Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

schladming snow report

Poster: A snowHead
waynos, You are the man. Keep it coming.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds excellent, just finishing off packing and will be on my way tomorrow after work, can't wait Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just got back from an excellent 4 days, snowed the first three, sunny yesterday. Anything above the planai mid station was still lovely conditions - below that it's a bit hard. The ski route off the burgstalsomething lift on planai is still in great condition, getting a little chopped up now but soft powder and very nice indeed. Reiteralm and fageralm seemed to have the best snow conditions, but didn't go to either yesterday so it could just have been that it was fresh when we were there.

Anyone heading out in the next few days is in for a great time. I'll post a review of food/runs etc later if I get time later, under resorts.

aj xx
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Finally some fresh snow. Started off as rain late yesterday afternoon but turned to snow eventually even in the valleys. Up early, fed the kid, changed the nappy and run off! Skied Planai today, up the top before 9am. Skiing 10-15cms of fresh on piste. As the piste got skied out headed off the edges, heading into the trees to get some better vis as the light was pretty flat. Stayed high and was skiing untracked lines most the morning. Fantastic! Okay not knee deep Champaign powder but none the less great stuff. The ski down was hard work, just above freezing lower down by midday made the piste hard work, lots of cement like stiff in big clumps, but once bashed down tonight and with a freeze should be good piste conditions tomorrow. More snow forecast through the coming week.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Back yesterday from 4 days in Schladming and enjoyed the new snow on Sunday as shown above Smile

Had been pretty icy on the resort runs on Planai before that, only tried the red rather than black to village and it was v scrapy but anyone there this week will have a great time. Also skied the Dachstein glacier area, over 4 metres of snow as of Friday Very Happy so even more now I imagine. Not a huge number of runs but a really nice red with a decent drop and absolutely fantastic snow, loved it! (though watch out for the two seater chair for the return that tries to take your legs off Shocked). Skied Hochwurzen as well on Sunday lovely higher up, bit slushy down towards Rohrmoos in the afternoon as it warmed up.

Really impressed with the conditions even on the first couple of days, snow higher up really good even with slightly warmer temps. Will post some photos soon.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thursday 17 Feb was a snowy day, though rain in town. Found some powder in amongst the trees of Planai. Snow holding up well lower down, some good new stuff higher up. Friday I skied Obertauern, but much warmer today here in schladming with a very mild weekend forecast, so should be some spring like slush to play with.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi waynos, sounds like you've been doing some time travelling as well as the skiing Toofy Grin

How does Obertauern compare, didn't get there in our brief visit though considering for a future trip

P.S. how do you post photos?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rowlski, Obertauern is pretty different to Schaldming and most other local areas. It's base is around 1700m so pretty much all the skiing is above tree line to a max of 2500 , though most probably lifts peak around 2200m. So the vertical is pretty small, but does get reliable snow and offers above tree line skiing with lots of faces and bowls for off piste. Also pretty unique in that the town is in the centre of a huge bowl and you can ski pretty much all the way around. So on a sunny day you could follow the sun all the around. Only done a couple of days there but well worth a visit. Can bus it from Altenmarkt, about 20mins, 30mins drive from Schaldming. Not covered on ski amade pass but is on salzburg superpass.

Post photos - I upload to a private area I have on another web server and then just add an [img] tag containing the url to the image. I think you can also upload pics directly to snowheads media server, but not done this myself.

A warm spring like day today, the sun broke out this afternoon. Skied at Ramsau today, tried cross country for first time which was real fun and then broke that up with a quick play on the local ski hill. Very pleasant soft spring conditions, ideal for easy carving and playing around off the edges of the piste. Snow holding up well in Schladming, still snow in valley floor, though has thinned in last few days. Still top to bottom skiing. Snow forecast Tuesday, which will make the night slalom interesting.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gone from heavy rain to blizzard down in town. Been snowing from mid mountian all day.

NIGHT RACE - tonight!

People have been getting positions next to track since 2pm - in the driving rain (now heavy snow), first race 6pm.

We're heading off soon, been spotting out the quietest looking bar with the binoculars.

Track is going to be soft to start, but temps have fallen a good few degrees in last couple of hours.

I'm off, should be fun, try and post some photos soon.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Post night race update....PUKING! DUMPING! snowing. Dumped it down during the night race, fantastic event, the town is one big party, but being a responsible dad i'm safely back home thinking about the powder tomorrow. Must have been 10cm in town, since around 6pm, got to be loads more higher up as it started as rain down here this morning. Current temp at top of hill -10.

I think the night race is on ski sunday this week.

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A most excellent powder day. Between 20-30cm at higher levels. Some slopes exposed to the westerly wind were best avoided but that was not a problem. Skied Plainai in the morning and Haus in the afternoon. Seemed to be more fresh in Haus. Finding untracked powder was simple, mostly at the edges of the piste or a deeper trip into several tree routes I'm getting to know. Finding more little off piste areas all the time. Stayed around -10 higher up during the day and clear blue skies by midday - personally my favorite temp.

Top of Planai this morning.

Trees late afternoon at Haus
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After the snow earlier in the week warmed up a little and the sun has been shining. The fresh snow lasted a few days higher up. No freeze last night and very warm here this morning, +6 at mid mountain, overcast and breezy. Forecast is for snow / rain today and into tomorrow with cooling temps and snow to valley by evening. Hard to beleive but conditions were very similar Tuesday and we ended up with a decent dump of snow to valley. Still plenty of snow all the way to town.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
quick update. Said in last post it was breezy, well a few minutes later it was blowing it's nuts off, siwftly followed by a power cut through out town. The golden jet and planai gondolas were stopped, not sure if anyone got on as probably just before opening. Power out for around 90mins. Now looks as if gondolas are closed, I guess due to high wind.

Went outside, very warm even in the strong wind, a little rain here now, can't make out if snow higher up as lots of low cloud blowing through.Checking the webcams looks as if the temp has dropped a few degrees higher up since 7am.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After yesterdays wild wind, rain, snow, & warmth today was much calmer, a quick ski at Haus this morning. A tale of 2 mountains, below 1000m snow has been battered by the wind and rain, but quite dramatically above that a good 30cms of wind compacted fresh snow. I'd guess there must have been 40-50cms of falling snow. The compacted stuff was educational to ski, a couple of pockets in more sheltered areas was quite enjoyable. The piste to the valley still have plenty of base left. Still some wet soggy stuff on valley floor. Slopes from the bottom looking up look worse than they are due to the amount of tree debris mixed in with the snow to give the appearance of mud! More snow forecast wednesday onwards, hopefully to the bottom and without 100mph winds.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How's it looking now, has the warm weather eaten up more of the snow or still staying good?
snow conditions
Rowlski, Not out skiing yesterday, foggy in the valleys so drove up to Ramsau hoping to pop out of the clouds, but was even worse. Stacks of fresh snow at Ramsau (1100m+), stopped at Filzmoos for a coffee, must be 1m+ of snow at village level, a good deal of it fresh from last sunday. So higher up loads of snow, lower down hit a little but still holding up, no sign of piste thinning out. Cold weather around the corner, i'm heading to to UK 6 feb for a few days, so i'm sure a big dump will arive on 6 feb
snow report
Two days til I go to Schladming - I'm praying to the snow demons!!! The variety of weather reports I've looked at generally seem to think there'll be snow next week. Tons of snow always arrives the day before I go home on ski holidays so I'm sure they're about right!
ski holidays
Picadilly, Piste conditions are very good, looks like light snow out the window this morning, but not forecast too much today, Sat still forecast for some heavy snow.
ski holidays
WOO-HOO!! Thanks waynos, you've made my day Very Happy I love arriving at ski resorts when it's snowing snowHead
ski holidays
Snowed quite heavy in Schaldming this morning but only lasted a couple of hours. Probably 5-10cm of fresh, snowed down to valley, already -10 at top so should keep the fresh snow in good condition. Spent the afternoon down the road in Zauchansee - when I left at 3pm at least 20cm of very nice fresh pow - skiing untracked powder in the trees and back bowls with barley another sole in sight - other than my ski buddy who was kind enough to show me the best lines. Needed to avoid slopes exposed to the sun as these had a nasty crust under the fresh. Strangely snowing very heavy when I left, got back to Schladming and looked as if it hadn't snowed since this morning. Just shows how local the mountain weather can be. Calmer day tomorrow forecast and then snow for a couple of days.
snow report
Got back from Schladming at the weekend, had a fabulous week. Snowed all day on Thursday which improved the pistes massively at the top of the mountain (about a foot of new snow), then on Friday it was a perfect day; fresh pisted snow and bright blue skies all day - stunning. Pistes back to resort level suffered from slush/ice in the afternoons for most of the week though. Snow making there is very good.

Liked the resort, would only say that nightlife/apres ski was a bit quiet and there are too many T-bars!!
snow conditions
sunny, again
snow report
hi, on verge of booking a trip to schladming to join up with uncle and cousin's annual trip who will be there 16th til 23rd feb - would the outlook suggest a worthwhile trip??? possibly an option of joining another group instead for 24th feb til 2 march... any suggestions... should I join their annual trip next year????

thanks in advance,

Steffen
ski holidays
Off to Schladming on the 23rd of Feb for a weeks skiing, from some of the posts I've been reading on this forum I seem to have picked the worst week weather-wise, someone pointed out it was probably going to be warm that week, any weather buffs have any more optimistic predictions for the same week? PLEASE SNOW!

Went to the same place last year, on the 12th of Jan and the conditions were pretty abysmal, ended up with wet warm, very windy, unsetteled weather by the end of the week, and patchs in the snow even near the top, conditions are so much better this year, but hoping we don't end up with the rain & slush again.

Cheers Steely
snow report
saf40, and Steely, first off welcome to snowheads. Don't fret snow conditions right now are very good. There's a very decent base, it's been sunny but quite cold for the last week. Piste are in great shape, a little icy at the end of day, especially lower down, but i'm sure that's the same anywhere right now. There is light snow forecast on and off over the next week, maybe rain lower down, but that's not end of the world. From my experience this season from watching the forecast they seem to predict temps higher than what we actually get. Conditions are infinitely better than last season.
snow conditions
Waynos...we are out in schladming from the 8th (don't worry I'm not gonna ask you what the weather will be doing) I think our apartments overlook the town hall square, is this close to the main gondola? I like tree line skiing so will be ok there. Which mountain has the most challenges? Where is the best apres ski? what's that great big new place like at the bottom of Planai...just give us your best tips mate!!!
snow conditions
andyjc, your apartment will be walking (under 5mins) distance of gondola. Most the piste skiing is pretty consistent and summed up as nice carving steepish reds. There is some off-piste around, mainly at the tops of all 4 local hills. The best hill in my opinion is Haus - easy ski from schladming. It's a bit quieter, nice blues for intermediates, some decent above tree level off piste (though limited) and loads of tree skiing - fantastic after a fresh dump. Well worth a visit is Zauchansee - off piste is simply fantastic - but don't tell anyone.

I'm a little rusty on the apres thanks to having a 2 year old to look after. The odd occasion we do get out the new bar (tenne haus) is quite lively but not on say a st anton scale. Generally apres is pleasant, loads of bars, cafes (coffee, cake or equally beer). Up on the hill is uncle willys open late on a wednesday , apparently well worth a visit, and they keep the gondola going til 7:30pm or you ski down. There are a few other spots which open late on the hill, but not sure where.

Snow still holding up very well, here in schaldming, zauchansee and other local areas. Maybe some fresh this thurs/ fri. So i'v added incentive to get my beginners up to powder standard in 5 days.
snow conditions
waynos, we are there on Sunday for 3 days. Freeze thaw?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter Leuzzi, hmm, yeah looking quite warm for the weekend but decent base so snow will hold up. Some nice slush in teh afternoons could be quite fun. A couple of forecast have some light snow from thurs - sat so there's some hope of a little fresh.

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/steiermark/schladmingplanai
ski holidays
It's been getting warmer and warmer all week, hopefully today it's peaked. Unbroken sunshine for over 2 weeks now. Today it's +14 in town (17:00), +10 at 1800m. Apparently +20 at midstation (1300) but sure I can believe that. Skied Zauchansee today, (quick blast at planai first thing), given the very spring temps the snow was very good condition. There was an overnight freeze from top to bottom, so hard packed to start with soft bumps by the end of day. Some north facing off piste was still in excellent conditions. All slopes still have good cover here in schladming and zauchansee, though the snow is starting to disappear off the piste lower down. Lots of precipitation forecast wed onwards - just a case of where the snow line will be, next weekend could be very good.
ski holidays
hi waynos, just had a look at the Planai site and they're still claiming 90cm at resort level on the slopes! Is that true, surely after a couple of days at +13 and 14 and not freezing overnight that can't be right can it?!
snow report
Rowlski, The Planai site's snow depths never seem to change. Snow holding up very well, is freezing overnight, probably under 90cm lower down, but still plenty. The next couple of days will be interesting, looks like rain lower down, but maybe snow at the weekend. Everything crossed.
ski holidays
BLIZZARD in schladming all the way down to 750m! I sure someone mentioned snowline around 1800m, but j2ski.com said 850!.
j2.com has over 1m forecast for the next week, i want to believe.

What a day so far. Woke up to rain and some wind. Decided best bet was drive around to zauchansee. Dead quiet, the rain let up as I went up the first lift. Bloody hell was it windy at the top or what! Piste signs blowing about, tree debris everywhere, saw a 2 man chair with chair at 90degrees to where they should be, had a very exciting gondola ride and was almost blown off a t-bar all whilst getting battered by sleet. By 11:30 all lifts were shut! Shame as the piste were in pretty nice condition, a little wet snow higher up, soft lower down but not skied out.

Drove back to schaldming, road side temp gauge said +6, bug! Went beer shopping came out and it was snowing, now that was a quick change in weather. Drove up a little higher to 1000m, full on blizzard, snow settling on the road. All lifts appear to be shut due to the wind I guess.

Yesterday was rather warm with no overnight freeze, piste wet and slushy from word go, but still at least there are piste all the way down the hill.
snow report
waynos, it was breezy when we were up at Zauchansee in early Feb. Lovely ski area though and we'll definitely be back to Ski Amade.
snow report
Yes!!!!!!! out there from the 8th! been looking at j2 ski and also wanting to believe! metcheck is more or less backing them up and snow forecast a little less. If it comes true and we get that 100cm it's gonna be fantastic for me and my mates. All fingers and everything crossed. Waynos...I'll be relying on you for regular updates. Cheers Andy.
snow report
Apparently todays windy weather was a result of a storm named "emma"

http://www.euronews.net/index.php?page=info&article=472825&lng=1

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,538795,00.html

some news stories claim up to a metre of snow fell in places but not sure where.

Still blowing pretty hard here.
snow conditions
Awoke to heavy rain, with snow falling from mid station. Zauchansee again today - maybe 15-20cm snow higher up but was it wet & heavy or what! Skied some untracked stuff but was so hard to get a rhythm going as the snow was so wet and when the wind was blowing against you it was hard to move at all. The ski down was leg breaking stuff even on piste as my ski just would not run. Several lifts closed during the morning due to high winds the rain / snow eased by lunch. Needs a good overnight freeze, maybe happen if the clouds clear. Warm and sunny tomorrow and then winter starts again, hopefully!
latest report
At last some decent fresh snow, only has to wait a month. Snowing quite heavy all morning, eased off this afternoon but still very cloudy. Probably 15cms higher up, was skiing nice untracked snow all day at Haus. Not quite bottomless powder but certainly very very nice to be skiing in fresh snow and more forecast. New snow down to valley though not much lower down.
snow report
Had a fantastic day at zauchansee, snowing hard all day, cold and probably 30+ cms of dreamy powder. Skiing untracked most the day, mainly ski treeing. Zauch gets better and better the more I ski it. Off to haus tomorrow which shoud be pretty darn good.
snow report
a few photos from today and yesterday

Haus - 04 mar 2008

Zauchansee - 05 Mar 2008 - 30cms + of fresh snow Little Angel

And the little ones enjoyed the fresh snow as well.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy