Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pros and Cons of Buying on Ebay

Poster: A snowHead
Right - part time skiers are back on piste and the wet suits have been put away for another year!

So I was wondering - looking for some gear to buy this year, boots, poles and skis for a motley crew of a family. 7 year old, 15 year old and 18 year old as well as a fat bloke who still thinks he's cool. What do you think are the pros and cons of buing off Ebay??

Do you think it makes for pain or gain?

Boyo
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pro's, cheap price. Con's, do really know what you need, how will you know?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boyo, if you buy the boots how will you know if they fit. I have bought a pair of unworn boots from ebay before. I even had a similar pair in the same size, and guess what , they did not fit me. I put them back on ebay after a ruined holiday. So pain, not gain would be my answer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup - that's what's putting me off. I know my size, Salomon boot etc. fom my previous rental?

Anybody had really good bad experiences? Anybody had real savings?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got skis for my 5 year old and for my 8year old. The ones I got for my five year old were new, cheap and at his age perfectly adequate. Well chuffed.
Had more trouble getting skis for the older one, there didn't seem to be many of the right length so I got some from an ebay shop which weren't quite such a bargain but still cheaper than I would have paid in Tiso or S&R
Boots - I didn't chance it, I bought them at a local store so that they could try them on first.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Like everything on ebay, check the seller's history and if you do decide to buy skis and/or boots, watch out for the high postage on these items. I've seen what look like decent kids boots sell for £10 plus £10 postage (which is more or less Royal Mail's Standard Parcels rate). If possible, see if you can collect these items and save yourself a fair amount of dosh.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pros - Cheap. I bought a brand new pair of 06/07 Volkl Karmas for £125. Cheapest I'd been offered before that was £240.
Cons - As others have pointed out, you kinda don't know what your buying. I got a brand new pair of Raichle Flexon boots for my girlfriend for £30 but unfortunately they don't fit, even though they are the correct mondo. Gutted. You takes yer chances, basically.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't even buy shoes on the internet, let alone ski boots.

Skis is a different story. Provided you do know exactly what you want, or don't particularly care as long as they're not snowboards Wink , you could get some nice deals on eBay.

Of course the "usual" caution will have to be applied, once you decide on a specific item.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dirty.hands, Nothing lost on the Flexon, it can be made to fit. See CEM.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bought some lovely Volant skis for £65 and a pair of boots for £80. Both have been great - had then for 3 years and used for about a month every season. My husband bought three pairs of boots each one being put back on ebay as they didn't fit and sold for the sameish price He ended up buying brand new skis and boots. I've been lucky but I think you have to be willing to lose the money if things aren't right in the hope you find a bargain.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i agree with abc ebay is ideal for skis if you know what you want or dont mind giving some a go and re-selling if you dont like them

just got myself a pair Fischer AMC76, 2007/8 model at less than half the RRP Very Happy, only 4 weeks until i can use them in Val Thorens Smile Smile Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The other way to get the cheap price from ebay and boots which will fit you is to go and try some at your local S&R or ski shop. Thats what i've done - went there -choose the boots which fit me perfect and purchase them from Ebay shop. the boots are Tecnica hotforms retail at 350-360 in UK ,i paid just over £210. thats a good £150 which will go towards insoles,hotforming,pair of poles and if any left few crates of beer Very Happy Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just bought pair of new adidas sunglasses £60 no
problems, cheapest elsewhere on the interweb £90, result.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok - seems that there are clear winners and losers out there and a bunch of people not prepared to take the chance - which also seems like sense. I like the idea of trying retails and then buying - not the most ethical thing perhaps but I'm not sure if the international ski inductry needs my £200 or so to keep it a float. Think I might look out for last seasons bargains from one of the stores - but some of the used boots do look tempting - they can't be much worse than the rental stuff can they?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
charlatankfc buys on ebay and he is definitely a con Very Happy
latest report
boyo wrote:
Ok - seems that there are clear winners and losers out there and a bunch of people not prepared to take the chance - which also seems like sense. I like the idea of trying retails and then buying - not the most ethical thing perhaps but I'm not sure if the international ski inductry needs my £200 or so to keep it a float. Think I might look out for last seasons bargains from one of the stores - but some of the used boots do look tempting - they can't be much worse than the rental stuff can they?

Ethical or not is for others to debate.

My experience is you could do worse than the hired boots. Boot liners have a way of "packing out"... So, what fits brand new in a shop may not fit the same as the used one you scored from eBay.

Skis, on the other hand, doesn't degrade as quickly as boots...
snow report
Bought my first pair of Movement's on ebay. Got a set of Sparks new and unskiied for £100. Bought a set of Salomon 912's (new) the next day for £40.

Found the same pair in St. Anton for €480 (with better bindings, but still).

Bargain!

I've managed to buy and sell from my first bass guitar (£100) up to buying (and recently selling) a Warwick worth £1200 new. Recently sold it on for £200 more than I bought it for.

If you're sensible and have some common sense, you can't beat ebay. In my opinion.

Saying that, I'd never buy boots on ebay. Or shoes, or anything that requires a personal fit.
snow conditions
Quote:

Saying that, I'd never buy boots on ebay. Or shoes, or anything that requires a personal fit.

I occasionally wonder about the expression of "pain in the neck" or "pain in the @rss". I think pain in the feet with ill-fitting shoes ranks right up there! Sad
ski holidays
Hi

I purchased a pair of Salomon Crossmax V12's on Ebay for £250.00. Fine to use Ebay but make sure you know exactly what you want. I would avoid buying boots from anywhere other than a very good ski shop as they can really ruin a holiday if they don't fit properly. What might seem like a bargain could prove to be a costly mistake. Other than that shop away and I hope you find some bargains !! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy