Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmisch - When Is It Going To Be Open?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone please confirm when Garmisch is going to be open, we are looking to arrive the 1st week of December (4-Cool. But if its gonna be shut/restricted we might have to look elsewhere.

Any recommendations for cheap accomodation ideas are welcomed - its a tight/low budget trip... Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cforcat, If you mean Zupspitze, it has been already open for over a week. They have fantastic snow, over 2m last week.
As far as I know, there is lot of snow on the lower slopes, but it would be too early to open them.
I am sure that others recommend cheap accommodation for you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kerekip wrote:
cforcat, If you mean Zupspitze, it has been already open for over a week. They have fantastic snow, over 2m last week.
As far as I know, there is lot of snow on the lower slopes, but it would be too early to open them.
Thanks, I saw that Zupspitze was open, not being familiar with that area is that ok for 3 days skiing, area wise?

thanks again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cforcat wrote:
kerekip wrote:
Thanks, I saw that Zupspitze was open, not being familiar with that area is that ok for 3 days skiing, area wise?

thanks again.

Depends what you do! If off piste is your thing then you'll find that the Zugspitze is a wonderful powder bowl Madeye-Smiley If you are a beginner then the pistes up there should also keep you happy. If you are an intermediate but don't like heading off piste then you will probably get bored quite quickly up there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Lawrie wrote:
cforcat wrote:
kerekip wrote:

thanks again.

Depends what you do! If off piste is your thing then you'll find that the Zugspitze is a wonderful powder bowl Madeye-Smiley If you are a beginner then the pistes up there should also keep you happy. If you are an intermediate but don't like heading off piste then you will probably get bored quite quickly up there.
To be fair anywhere that is easily reached by train from Munich, this being one, will do. Likewise, as long as there is snow I think we will be happy, just trying to work out how that area works and where else we can go should other runs open.

Any help is v.much appreciated.

Thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cforcat, the relevant website for Garmisch just says that they will open the main area ( Alpspitze, Kreuzeck & Hausberg ) on 21st December! There is a clause saying that they may open earlier if snow conditions allow. I guess they got caught on the hop by the recent snowfalls!
An alternative to Garmisch is Oberstdorf/Kleinwalsertal. It's a bigger ski area and is also a really nice place. Two hours by train, and there's a direct train every two hours! The Fellhorn ski area has been partially open this weekend and as far as I can tell the whole of the main ski area (Fellhorn + Kanzelwand) should be open next weekend.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Lawrie wrote:
cforcat, the relevant website for Garmisch just says that they will open the main area ( Alpspitze, Kreuzeck & Hausberg ) on 21st December! There is a clause saying that they may open earlier if snow conditions allow. I guess they got caught on the hop by the recent snowfalls!
An alternative to Garmisch is Oberstdorf/Kleinwalsertal. It's a bigger ski area and is also a really nice place. Two hours by train, and there's a direct train every two hours! The Fellhorn ski area has been partially open this weekend and as far as I can tell the whole of the main ski area (Fellhorn + Kanzelwand) should be open next weekend.
Mike, thanks for your reply, I will have another look at the Oberstdorf idea.

Any more info is more than welcome. In partic. to accom ideas etc..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
here is the official website. Looks like it's mostly hotels at this time of year. Usually the season doesn't start until much later!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking at the webcams from Garmisch, you can often see large machines pushing snow around on the lower slopes (Classic Area), so I would gather that an early opening may be in the cards. First week of December may be cutting it a little close, though.

However, if you are staying in Garmisch, in addition to the Zugspitze, you can easily and cheaply day-trip by train to Lermoos, Berwang, Ehrwald and Seefeld, all of which may be open and are included in your lift ticket if you get the Happy Ski Card.

That'll keep you busy for three days.

For accomidations, the Garmisch-Partenkirched website has a odging search function, and lodging can generally be pretty cheap there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy