Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telegraph deals

Poster: A snowHead
Saw in the newsagent that the Telegraph in conjunction with Nielsons are offering cut price holidays if you collect vouchers. Don't know how good the deals are but they include the xmas new year breaks so may be helpful.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But that no doubt does involve buying the Torygraph. Is a deal on a Nielsons holiday worth that? Oh well, at least it's not quite the Daily Hate.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamN,
I buy my papers for their sports coverage not their political news and views anyway. Embarassed Though not usually the telegraph.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"But that no doubt does involve buying the Torygraph. Is a deal on a Nielsons holiday worth that?"

I guess that depends on whether one is so daft so as to put an paper's editorial stance before a good deal!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN wrote:
But that no doubt does involve buying the Torygraph. Is a deal on a Nielsons holiday worth that? Oh well, at least it's not quite the Daily Hate.

I hear there's a free lentil voucher coming with this Wednesday's Guardian. It won't be long before the long-haired hippies are calling for an end to skiing because of its "carbon footprint".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar, I'd rather pay full price for a Neilsons holiday than lower myself to the levels of the daily Telegraph readers! Sorry in advance!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Telegraph readers!

You dont have to read it - just cut out a little piece of it -then throw it away (I mean recycle it)!

PS Is there any chance of the sun running a similar offer - i love butlins an all but its time for a change wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'd rather pay full price for a Neilsons holiday than lower myself to the levels of the daily Telegraph readers! Sorry in advance!!

What a strange post! Pay the full price then.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
...and I've got this image of Rossfra8 sitting on a plane and the guy next to him saying "Hey! I got a cheap holiday just by buying the Telegraph" and Ross replying "I refuse to buy The Telegraph and I 'm happy I paid full price on a matter of principle" and the whole plane saluting Ross with the Nescafe handshake!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does the old excuse 'I only buy it for the sport.' no longer work ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN wrote:

LOL, wouldn't normally buy the Torygraph (and love to loathe the Daily Hate) but if it's a decent deal I don't see why not to be honest, after all it's not gonna make me a rabid rightwinger Very Happy
magriggs wrote:
I hear there's a free lentil voucher coming with this Wednesday's Guardian. It won't be long before the long-haired hippies are calling for an end to skiing because of its "carbon footprint".

Oooh the stereotyping, LOL...

Actually one of the more accurate articles I've read about skiing in the papers over the last couple of months was in a recent copy of the Grauniad, or was it the Observer NehNeh
Rossfra8 wrote:
T Bar, I'd rather pay full price for a Neilsons holiday than lower myself to the levels of the daily Telegraph readers! Sorry in advance!!

Up to you but isn't it rather cutting of your nose to spite your face?

After all buying it to cut out a coupon is hardly going to turn you into a miserable old right-wing blue rinsed 'angry' from whichever area of the home counties they purport to speak for these days... unless of course you already are one and you're being ironic Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All the so-called 'right wing' newspapers are pretty soft on crime.

You have to look abroad to find anybody with a bit of sense. I was pretty impressed with recent reports on the Saudi executioner. Take 'apostasy' out of their list of capital crimes and he could do a great job in the UK.

We could also do with someone to torture Peter Tobin for a while, before he finally gets his head lopped off.

After he gets a fair trial of course.

What the country could do with is a sort of Howard League for Penal Reform - only in reverse.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roga, I read the Independant.... feel free to have a dig! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rossfra8, I stopped reading the "Independant" when they changed the font..it's hideous!! Sad, but true! One of the papers where the newsprint doesn;t come off on one's hands...unlike the Times!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latchigo wrote:
You have to look abroad to find anybody with a bit of sense. I was pretty impressed with recent reports on the Saudi executioner. Take 'apostasy' out of their list of capital crimes and he could do a great job in the UK.

Yup, there's a few princesses (and princes) he could start with right away NehNeh
Rossfra8 wrote:
roga, I read the Independant.... feel free to have a dig! Very Happy

LOL, I've done that have I not Wink
ski holidays
It is a great paper though! Yeh I fell asleep on a Times, woke up with a story about Peter Tobin^^ printed on my face. Nice.
latest report
^ it was the laziness and inaccuracy of 'that' piece on Scotland that bugged me nothing else, albeit that they culled it from SOS who IMHO are the real villains given they should know better and this isn't the first time they've published such tosh (or been reported to the PCC for doing so).

I liked the Indy's war coverage (if "liked" isn't a contradiction in terms in that context!), but then I would 'coz I agreed with their stance!
ski holidays
Plus it's an English paper, I mean i loathe the coverage of the SPL being a Celtic season ticket holder, but it isn't full of stories such as Mavis from Linlithgow having her double glazing repaired as a goodwill gesture by the local (Malcolm) Glazer
ski holidays
 brian
brian
awksquawk wrote:
I stopped reading the "Independant" when they changed the font..

I stopped when they changed the spelling. wink

Rossfra8, st at parkhead to see ra sellick. See ? I was bang on the money with the shellsuit'n'buckie ! Laughing
snow report
brian, No. Not quite. We live in Helensburgh! I've told you this before. Edinburgh, hmm, Sighthill?
latest report
eh ? lots of reasonably affluent people with clear upward middle class etcs - well, to go skiing, anyway......... and they're all slating a newspaper that reflects both the profile and the ideals - well, the ideal of skiing, anyway
Or is everyone here a Grauniad reader who's self-blessedness overcomes the hypocrisy of being both left-of-centre and then flying round the world to partake in ecological destruction by paying people to plant lumps of concrete all over the lanscape so they can slide down it ?

hmm.. just had an idea to clear slope-clutter - as people arrive at check-in simply ask them what newpaper they usually read, and if its anything with a centre-left or eco-bias, ban them from boarding the plane ! more space on the slopes ! nice one !

LoL NehNeh
snow conditions
Quote:

and they're all slating a newspaper

Please, not all of us!
ski holidays
Rossfra8 wrote:
Plus it's an English paper, I mean i loathe the coverage of the SPL being a Celtic season ticket holder, but it isn't full of stories such as Mavis from Linlithgow having her double glazing repaired as a goodwill gesture by the local (Malcolm) Glazer

Yeah I used to loathe that kind of insular tosh befgore I moved to England... now I'm nostalgic for it Wink
austin7 wrote:
and they're all slating a newspaper that reflects both the profile and the ideals - well, the ideal of skiing, anyway

So what exactly is the "profile and ideal of skiing" in your opinion 'coz you've lost me on that one... haven't seen many retired colonels whizzing down the slopes in France, Scotland or the USA recently screaming "hang em, flog em" at the top of their voices Shocked rolling eyes

Mind you, being a Scot I do naturally avoid braying upper class English accents so might be missing all the toff action on the piste NehNeh
Quote:
hmm.. just had an idea to clear slope-clutter - as people arrive at check-in simply ask them what newpaper they usually read, and if its anything with a centre-left or eco-bias, ban them from boarding the plane ! more space on the slopes ! nice one !

Yup, seems it'd clear a good few of us away... then we could all get together, eat lentils and plot the overthrow of capitalism whilst the the Telegraph and daily Mail readers were off on the slopes... or would that just be silly? rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
roga wrote:
austin7 wrote:
and they're all slating a newspaper that reflects both the profile and the ideals - well, the ideal of skiing, anyway

So what exactly is the "profile and ideal of skiing" in your opinion 'coz you've lost me on that one...

Quote:

Yup, seems it'd clear a good few of us away... then we could all get together, eat lentils and plot the overthrow of capitalism whilst the the Telegraph and daily Mail readers were off on the slopes... or would that just be silly? rolling eyes Laughing

1st bit - target demographic of DT is - apart from the stereotype - that of younger, reasonably affluent people. ie. exactly the kind that might well go skiing. So it reflects the profile. Re. ideal...... going skiing is an ideal, and its certainly relfecting that by frequent skiing supplements, holiday voucher offers etc etc...

Second bit ? well, if it reduces the lift queues.... how about DT and Mail readers go to the Alps, cos that's pretty impressive, manly, right-wing type scenery, and all the Grauniad and Observer readers get shunted off to Andorra, on the grounds there's lots of fluffy goats and stuff there.... oh hold on, that's AnGora.. oh well, never mind, send them there instead Laughing Laughing Laughing NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
I fail to see why any Daily Mail reader would go to the Alps - there are foreignors there! They might catch something off them or have the chalet stolen from under their feet... Shocked

There are only two papers worth reading, the Telegraph and the Times.
snow report
skisimon wrote:
There are only two papers worth reading, the Telegraph and the Times.

Do you mean reading - or paying for ?

I suppose your statement holds true if you are happy to restrict your propaganda to Rupert Murdoch or the Barclay brothers and their lackeys.

With tinternet there is no need to limit yourself.
ski holidays
austin7 wrote:
1st bit - target demographic of DT is - apart from the stereotype - that of younger, reasonably affluent people. ie. exactly the kind that might well go skiing. So it reflects the profile.

Yeah but by all accounts they aren't that good at hitting any target demographic at the moment - shaaaame Laughing

Anyway, it may come as a surprise to you that all broadsheets (or whatever passes as such these days) target themselves at the young and affluent - there are however different categories of young and affluent and of course many don't have politics that make Ghengis Khan look like a wooly liberal Shocked

However, that fact may be beyond the wit of the Torygraph and their current readers - I just love the way right-wingers find it difficult to conceive that anyone but themslelves has reasonable politics, whereas everyone else (that being the majority of the population) thinks they're a bunch of superannuated old nit wits (probably as a result of seeing clips from Tory conferences on telly) - I of course believe they're just a bunch of old (and a few young) loonies but that's reasonable 'coz I'm saying it Razz Razz
Quote:
Re. ideal...... going skiing is an ideal, and its certainly reflecting that by frequent skiing supplements, holiday voucher offers etc etc...

Oh well I have a month or so of "ideal" a year and I'm not even a Torygraph reader - how odd Puzzled NehNeh

Anyway, if there is that much about skiing in the paper I do wish you Torygraph lot (all one or two of you) would just ;let us know when the useful stuff is in the paper and stop pontificating NehNeh
Quote:
Second bit ? well, if it reduces the lift queues.... how about DT and Mail readers go to the Alps, cos that's pretty impressive, manly, right-wing type scenery, and all the Grauniad and Observer readers get shunted off to Andorra, on the grounds there's lots of fluffy goats and stuff there.... oh hold on, that's AnGora.. oh well, never mind, send them there instead Laughing Laughing Laughing NehNeh NehNeh

Oh, very good wink Laughing
snow report
skisimon wrote:
I fail to see why any Daily Mail reader would go to the Alps - there are foreignors there! They might catch something off them or have the chalet stolen from under their feet... Shocked

That is actually a good point, my in-laws are DM readers and I recognise what you describe there... Shocked
Latchigo wrote:
Do you mean reading - or paying for ?

I suppose your statement holds true if you are happy to restrict your propaganda to Rupert Murdoch or the Barclay brothers and their lackeys.

With tinternet there is no need to limit yourself.

Ah but some people feel more comfortable reading propaganda, oops sorry sports news from their own side Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

This all depends if you have the intelligence to read an editorial with an open mind. The Times, Telegraph, Guardian etc...all have their political leanings in their editorials but the actual news is reported, generally, in an unbiased fashion. That's why they are called Quality Papers! I have to disagree with the notion of The Telegraph as a "hang 'em and flog 'em" paper. The Mail and Express certainly but not the Telegraph.
latest report
awksquawk, Every paper has a bias and it is not simply confined to the editorial.

There is a bias in what is included or omitted. It is there before they even get round to putting words on a page.

Anyway, with all the free papers people(or Londoners at least ) are getting the Daily Mail or Rupert Murdoch outlook whether or not they pay for a paper - unless they avoid reading the freesheets of course.
snow conditions
I would agree that there was a time when the Telegraph scrupulously kept reporting and opinion separate. No more. I stopped buying it when they were more and more making assumptions about the opinions of their readers in their reporting (and I mean reporting, not editorials). I finally lost patience with it over the Columbine massacre ("Internet nerds attack classmates" (or something along those lines) made me realise I was actually reading highly biased, rectionary brain-rot that assumed thier readers were ancient xenophobic technophobes. I am only the first of those. I also reacted badly to "The legislation goes back to the days when we had servants.." (For "had" substitute "were" in my family's case.)

I find the Times much more wide-ranging in its views, and you even get the odd anti-royal rant, which as a Republican I enjoy. The trouble with the Telegraph is that it contantly drip-feeds the same backward-looking anti-young propaganda. I used to find it funny, but it is brain-rot.

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
I find the Times much more wide-ranging in its views, and you even get the odd anti-royal rant, which as a Republican I enjoy.

Murdoch of course is no fan of the Royals...
Quote:
The trouble with the Telegraph is that it contantly drip-feeds the same backward-looking anti-young propaganda. I used to find it funny, but it is brain-rot.

This is actually a point many former Telegraph people make when talking about the decline of their old newspaper, it's a widely accepted POV across much of the industry as far as I know.

So it's not just us 'loony' lefties that find the current Torygraph rather more a rag than a 'quality' Toofy Grin
ski holidays
'Telegraph' always had great coverage of the more salacious court cases in addition to the sport.

'Financial Times' and 'Sun' are for people on the first train out in the morning. 'Guardian' is bought by soap-dodgers and beardies who get on after 9:30.
ski holidays
so are the deals any good then Puzzled
snow report
obviously if I did buy a telegraph to have a look at said deal, I'd have to conceal it inside a porn mag to avoid embarrasment when making way to check out Very Happy
snow conditions
Interesting to see how principled people are in their reading habits. As a matter of interest does no-one buy newspapers partly to challenge their viewpoints rather than to confirm them?
snow report
T Bar, Less newspapers are being bought these days. Even the currant bun has had to reduce its price recently and put its own vendors on the streets of London; though it puzzles me who would still want to buy a daily newspaper at midday.
snow conditions
davejsy, as an interesting aside, I once used the Times (when it was still a 'proper' broadsheet) to nick a porn mag. I was an impressionable 13 year old (as opposed to an impressionable 20 year old... as I am now). Big papers, with inserts, are good for sneaking magazines out of newsagents. The counter lady commented on its thickness, quick as ever, I suggested that there was a TV listings insert or something... rolling eyes
snow report
I trust it was a legendary grotmag like Razzle.
ski holidays
Quote:
awksquawk, Every paper has a bias and it is not simply confined to the editorial.

That may well be true but less so with some than with others. It is up to the intelligence of the reader to understand that and factor it into their thinking. For example, I am quite capable of reading the Daily Mail without changing my opposition to the death penalty or The Guardian without altering my opinion that we need a smaller State not a bigger one!

(FYI...I'm actually a Times reader for the record)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy