Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs snow report 2007/2008 season

Poster: A snowHead
allanm, jayne durham, Bon voyage to you, hope your trips home are without hassle. Look forward to seeing you next season. One more week to go then I to must get back to the real world as well. Pity you were not with us today. This was our last trip over the back as they closed the lift to get back tonight. Good fresh snow still up high , but getting heavy lower down. Safest in the morning. Very warm now in the afternoons so finished early today. They say a storm is coming tomorrow with more snow. Not bad for the end of season so there should be a chance of another trip later in the week. IF anyone else is around pm me if you want to join our little group this week.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thefatcontroller, Re: avalanche in 2000 bowl.

I was there...( I think we have seen this on earlier threads in snowHead)

The "aerosol" avalanche that they set off wasn't quite as controlled as had been planned.

With a few hundred people in 2000 watching it (they had closed the high lifts, so most people knew something was about to happen) this magnificent sight started down the valley of the Flying K. As the snow rose into the air and continued towards us, there was the odd element of disquiet, and then when those in the Paradiski jackets started to look gently alarmed as it continued far further than had been expected, a wee degree of panic. Some people ran for the buildings ( well, at least one of my more excitable friends did!).
We covered the children up, and turned their backs to the ensuing wind and snowstorm. For about 30 seconds this strange cloud of driving snow whistled around us, and then ... it was all over.

Further down the hill apparently, for example, the kindergarten slopes in 1950, they had no idea it was coming or indeed what it was, and there was consternation amongst the intructors and children as it passed through. It continued in far less impressive form I am told down Cascades to Pre St Esprit, but had mainly dispersed by the time it got there.

A fantastic sight, and one not to be forgotten, if only to reinforce the power of the mountains, and the respect they deserve.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JimW, I kind of the got the feeling it was a little unprepared in the video. Laughing

By the way have you used or the kids used the ski school in 1950?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller, Certainly have, every year for the past 5 years. Adults (both private and group) and children from ages 3 - 12. We like it a lot and continue to use. PM me if you want more details.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimW, Not a problem to write here. You may know we are buying in 2000 and won't use ESF up in 2000. I have heard great reports about the ski school in 1950 and have 3 young kids so just curious as to your opinion, which backs what others have said. Cheers. Might come back to you next year by PM for a name of who you recommend for me and the missus. Hooked on private lessons now. Boy wiht the right instructor they are worth every penny. Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not much of a day today, wet lower down, windy and some fresh snow high up with very poor vis. Had a quick ski and then went home. Yuk!! Did not look like it got any better later on so I was happy to be back indoors. Tomorrow looks like more of the same but then better weather is forcast for the rest of the week. Hope so!

thefatcontroller, Pleased to hear you are getting a place in 2000. There are some very good instructors in 2000 for private lessons as well if you know who to ask for. PM me if you want some contacts. I also agree that 1950 has some good guys, but like all ski schools, they are not all of the same standard so it does depend on who you get.

Look forward to seeing you out here next season. If you fancy some backcountry skiing let me know.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowcrazy wrote:
Look forward to seeing you out here next season. If you fancy some backcountry skiing let me know.

Thanks for kind offer. I am a few weeks away from joining you, need a few more lessons. Will definitley PM you before we head out next year for some instructor recommendations.

We did the 2 blacks of the glacier in La Plagne last Friday. Great expereince and fantastic conditions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller wrote:
snowcrazy wrote:

Thanks for kind offer. I am a few weeks away from joining you, need a few more lessons. Will definitley PM you before we head out next year for some instructor recommendations.

We did the 2 blacks of the glacier in La Plagne last Friday. Great expereince and fantastic conditions.

OMG we did them on Friday too!! About what time?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mouth, Between about 10.30 and 12. Did Bellecotte first and then went back up to do what we thought was the easier 'Rochu' second. Oh what a blast. Life has been dull since Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thefatcontroller, exactly the time we did it! Le Chiaupe certainly tested me on my board I can tell you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mouth, We didn't go Chiaupe, we went straight to Bellecote and Rochu. Amazing day Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very wet, cloudy and snowy day today. Must be honest took the day off. Maybe someone that went up can post what the slopes were like. Seems like the top lifts all stayed shut. Sun and fresh powder promised for tomorrow some time and then for the rest of the week. Laughing or at least that is what the meteo says rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very heavy today. Top lifts did not open till late and all the fresh snow seemed to go off very quickly. Let's face it, spring has arrived even if there is still loads of snow around. Tomorrow we hope to do bellcote one last time but anything off piste needs to be early now or everything is just to soft. Stiil the piste is fun with few people around and there is still the waterslide to give free entertainment. Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, A poor day on the mountain is STILL better than a good day in the office!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JimW, Amen wink Laughing
latest report
JimW, thefatcontroller, Your right guys and today we had fun in La Plagne, tomorrow back in les arcs. There is just so much snow, think they should stay open another week at least. Might have to go to la grave next. So sad!! Laughing
snow report
Blue sky warm temps, could have been at the beach. The waterslide was very busy, plenty of people doing crazy tricks (trying to) best I saw was a 360 half way across without falling in, and the kid must have been about 14 at most. How many snowheads gave it a go this seasonm I know a few that did not. The snow was great high up with spring conditions in some places, but as the day went on it became very heavy. Tomorrow is the last day so another early start might even try getting up on Mount Pourri before the lifts close.
ski holidays
snowcrazy, best (most amusing?) we saw on the waterslide was a couple of lads - twins perhaps - who kept trying to do it backwards. One was better than the other but we never saw him complete it - managed to get a bit on video. Great free entertainment but there's no way you'd get me doing it Laughing
snow report
Today was the last day of the season in Les Arcs Crying or Very sad but what a great day. Blue sky, no wind (almost), spring snow early in the day and great conditions off piste if you made the effort to hike. Went up Mont Pourri, sort of last day of the season tradition now. Must be honest, did not go to the very top, just to where the best place to ski back down is. Others with us did go the whole way, congrats to them they had an extra hr+ of skining. Some very steep. I am very impressed!! We (not the others) got back down in time to ski most of what was open and ended up contouring over to the waterslide for a final splash. The place was busy as always, some of the kids were even paddling, it was really that warm rolling eyes The wise people in control of the lifts stopped the link back to 1600 today and closed the snowpark. Did not stop us though Skullie There is still excellent snow in the resort and the national park just behind the resort so for all you ski tourers, plenty to do even with the lifts shut as some of the mountain huts are open until the end of May. Back to work now but hope to get back for a short tour next weekend before putting the skis away again Sad
ski holidays
snowcrazy, Man, the end must be such a come down for you Crying or Very sad . Been a great season?
snow report
snowcrazy, Great season eh! Here's to the next Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
Rob,

If you're still around do you ever go into Ambiente in 1800?

Was drinking in there with some locals. Christophe from 1800 ski school is my neighbour, his son Antoine has been on the french junior ski team and we all skied together on the Wed/Thu of my week 13th -20th April.

Anyhow there was an English bloke on a laptop when he left the staff said ciao Rob. Penny dropped 30 seconds later, much too late to say hi, but I wondered if it was you?

Cheers,
JimF
snow report
JimF wrote:
Rob,

If you're still around do you ever go into Ambiente in 1800?

Was drinking in there with some locals. Christophe from 1800 ski school is my neighbour, his son Antoine has been on the french junior ski team and we all skied together on the Wed/Thu of my week 13th -20th April.

Anyhow there was an English bloke on a laptop when he left the staff said ciao Rob. Penny dropped 30 seconds later, much too late to say hi, but I wondered if it was you?

Cheers,
JimF

OMG that must have been Rob surely???
ski holidays
But was he using an Apple laptop?? - our rob@rar wouldn't been seen dead with anything else! Laughing
snow report
Never did make it back to Les Arcs at the weekend, but I heard there is still plenty of snow in the national park for all those into touring. Some of the huts are still open or it is still possible to get over from Tignes to la Plagne or Les Arcs. Anyway that is me done for the winter now, but I did have a great day yesterday in Zermatt so cannot complain. See some of you in Les Arcs or even La Plagne when they open the connection again next season I hope.
latest report
snowcrazy, thanks for the snow reports this season. It's always good to hear about things when I'm stuck in London.

JimF, that wasn't me in the Ambiente. I've been there a couple of times, but not enough to be recognised by the staff.
ski holidays
August snow report. Well there isn't any really. Just returned for a weekend biking, some pics here http://www.19x.co.uk/LesArcsAugust2008/index.htm .
Quite an eye opener seeing the place in mid summer. Driving down La Foret was really something else.

ATB

Allan
ski holidays
allanm, thanks for posting the photos. Did you see any sign of construction work on the new reservoir/lake above Arc 2000?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, If there was any construction over 2000 visible from the top of the Transarc, I didn't notice. We didn't actually get over to 2000, Saturday the only lifts that were open were the funicular and Cachette, Sunday, a lot more were open but we mainly stayed with Cachette and the Transarc.
latest report
allanm, thanks for those pictures - both a reminder of great summers past, and a wake up to get the winter bookings done.

rob@rar, if you zoom in on any of the piccys with 2000 in them, iirc the reservoir is just behind the ridge blocking the left of the village.
snow conditions
rob - Am both sorry and glad it wasn't you.

Haven't heard from the neighbours for a while so no idea of resort gossip. We're all obsessed by mains drainage as our village (La Grange d'Hauteville) is practically the last in the valley to get on it, but it looks like we will have to do another season with the fosse septique. Ar$e!
ski holidays
BUMP

Snow, snow, snow, snow snow, please snow

Getting bored of looking at green web cams Cool
snow report
It must nearly be time to close down the 2007/2008 thread and start up a new, shiny and optimistic Les Arcs snow report 2008/2009 season?? snowHead
ski holidays
doogo wrote:
It must nearly be time to close down the 2007/2008 thread and start up a new, shiny and optimistic Les Arcs snow report 2008/2009 season?? snowHead

I've just re-read the whole thread and am getting excited about being out there for this season and b**gger the gloom and doom merchants. Having saved a few schekels I'm not planning on working so hopefully will have lots of time to improve both my boarding and skiing as I'm a bit of a 'do both' kind of a guy.

I look forward to meeting up with fellow S/Hs once we've got our feet on the white stuff. Count me in for the motalbert/villaroger challenge and other such fun and games..
snow conditions
doogo, As before I'll start a new Montalbert thread on the day of this seasons first snowfall
bertie bassett, I'll post my leisurely time on December 20th Very Happy
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
doogo, As before I'll start a new Montalbert thread on the day of this seasons first snowfall
bertie bassett, I'll post my leisurely time on December 20th Very Happy

That'll be the warm up run then??
latest report
Mouth, Yep, warming up my legs Toofy Grin
snow report
http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/montchavin/interface.php?pk_interface=65&m=images&r=zooms

Still looking green. But its only October Toofy Grin
snow report
genepi, is that a new webcam? Can't remember seeing those views last season. Some nice photos across the valley to the tree-lined runs above Vallandry Smile
latest report
rob@rar, Was there last year, I think genepi, alerted me to it then.

It was then checked hourly from about November to mid-Jan Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy