Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do Hijack a thread about the mental needs of a skier, whilst being clearly mental whilst.......

Poster: A snowHead
FastMan wrote:
consistently finish at the top of the heap

"consistently" is the key word there, which is why overall World Cup winners are viewed with slightly greater respect than World Champions or Olympic Champions, amongst their peers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FastMan wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
FastMan, Does the clock tell who's the best? Or just the fastest? How do you measure 'Best'?

Obviously, in a race, first equals best. People are free to measure best how they choose, but from a general skiing standpoint I measure best by the stable of skills one possesses, the level to which they've developed those skills, and their ability to blend and employ them by planned desire or spontaneous need on a variety of terrain.

And having worked with racers of all levels for numerous decades, I can assure you that the racers who excel in my "general skiing measure of best" are the ones who consistently finish at the top of the heap in the race course.

surely the best is the one with the most control on the hardest of slopes.

I dont mind being a group with skiiers who are less able than myself. You can always whizz ahead and then wait for them. That's what i genreally tend to do.

When i go with my family me and my mother are about equal levels, but i like to go fatser. My sister is still a timid begginer and my dad is an average skiier but doesnt like anything steep. I love going off with my mum and doing reds and easy blacks. But my mum feels she has to stay with my sister. It can get boring. But i put up with it. I dont feel as if im being stretched.

When im with my friends, theres about 8 of us and we all split up into 2's of similar ability in the morning and go off. And then the afternoon we all ski together and just push our selves as much possible. Its great fun!

However i dont like being a group with people who are unnescearily scared of going down an easy blue when your pottering along with them and their more than capable of it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Megamum, What do i feel? I feel we've had another thread hijacked in favour of a therapy session and audience with a particular Snowhead. Twisted Evil

Quote:
......not being the best in your group? Does it effect your skiing?

NO

Quote:
When you're the best (percieved) how well do you ski?

FINE

There, questions answered,,,, thread can be put to bed.

Unless, of course, SMALLZOOKEEPER, you want to hijack it again with silly race questions. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What we need is an auto delete button assigned to the author who can delete any post that they deem derails their thread..then we can have a league for the worst offenders.
Say 3 strikes and profile banned... ....

We have a vote winner here..!!! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
maggi,

We could start a book to see who would top this glorious poll............. now we are cooking..!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT wrote:
What we need is an auto delete button assigned to the author who can delete any post that they deem derails their thread..then we can have a league for the worst offenders.
Say 3 strikes and profile banned... ....

I bet that would thin the herd around here. JT, ya think you'd survive it? I think your above post just earned you your first stike. Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 18-11-07 19:28; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It ain't that simple IMHO. For recreational skiers like me, performance varies from day to day, in different conditions. Most of the people who I have skied with who I thought were "worse" than me, showed themselves to be better than me in at least one aspect. Providing we can all negotiate the same terrain safely and have a blast, it isn't a problem.

I do however find that if I am consistently the worst person in a group for more than a few hours, it does get to me,and I do tire faster and lose the will to turn...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I find I am pushing myself too hard then I will take a break or pick an easier run to a meet up point. Doesn't bother me in the slightest taking an easier option.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother, Not only recreational skiers experience varied performance - everyone does. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
......not being the best in your group? Does it affect your skiing? When you're the best (perceived) how well do you ski? wink

When I went on my 1st week, I KNEW I'd be the worst by far, so I didn't even contemplate going in a group lesson - I was so scared I would not keep up with the rest and would be made to quit. So, being as it was Serbia, and 1:1 lessons were really cheap, I opted for that. Then I was joined later in the week by 2 other ladies who'd had just the experience I feared and had dropped out of their group. They were in a beginner grp even though they'd skied one week the previous year, but still the pace went way beyond them. The rest of the group were sporty young men with apparently no fear. So the whole group were expected to be the same, and they were moved onto reds after a couple of days and the end of week goal was a tour of much of the resort.

I'd far rather be in the middle to upper middle of a group. Having to drop out and being made to feel useless would be so demoralising though I accept also that being the best in a group could be frustrating.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I greatly enjoy skiing with better skiers than me.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 18-11-07 22:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jbob wrote:
I greatly enjoy skiing with better skier than me.

I think there is a minimum level of experience to reach before this can be true and I am nowhere near that yet! I think you need to be able to get down almost any slope at a reasonable speed, and be confident to go off alone and meet up, eg taking an alternative route to the mogully, icy black someone else fancies. Otherwise, you don't enjoy it, as you know you are holding the others up and spoiling their day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the whole question of best/worst must be taken within the limit of being able to safely handle the terrain.

It's a no-brainer for better skier to stay on tamer terrain but impossible for weaker skier to be in terrain over their ability.

So I see the question of "best" to mean by-passing terrain others can not safely handle and stay on the easier pistes, or waiting for the slower skiers frequently. I don't have a problem doing that for a day, though wouldn't want to spend an entire week doing so.

As for being the "worst skier" situation, I don't have a problem being the one dictating the upper limit of speed (and terrain)! Wink And I would not take offends if the rest of the group decide they will go off without me the next day! Laughing Heck, I don't even mind if they leave me behind as long as there's an obvious way for me to get home without getting lost in the mountain! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:
I think the whole question of best/worst must be taken within the limit of being able to safely handle the terrain.

Dead right there!
snow conditions
Being the worst in the group, definitely makes me worse. I feel bad for holding people up and people standing watching and waiting for me makes me very clumsy. If I'm in the middle somewhere, I'm fine. I'm always worried about the 'worst'/last person - I identify with that much more than anything else (even if in reality it isn't often me). On the odd occasion, I've been in front, I don't like to go ahead too much in case something happens the person behind and I have to climb up too far. Twisted Evil

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I really think it's completely phsychological for me. There's a constant battle between fear and confidence. I get most scared on the little roads/tracks being confined to narrow tracks, with sharp bends and mad sheer drops one side and sheets of rock on the other. I can barely see where I'm going with the blood-bath visions in my imagination.
snow conditions
MissRibena, sounds like you might need to become MissGluhwein... wink
latest report
MissRibena, We have a couple of tracks like that here. However the drops are not sheer - people ski off the edges all the time. Unfortunately they look sheer to the unfortunate beginners, and seeing people actually skiing down there doesn't seem to help. You would think it would: ie: "it's skiable, it's not a cliff, I will not die if I fall over there" . What actually happens is that " it's too steep, I'm scared, people are actually skiing down there, I'm not good enough to" ... this is one of the problems to overcome with very many skiers. You are not alone. Very Happy
snow conditions
FastMan,

yep, agree with that 1st strike, but I'd go to appeal and get a reprieve, I'm pretty sure. Laughing Laughing Laughing

And of course, in this case, SZK would have to call it anyway wink
ski holidays
I am on a slalom training course in a few weeks in TIgnes and have only had a few hours on plastic to practice, never once been in a gate on snow, plus just injured myself so havent had any exercise for the last few weeks, so out of shape as well....

The coach is a 4 time olympian and of the 8 peeps on the course i hear that 2 are national team level and another one is sub 50 FIS points. Shocked Shocked

I am going to be so far behind them that the emotional scars will never heal Laughing
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
I am on a slalom training course in a few weeks in TIgnes and have only had a few hours on plastic to practice, never once been in a gate on snow, plus just injured myself so havent had any exercise for the last few weeks, so out of shape as well....

The coach is a 4 time olympian and of the 8 peeps on the course i hear that 2 are national team level and another one is sub 50 FIS points. Shocked Shocked

I am going to be so far behind them that the emotional scars will never heal Laughing

You've forgotten about the fitness training and volleyball injuries...
snow report
rob@rar, so i get to be left behind on the fitness training as well, forgot about that humiliation Laughing .... I use to know how to play volleyball however so perhaps can salvage some dignity wink ....
snow report
The best skier in the group is the one who tells the funniest gags.
snow report
stoatsbrother, LOL I think MissGluhwein probably suits me better alright. And Thanks for the kind words easiski. Smile
latest report
If i am the worst in a group i always ask to go as many times as i can behind the leader in a group as he will pick the best line and will usually be a good skier whose technique I try and copy/follow. I think a lot of ski instructors dont make the less experienced follow directly behind them as much as they could, it is normally the better skier who junps in behind the instructor.
ski holidays
riverman wrote:
If i am the worst in a group i always ask to go as many times as i can behind the leader in a group as he will pick the best line and will usually be a good skier whose technique I try and copy/follow. I think a lot of ski instructors dont make the less experienced follow directly behind them as much as they could, it is normally the better skier who junps in behind the instructor.

when ive had lessons ive normally been in the top of the class and i tend to do it. I have a problem with pottering a long, i need to go fast. I need a remedy for my selfish ways. Most adults in my class though dont mind and dont like following the instructor.
latest report
Christopher, As you say lots of people dont like to be behind the instructor, but thats the place to be if you want to learn.
snow conditions
riverman, I have tried to shove people in behind the instructor that need to be there.... it is like pulling teeth!!! and how many people think "waiting until instructor makes 2-3 turns" is "right behind"..... rolling eyes I was taught that "follow" means about 4-6 feet from his ski tails in a medium-long turn... they yell when I get further back.... half a run is not "following" especially when you ski a totally different line!!!

I can never work out why folks pay for lessons and then do something totally different to what they are asked, or worse still refuse to try to do what they are asked....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I can never work out why folks pay for lessons and then do something totally different to what they are asked, or worse still refuse to try to do what they are asked....

little tiger, So you don't understand why people don't listen to those with greater Knowledge? Cool
ski holidays
little tiger, I take your point that follow means as close as is possible not two turns behind. When I have a one to one lesson now I always ask that we spend some time just playing follow the leader with the Instructor making me ski as fast as possible in good style. A good instructor will keep the pace at just the right level to stretch your ability.
latest report
a mixed group of boarders and skiers is fun and depending on conditions throughout the day/holiday the 'who is first/last' issue changes a lot. Also following the line of a skier/boarder or boarder/skier is a lot harder than skier/skier or boarder/boarder - which is really good practice for puting in turns when you have to rather than not when you want to Very Happy
snow conditions
Maybe I should reserve commenting until after April next year. wink
snow conditions
Quote:

how many people think "waiting until instructor makes 2-3 turns" is "right behind"..... I was taught that "follow" means about 4-6 feet from his ski tails in a medium-long turn...

Well, little tiger, I plead guilty of "following 2-3 turns behind"! (ok, more like 1-2 turns behind for short radiu, 1/2-1 on long/medium radius turns) Unlike you, I was never taught "follow" actually means 4-6' from the tail of the instructor's ski!
snow report
abc, seriously 2-3 turns MINIMUM for medium/long radius... and they would insist they were following.... I actually almost lost sight of the instructor around a bend on one run and they still had not moved!

Short turns I am regularly forced to synch with the instructor... so 1/2 a turn out I guess... I am about 1 turn back for slalom turns I think (long time since I have been home now)....

These days we play less with that stuff.... but I did it for so long that it is frustrating when an instructor explicitly says "right behind me" and they stand and watch him ski off... I feel so sorry for the instructor...
snow report
SZK - I think you want 'to' not 'do' wink
snow report
Megamum, Last time i start a thread, it's like making room for your fat mate on your sofa, then getting up to realise when you come back, you need to take a chair from the dining room to sit back down. Laughing
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I have this theory that when some of us in particular start a thread, that there are some personalities that do all they can to railroad it in a different direction c'est la vie rolling eyes
latest report
Megamum wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I have this theory that when some of us in particular start a thread, that there are some personalities that do all they can to railroad it in a different direction c'est la vie rolling eyes
...Enough about me, let's talk about you. What do you think about me ?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

Last time i start a thread, it's like making room for your fat mate on your sofa, then getting up to realise when you come back, you need to take a chair from the dining room to sit back down

That's a cracking analogy - have to remember it (all acknowledgements to you of course
Smile
ski holidays
it effects my skiing to a point.

(since we are both in the same boat, I thought I should go back to the original topic)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy