Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

les gets - lift/mini train arrangements/queues

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
thinking of les gets in late jan. would welcome advice/opinions/experience of the following please :

1) location of chalet means that i might need to walk to mont chery lift area then get the train if i want to get the chavannes lifts. how much of a pain will this be..will i be waiting ages for the train, does it get full, is there more than one train, how far to wlak to chavannes if i cant be bothered to wait ?

2) whilst early indications are good on the snow front can it be a risk going to somewhere so low ??

3) does anyone know the location of the kids lessons and what is the contingency if the snow is not so good

4) is is feasible to get over to chatel and back or is it simply too far. we are pretty competent skiers and like high mileage treks.

thanks for your opinions
jonathan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
backhojo - there are no guarantees, but you should be fine at the end of January.

Height isn't everything - Les Gets opened this weekend - before Avoriaz. Primarily because you need less snow to cover grass than you need to cover rock.

There are nursery slopes next to the Marie (at 1100m) and also at the top of the "red egg" (at 1500m ish). There is also the "children's village", which is above the red egg.

Chatel is feasible. Hopefully, others will correct me if I'm out on this, but I reckon that you're looking at around 2 hours each way from Les Gets to Chatel village and back (including the bus from Linga to Chatel village). It's worth checking, if the chalet does a drop-off / collect at Ardent (many chalets do) - which will save you a good hour and a quarter off that.

There is a good, regular bus service from Morzine to Les Gets (I think it's 1 euro) that will get you back if you back to Les Gets if you just miss the last lifts. Do check lift closing times though. There are a couple of places on the way back that you can get stranded if you misjudge the lifts.

I can't comment on the train as I've never taken it, but the walk doesn't sound ideal. If, however, they have a mini-bus it'll be fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dont think there will be any mini buses as we are looking at going with esprit. i know its not everyone's choice but the whole package worked well for us last year so we want to try it again (unless someone convinces me there is a better and cheaper alternative !!). thanks
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1) 5 mins walk, or ski on the 'white path' if it's snowy enough in town. Half of the village is (mostly) closed to traffic on some days.

2) risk - maybe, but with a contingency which is a 5-10min bus or minibus ride away on the same lift pass. If les gets is shut, then bus to Morzine (there'll be extra ones laid on), or persuade chalet owners to minibus you to Ardent bubble. Both give direct access into Avoriaz sector.

3) probably by chavannes bubble/chair would be a guess.

4) I've skiied the PdS loop 3x (goes via Chatel), but that really needs to start/end in Avoriaz/Ardent. I've also skiied Les Gets to Champoussin for Lunch and back. I would consider Les Gets to Linga and back, but probably not the main part of Chatel.
For Chatel, I'd recommend starting from Ardent or Super Morzine. The bus between Linga and Chatel has always been like sardines each time I've been. The important thing is getting back at least to the Avoriaz before the lifts shut, since you can at least get back to Les Gets by bus.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i am also considering arc 2000 which is a totally different ball game......direct access to slopes and fairly good chance of decent snow but concerned about 2000m with an 18month old. also it could be a lot colder for the 4 year old's lessons. 2000m up in the morning can be chilly !!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
backhojo, les Gets is perfect for young children. The walk from Mont Chery lift to bottom of Chavannes is only a few mins. We stay near the Mont Chery lift station and have only taken the train once when youngest was tired and crabby and it was a good diversion! The train runs every 15 mins or so at peak times and there is a 'stop' by Chavannes Express and further along near the ESF HQ. As above, would recommend getting to Morzine before embarking on Chatel excursion. Whereabouts is accommodation?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
backhojo, I've stayed in Chatel and skied across to Les Gets and beyond to have lunch on the back side of Mont Chery, and then gone back in the afternoon - so it is doable, but don't hang around too much as it is a long trek!

There is a proper mountain restuarant about two-thirds down the face of Mont Chery away from Les Gets that does terrific food, well worh searching out.

My route was bus from Chatel centre to Linga, up to Avoriaz and onward to Les Gets via Super Morzine. I came back along the Swiss side which was OK, but watch out for Morgins (I think) where the runs on the two sides of town don't join up and it's a 10 to 15 minute walk between the two. From there it's easy to get up to the runs above Chatel (Super Chatel?) and ski down into town from where it's a 100 metre walk from the bottom of the Chatel bubble to the bus station.

The Little Train in Les Gets is fine, I've used it quite a few times when staying in Morzine. Generally everyone in the queue fits on board. I recall that they run about every 10 minutes. Walking between the two sides will take you about 10 minutes. Don't forget that the stop for an hour or so for lunch, so time your movements around that, or walk.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
backhojo, there's also a green path that takes you from half way down the Linga directly to Chatel town. It should be fine in late Jan, unless it's like last year of course. You'll need to bus back from chatel to Plain Dranse though. I think PhillipStanton's estimate is very realistic which will mean you'll have time for that three hour lunch.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zzz wrote:
...there's also a green path that takes you from half way down the Linga directly to Chatel town...

Puzzled

...and once again, I learn something new. Stone me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lou wrote:
backhojo, . Whereabouts is accommodation?

le pontets....http://www.lesgets.com/fileadmin/template/images/PlansVillageGets.pdf square B4
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
backhojo, from there you are looking at about 10min walk (on flat) with kids. Have stayed very near there when with friends. You would be near the bus stop en route to Morzine. As above, the childrens lessons will be based on Chavannes side. Mont Chery is on your doorstop which has a couple of good restaurants and the runs are lovely and quiet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy