Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much have you learned by reading, here or elsewhere?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
comprex, in another thread Newskier talks about training on a wobble board and realising that she is standing on a "hill" when she is going side to side.... Earlier she spoke about a lightbulb moment on a train ride...

For my money it is these connections that the online stuff helps us to make....
It lets your brain be thinking about "how to ski" even when you are not skiing...
This then helps to let your brain make the connections between small pieces of movement stuff that you do in everyday life, and the ones you may need to ski...

In my experience when you are trying to learn to do a movement you have never done before and cannot relate to it at all this is what you need.

These little connections help your brain start to "context" what it is trying to achieve...

Then when you can get on snow all of a sudden you will get those "ahhhhhaaaaa" bits where you can now start to feel what you are trying to do

Often when we read things in forums etc we cannot connect to them initially because we have no "feeling" to relate to. However if we keep open minds the information is still being processed...

When we then get on snow we start to feel the movements we are wanting to use and the writing becomes easier to relate to and understand...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

How are you for tip rolls?

whats a tip roll?

I kinda agree with little tiger, it isnt so much for me the detailed descriptions but rather the connections made when stopping to think things through that have given me the odd light bulb moment or thought that a certain method or idea could help me fix specific problems.

I then like a bullet point, excercise or idea to be distilled into a tip...

dive into the pool, keep your thighs high, inner hand goes around the corner first, squeeze your bum cheeks, stand on the ski, etc.....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Things that have genuinely helped in writing (i.e., I've read them, it made sense, I went and tried it, it really worked):

1. progressively relaxing the old outside leg to smoothly initiate a turn - before reading about this I used to switch edges much more abrubtly, tending to lose and then have to regain edge grip
2. tipping onto the little toe edge - related to point 1, not as helpful to me but still useful
3. something Fastman wrote about the use of knee angulation versus hip angulation (both having a role, when to use one and when the other)
4. windsceen wiper turns from a book - don't claim to have mastered these to the point I'd feel comfortable using them in a really serious situation but I can sort of do them and I've never even seen them done live
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had tried snowboarding a few years back..Spent my time on my back bottom or knees, crashing every single time (or nearly) I was getting off a lift... Put me off..
Last year, decided to take snowboarding on again as none of the mates travelling with me were skiers.
I found the ABC of snowboarding website, where they describe techniques for beginners etc..

Did not crash once when getting off the lifts, manage to turn very quicky (1st afternoon) and by the 4th day I was starting to link my turns nicely

I now love snowboarding and it's a big thumbs up for learning by reading! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy