Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help needed to find accommodation in Austria for week in February

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm after some advise. Basically booked a cheap Ryan Air flight out to Salzburg going out Wed 6th Feb returning Wed 13th Feb - we are hoping to get a week skiing ideally around the Kitzbuhel area - but we're flexible. Not skiied in Austria before - Normally go to the States - but can't afford it this year.

Problem is - all the accommodation I have looked at in February is only bookable from a Saturday to Saturday basis. I have used all the usual search engines and contacted a load of hotels directly and been given the same answers. Most places can offer me a room Saturday to Saturday but not Wed - Wed????

Has anyone else found this a problem? Know of any places I could try? My husband is a very good skiier so we want to go to a resort which will be challenging enough for him, I'm just normal intermediate - so I'm happy anywhere really. We would consider hiring a car and travelling if we could find a decent place to stay that is close enough to some good slopes.

Any suggestions - we would look at B&B, apartments or hotels! hope someone can help.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lkmiller79, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

The dates concerned coincide with one of the UK 1/2 term holidays, which is one reason why you may struggle to get somewhere midweek. You may find that nearer the time places will become more flexible, but then you probably don't wan to play a waiting game.

It may be worth looking for something outside of a ski resort, and look to travel in each day. Somewhere like Innsbruck may be a possibility?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lkmiller79,
Welcome to snowHead 's
Not only does time party coincide with UK half term, the first half coincides with Fasching accommodation will book out quickly. I can't offer specific help but have you tried contacting the tourist offices directly. Most tourist offices will take your request and put it out to all the landlords and hoteliers in the surrounding area and some will get back to you. My guess is that you may have to travel in and out of the resort a bit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lkmiller79, Just be persistent and be prepared to look around. You should find places. One thing you'll find is that hoteliers won't be very keen to take midweek bookings at this stage (there life is a lot easier if they fill up on sat->sat bookings). If you wait till nearer the time you may well do better (e.g. 4 weeks before hand they'll then take any booking they can if they have empty rooms.
Given the timing ... you may need to consider some smaller resorts, or consider hiring a car and staying in a nearby village rather than the main resort.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
try tiscover accommodation booking site

alternatively email the tourist office in the places you are interested in going, they'll circulate local hotels, etc. who will email you an offer direct - I've had some really good deals with this
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lkmiller79, good luck. We are away Sat 26th Jan - Tues 5th Feb, had no problems getting accommodation for the 1st week, but trying to find anywhere for the 2nd part was a nightmare. As Elizabeth B, said, usually they free up what they have a week or so b4 for anything other than Sat-Sat, but the fact that it's Fasching week, I think you'll struggle.

Good luck anyway
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have to agree to Elizabeth B, most places will hold out for full weeks until about a month before. I was booked for this period but had a cancellation last week. rolling eyes I'm expecting to fill the week without too much of a problem though.

I know people from England get fleeced by the low cost airlines for flying a saturday just because they know that's changeover day. The attaction of flying mid week can be a bit misleading. That said, last year I had some guests who paid for 2 weeks and came Wed to Wed. It was cheaper for them to rent the apartment for 2 weeks and fly Wed than going Sat to Sat, paying for 1 week and the high cost weekend flight. Crazy!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lkmiller79, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
As AlpineWalker suggests, the tiscover website is the best place to look. I see it lists quite a few possibilities for your chosen dates Very Happy .

One of them is the Otzmooshof in St Johann im Pongau. I had an Easter break two years ago staying there, friendly owners and good cuisine, including local specialities. St Johann im Pongau (not to be confused with St Johann in Tirol) is part of the Ski Amade region, and is easily reached by train from Salzburg - in fact the Otzmooshof owners collected me from St Johann station once I telephoned them that I'd arrived! Madeye-Smiley. They also usually gave me a lift down to the Alpendorf gondola in the morning!

P.S The Ski Amade region has had large early dumps of snow already, obviously no guarantee of what conditions will be like in February, but at least it helps to establish a good base!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lkmiller79, hvae a look at www.skiamade.com there is an accommodation enquiry section on there - you should find something.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lkmiller79,
Hi,
Check out www.chalethepi.co.uk
It is in a nice "undiscovered" ski region in Austria.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks very much to everyone that has offered advise - I will look into what you have all suggested. Cheers!!! Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy