Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freerando ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'd like to delve into the wisdom and knowledge of fellow snowheads for recommendations for a 'freerando' ski. The ideal ski when searching for hidden stashes of powder which may involve a few hours uphill work before the fun begins. A ski that is not too heavy so skinning up becomes a slog but not as light weight as a dedicated touring ski with the obvious compromises to downhill performance. My vital stats are 178cm tall, 76KG, reasonably accomplished off-piste skier, more old skool than new but not such an old dog that I can't learn a new trick or two.

Thanks,

Hank.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My two-pen'rth...
My size & weight sound similar (I'm maybe a bit more lardy wink ) - pretty good off-piste + do a fair amount of touring on both AT and free-heel kit

I've gone for some Hagan Freerides this year - they are essentially similar to Rossi-Bandit B78 / K2 World Piste, but considerably lighter.

The previous link is for this year's model at the Hagan site called the Freeride Unicorn, which are last year's Hagan Freeride Heat (the one's I've got) with a different graphic - Braemar Mountain Sports have the Heats in their pre-season sale for £190 (about half the price of the current Bandit B78), and recommend them highly - from the Braemar catalogue...
Quote:

Featuring new graphics, the Unicorn is a rename for the superb Freeride Heat from last season, one of our most popular skis...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 18-11-07 21:27; edited 11 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hank, ... welcome to snowheads ... snowHead

At the end of last season I picked up a pair of new Head Monster IM88's (old graphics) fitted with Fritchi freeride Plus - more as a rock-hopper, but they turned out to be a really great ski and worthy of a look. VERY reasonable too .... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Movement red apple 74 with fritchi freeride is my set up, if I lost them, I would buy the same again.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zag Big 84 (134-84-114) at 178cm with Fritschi Freeride Plus bindings.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not to get too fat if you want to get uphill, I'd say the Head M82 and Movement Spark and Thunders should be worthy of consideration.
Light but very good all round performance.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the suggestions so far. My initial thoughts were for something with around 90mm underfoot so BernardC's and JT's recommendations fall into that category. What other skis in this class would fellow snowheads recommend I consider. My criteria is one of the lighter skis in this class. Something suitable for short tours and also for someone like myself who is not an overly aggressive skier.

Cheers all.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, could you make a quick comparison between the Spark and th IM82? I've skied and lked the Spark A lot, been wondering about the Head/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy