. Depends of course where you live but I think the savings there are worth the half hour drive for me.
snow report
Thanks for that - you seem to be coming from the same direction as me, and my gut feeling was leaning toward the narrower option. Obviously, the 195s are sactificing 3cm over the OEM fittment - would you view that as a normal ratio, or do you thing the 205s (2cm narrower) would be more suitable?
ski holidays
martinperry wrote:
Thanks for that - you seem to be coming from the same direction as me, and my gut feeling was leaning toward the narrower option. Obviously, the 195s are sactificing 3cm over the OEM fittment - would you view that as a normal ratio, or do you thing the 205s (2cm narrower) would be more suitable?

It's not just a case of that tyre size should do, here in Austria the permitted tyres are printed in the cars documents which need to be presented when selecting tyres. If you send me the full details of your car (inc engine size etc) and current summer tyres I could check to see what the local tyre suppliers/manufacturer would recommend and get back to you.
snow report
Thanks - Thats very kind of you - being a UK handbook, there is no mention of winter tyres !
Car is 2003 MG ZTT 190+ 2.5 litre - Summer fittment 225/45/18 Z - if you dont list that, the eqivalent rover is a 2.5L 75 tourer with 215////65////15 V
Thanks again
Martin
latest report
martinperry,

As it's a UK car that isn't common over here it might take a bit more time but I'll try me best and get back to you.
ski holidays
Wider tyres will equal less grip in snow irrespective of what electronic gubbins is on your car, indeed the more electronic junk like traction control, ABS, and power streering the more useless the car usually is in wintry conditions and this goes some ways to explain why half an inch of snow brings the entire country to a halt these days. Also because some have false belief all these systems will keep them out of trouble when their more likely to get them into trouble.

In the space of four years I've seen Inverness go from being able to cope with no major traffic problems with 18inches of snow falling in one afternoon, to being gridlocked by a couple of cm ! rolling eyes
snow report
martinperry,

I've found this german article about a man with the same problem

http://www.dornhoff.net/2005/12/09/mg-tf-und-winterreifen/

He's basically saying his car documents state

195/45 R16 75H on the front axle
215/40 R16 76H on the rear axle

He had problems getting the winter tyres for the front axle as only continental and Pirelli offered such a winter tyre size. He couldn't find anyone offering winter tyres for the rear axle. After speaking to the MG-Rover Competence Center in Neuss (Germany) they said he could use 195/45 R16 75H on both axles. Sorry to say these are tyres for 16" rims not 15". You would need to get rims to match these tyres.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 20-11-07 15:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
mines a ZT not a TF as above (TF is a small 2 seater, ZT a large saloon / estate), so doesnt apply
Thanks
ski holidays
Doh! sorry picked it up while searching using your model ref and didn't see that the model doesn't quite match up, found this relating to your car.

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/thema-mg-zt-hilfe-fragen-ueber-fragen-t666548.html

Quote:
Also laut Rover darf man nur die Felgen von Rover fahren, und halt mit der von Dir angegebenen Größe. Stahlfelgen gehen auf diesem Fzg. garnicht. Es gibt noch 17 Zöller für den ZT auch von MG.

rough translation ....

According to Rover only Rover wheels can be used on this car with the corresponding indicated tyres size.
Steel wheels / rims cannot be used at all but 17" alloys are available from MG.

It looks like you would have to put the same size winter tyres on your alloys. If you have to use chains they might scratch your alloys up. Mounting the wrong wheels / tyres combination can cause problems with tacho readings, breaking forces on (steel) wheels being too much etc. I would strongly advise against it - not worth the safety risk. Check with MG/Rover.

Then there is a thread here on a german forum

http://www.r75.info/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5237&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=winter+reifen&start=10

where a guy with an "MG ZT-T, 2003, 2.5 V6, 5 Speed" is also asking for opinions on winter tyres -
One of the replies states he uses 205/50 R17 winter tyres. The smaller tyre sizes with 15" rims were only suitable for other models in the range (e.g. 2.0 CDT). Looks like the 17" wheels and tyres would perform better but at the cost of a new set of tires and alloys Shocked

I doubt you will be able to use 15" rims on your car although they would fit smaller engined ZT's. Probably best to check with MG/Rover in the UK if they don't know ask them to contact MG Rover Germany (perhaps the Competence Center in Neuss) for clarification.

Winter tyres on more usual central european cars (e.g. Audi, VW, Ford, Merc, Renault etc) are very easy to identify and purchase but you got me sweating a bit on this one. Toofy Grin
snow report
Thanks for putting all that work in - its nice to not have to rely on babelfish!! - looks totally inconclusive!! - Im getting a clearer picture though!! - The kerbweight on the diesel is slightly lower than the 2.5, so I reckon the 195s are probably pushing my luck. Cant see any over riding problem with the 205s on 15" wheels though. Probably offer the best compromise
snow report
martinperry wrote:
Cant see any over riding problem with the 205s on 15" wheels though. Probably offer the best compromise

My tire sizes are 205/50 R17 summer and 205/55 R16 winter. I tried to get the car manufacturer to ok 195's for winter but they wouldn't. (My last car had 205's summer and 195's winter).

When put into this comparison tool the overall circumference and revs per mile are very similar.
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp
Under options on the right select "Scaled Tire Images" to a visual comparison.

How do your tyre sizes compare?
Not trying to find problems but it's not just kerb weight but gearing, braking, handling etc all play a part on tyre selection. I'd really check it out with MG Europe to be sure.
ski holidays
Already done the check on overall size - within 1.3%, so cant see any issues there! - I wish I could check with the manfacturer, but they went bust 2 years ago - DOH!
ski holidays
As I understand it you have 225/45/18 and are planning to use 205/55/15 in the winter. Is this right?.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
be careful downsizing as brake caliper and disc clearance can become an issue. You need to either source manufacturer steel rims with the correct offset of ensure you know what offset that is required.

Also some cars requie a downsize in tyre to allow a narrower winter tyre to be used with a snowchain too. My Audi A6 uses 205/55/16 summers and i have used the same size for winters too...no other reason that the fact that I use the winters in the uk from Nov to March and I wanted the same contact patch for normal road driving in wet/greasy weather in the UK. Had no worries in the french alps in jan last year with 40-50cm fresh snow and didn;t need to resort to using chains. I had to buy a low-profile wiessenfel chain (9mm) to clear the steering arm.

Just FYI - If you are going to buy winters from Protyre, call ahead, when i enquired last season they only had one or two brands and only a few sizes and couldnt source any Pirelli's which were what i was looking to replace.

I opted for a Nokian WR (found the UK importer and sourced direct) instead which is an all weather tyre with the M&S marking. Fantastic grip in all winter conditions and 5000miles of use last winter and i noticed on the tread wear indicator when i put them on again yesterday for this winter that they still have 8mm on them snowHead
HTH
David
snow conditions
DB - no - 205////65///15
ski holidays
Skinutter - good point on disc size - that may well knacker my cunning plan!! - Re protyre, all the UK suppliers seem to look like you as if you are an alien when you ask for winter tyres - it seems like the german online suppliers are a better bet.
snow conditions
yep kind of goes against the grain when i keep seeing winter tyres being pushed in the UK...until you ask someone about them and as you say you get the duh? question.

I would imagine if you are on 18inch alloys then your brake disc will be 300mm+ in diatemeter, i know on my audi S2 I upgraded from 278mm to 323mm and the porsche calipers i upgraded them to meant that the stock 16inxh rim wouldn't fit either in depth or width. Having said all that they certainly now haul up bl**dy quick and didnt fade in 6 laps round the nurburgring in october....awesome Laughing snowHead Twisted Evil
snow report
Yep - just measured, and only about 22mm clearance on the caliper - will probably get away with 17" but no smaller - Anyone want to buy some 15" rover wheels!!
ski holidays
ebay them Twisted Evil check the pcd & offset against other manufacturers, and list them to get as wide an audience as poss! Good luck
snow report
DB he say
Quote:

The overall radius of wheel and tyre should be very similar but the wheel and tyre size can be very different.

But that doesn't contradict what I said.

then DB he say
Quote:

It looks like you would have to put the same size winter tyres on your alloys..... Check with MG/Rover.

Which, I think, is what I said! NehNeh
ski holidays
the ice perv,

Yes we agreed on the wheel diameter but not on the tyre width. Actually the best solution (if Martin is prepared to pay ca 600 - 1000 GBP, perhaps more) is to put 17" wheels with a narrower tyre which I think is what I said. NehNeh

It's normal to be able to go down one one wheel size from the normal wheel size but no more. I knew it wasn't just about kerb weight and skinutter nailed it with the brake issue. Certain cars (typically larger cars with high performance brakes) should only have alloys as they need stronger wheels http://www.difflock.com/offroad/steel_v_alloy.shtml I suspect Martins Rover might be one of them.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 20-11-07 20:51; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Had some wheels with snow tyres from my previous car, my new car (new model) has larger brake calipers so wheels didn't fit, just bought some alloy wheels off eBay....seller was selling his original wheels, same as mine (with run flat tyres included!) as he'd just upgraded them.....3 months old......£77.....Bargain!!! Bought some snow tyres from mytyres.com, at least half the price of the same make elsewhere...not yet delivered, but should arrive later this week Very Happy . Can now re-sell the run-flats on eBay too Very Happy .
snow report
Thanks for all the help guys - as DB says, the plan has now changed to 17" alloys with 215 0r 225/50/17 tyres - unfortunatley, that turns a £400 project into more like £850, even scourcing the wheels on ebay (using Michelen PA3s from mytyres) - Time for some serious thinking - is it worth that expense for a couple of weeks a year?
snow conditions
martinperry,

If you had something like a passat, mondeo etc it would be a doddle to get winter tyres and wheels. It's unlikely you would be able to sell rover wheels on as the demand/market for Rover/MG winter tyres won't be as big as the usual central european car makes. When you weigh up how long you are likely to keep the car, how much flights and rental cars cost - it probably doesn't stack up too well. Could of been worse you might be selling 15" rims and new winter tyres.
snow conditions
krunchie63, Vredestein didn't come out all that well in the TCS tests http://www.tcs.ch/main/fr/home/auto_moto/tests/reifen.html you need to download the reports.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy