Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Balkans: better than the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
plectrum wrote:
Ok First Choice as of 14:02 19th Dec

1 week 19th - 26th Jan - half board hotel 4* with ski hire and lift pass £551 each - carte neige will not cover Bulgaria for same charge as France and so insurance will be ~ £30 a person. If as SCGB review is correct and food is not great in hotel, then extra $$ will need to be spent on nightly eating.

I know that option A: France is SC and option B: Bulgaria is HB but I think this shows that with a quick 20 min spat on the internet it is not as easy as one thinks to book through reputable well known sources an exceptionally cheap Eastern European holiday.

This is a bit of an unfair comparision, you are doing one DIY and one through a tour operator, IMO tour operators are ALWAYS dearer. A fairer comparision would be ( from personal experience 2 years ago)

Flights to Slovenia approx. £50 return from a London Airport
1 week in SC apartment £60 per person per week

lets leave your other costs the same although they seem ridiculously cheap and would require some real scrimping and saving so

Food £25
Non Alc £10
Dinner Alc £25

Ski Hire approx £40

Insurance approx. £20

so that adds up to

£230

Hmm, bit of a difference.

Now I am not saying cheaper is always best but it gets a bit tiresome hearing how bad Eastern Europe is from people
who have never been there, I have and have posted 3 trip reports about different resorts that I have been to if anyone is interested. Oh and there is far more to eastern Europe than Bulgaria, thanks for your post killian, I will make a note of these places for further research Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

seriously though, a bunch of mates have booked a trip to Bulgaria (Boro...something) from Bristol in first week of March at good times, and it is £350 each including flights, transfer, H/B accomm, board hire and lessons and ski pass

Borovets. But if you have anything like the same experience I did, when I went there once, the HB option is worthless as you'll eat out every night rather than suffer what passes for hotel food there. Maybe it's improved over the past few years but I certainly would never go back.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
awksquawk, anything would be better than my cooking in the cupboard apartment Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops, haha! I can't remember which one of the Borovets' finest (!) we stayed in but the numbers of people at dinner got progressively less each evening until, on day 4, we put our heads round the door and decided enough was enough and never returned. The final straw was opening a large coveed bowl and seeing a group of fish heads bobbing up and down looking at us pitifully. Aside from the hotel food the ski hire was appalling and I had a ski fall off half way up the chair lift when the binding just disintegrated for no, apparent, reason (dismounting at the top of the lift was fun!). The snow was patchy down at resort level but ok up top. Beer was dirt cheap though! All in all I agree with earlier posters in that it might be cheap and won't break the bank to go to Bulgaria but you get what you pay for and, personally, I just thought it's false economy and would not return...which is a shame as I'm sure I was just unlucky but that's all you need to put you off somewhere.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
awksquawk wrote:
Quote:

seriously though, a bunch of mates have booked a trip to Bulgaria (Boro...something) from Bristol in first week of March at good times, and it is £350 each including flights, transfer, H/B accomm, board hire and lessons and ski pass

Borovets. But if you have anything like the same experience I did, when I went there once, the HB option is worthless as you'll eat out every night rather than suffer what passes for hotel food there. Maybe it's improved over the past few years but I certainly would never go back.

But that can happen in other places too.

When I stayed in a supposedly 3* hotel in Campitello (Italy) the January before last, quite a few people were eating out every night because they couldn't stand the hotel food.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
alex_heney, Yes, you are 100% correct and I totally accept that. I'm simply relaying my own experience of Borovets. Others may find it a winter wonderland, sadly I didn't.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
awksquawk, I had the same thing with food in a good hotel in Verbier and in the end took the money allowance and ate in the hotel's 'other' pulic restaurant where we bumped in to lots of other guests doing the same thing, snow was crap back to the village too .... and I had to change my board 3 times in one day at AdH and got stuck in Val when baording from Tignes becasue my bindings broke........... Very Happy

That said i am sure I would much prefer L2A, AdH and Verbier than Bulgaria, even though i have never been to Bulgaria..... yet ...... wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, On a more positive note I remember the nightclub at the far end of town where we met a couple of very lovely young ladies!! (not the one at the big Samakov Hotel or whatever it was called, that one was rammed full of, ahem, "women of ill-repute"!).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
awksquawk, it is the women of ill-repute that has attracted my mates to the resort Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynseyf wrote:

Flights to Slovenia approx. £50 return from a London Airport
1 week in SC apartment £60 per person per week

lets leave your other costs the same although they seem ridiculously cheap and would require some real scrimping and saving so

Food £25
Non Alc £10
Dinner Alc £25

Ski Hire approx £40

Insurance approx. £20

so that adds up to

£230

Hmm, bit of a difference.

Accuracy is key here .... http://www.bulgariaski.com/bansko/skipackages.shtml

Ski hire boots and ski's = £73 euro = £52.16 at todays rates

Including a lift pass the total comes to £150.

So we have your flight at £50 and your apartment at £60 + 150 + 25 + 10 + 25 + 20 (insurance)

So this comes to £340.

And you have not included your transport to the resort from Sofia. So actually your trip will cost very similar to mine and your room rate is based on a 2 year old quote.

As said I am not trying in anyway to bash Eastern European ski holidays but i just do not see much reason to go there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
plectrum, but lynseyf is going to Slovenia not Bansko ...... accuracy is the key Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Accuracy is key here .... http://www.bulgariaski.com/bansko/skipackages.shtml

Ski hire boots and ski's = £73 euro = £52.16 at todays rates

Including a lift pass the total comes to £150.

So we have your flight at £50 and your apartment at £60 + 150 + 25 + 10 + 25 + 20 (insurance)

So this comes to £340.

And you have not included your transport to the resort from Sofia. So actually your trip will cost very similar to mine and your room rate is based on a 2 year old quote.

As said I am not trying in anyway to bash Eastern European ski holidays but i just do not see much reason to go there.[/quote]

Ok how about this year (2007) in Slovakia,
Flights £40 from london
2 weeks in ski in ski out accomodation £220
10 days out of 14 lift pass £70

and I'll double your miserly food costs so

Food £50
Non Alc £20
Dinner Alc £50

and I think we paid about £40 each for return airport transfers

Ski hire was £80 for 2 weeks

Insurance £30 annual trip

so 2 weeks skiing in Slovakia cost £600, only a bit more than 1 week in the shoebox 20 miles from the lifts in france Wink More realistically I think I spent £300-£400 on food and drink for the 2 weeks which was eating lunch and a few drinks on the slopes everyday plus dinner out every night and some food and quite a lot of booze in the apartment

My point was more that I don't particularly fancy France for lots of reasons (of which cost is only 1), I have never been skiing there so when I see a thread where someone asks for advice on a french resort I don't jump in with ill informed personal opinions trashing what is to many people a great holiday Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops,

Ben's Bus is around when youa rrive late at night, and you can easily leave your bags at reception or with the consierge of the appartment as we have many a time.

The accomodation actually in this case was quite good I can provide pics. Ski hire was the silver standard rather than bronze.

Also what price ......? Your mates have booked a trip for £350 but they could have paid ~£50 more made spag bol 6 days a week had lots of those mini french beer bottles at appartment and been in Les Deux Alpes or Las Vegas on ice as its known?

Actually what am I saying Bulgaria is a blessing ... as it is a haven for many that want a cheap as chips holiday so they can go out loads and get pissed.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
plectrum, I really like L2A and have been there three times in less than 12 months, and if I want a cheapy in France it is without doubt the place to go but no matter how hard I try I never spend less than £100 a day when averaged out. The lads however need to go out, drink in bars etc (not sit in a little box cooking spag bol and dinking beer Shocked ), generally whoop it up and they would easily spend £200 more in L2A than Bulgaria, easy. The boarding/skiing may not be as good but for a mixed group mainly learning to board (lessons included) the extent of piste will be fine.

Generally you have to squeeze out all the economy aspects of a DIY trip to the alps to even begin to compete in price with Slovenia/Bulgaria etc,.

By the way I thought the Balkans were Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia Very Happy
snow conditions
lynseyf

You are again a little out of order ...... my comparisson was directed at Bulgaria for the benefit of Jago. My opinions are not ill informed, please point anything that is not correct.
I am perfectly free to hold an opinion which is developed through second hand experience. I read alot of reviews on ski resorts throughout the world and feel that Slovenia sounds like a reasonable 3-4 day vacation option. I have not investigated Serbian, Bosnian, Romanian or Croat ski options and as such do not air an opinion but for Bulgaria I have read and heard lots and lots and lots. For my perspective i would see it as a waste of money but that was not what this thread was about. This thread was please compare St Anton & likes with Bansko and likes. The answer is that the comparison is quite frankly ridiculous, it is Ferrari's & Lada's.

Oh yes can I point this out

"According to the most commonly used border, Slovenia lies to the north of the Balkans and is considered a part of Central Europe. Historically and culturally, it is also more related to Central Europe, although the Slovenian culture also incorporates some elements of Balkan culture."

So your 2 week holiday is null and void Wink LOL
latest report
The only skiers/ boarders that shouldn't go to Kopaonik, Serbia are the vegetarian type. Meals without meat DON'T exist!! Evertyhing else about the place is great, the scenery is beautiful and the people are very welcoming.
ski holidays
rayscoops, and Loughor Bridge is East not West Twisted Evil

On a different note. I hadn't appreciated how little mileage there is in Bulgaria et al .... but does get loads of coverage here ... I guess lots must be from 'owners' desperate to rent ?? ( please don't reply and say how easy it is , and how booked up you are Twisted Evil )
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
plectrum, I really like L2A and have been there three times in less than 12 months, and if I want a cheapy in France it is without doubt the place to go but no matter how hard I try I never spend less than £100 a day when averaged out. The lads however need to go out, drink in bars etc (not sit in a little box cooking spag bol and dinking beer Shocked ), generally whoop it up and they would easily spend £200 more in L2A than Bulgaria, easy. The boarding/skiing may not be as good but for a mixed group mainly learning to board (lessons included) the extent of piste will be fine.

Generally you have to squeeze out all the economy aspects of a DIY trip to the alps to even begin to compete in price with Slovenia/Bulgaria etc,.

By the way I thought the Balkans were Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia Very Happy

Rayscoops I agree that there are reasons to visit Bulgaria but again this is off topic. I think though in relation to your example, I still feel strongly that let that group go to Bulgaria for £350 + drinking/dining expenses however cheap it may end up being. Take that same group to Ischgl and i think their experince will be better on the Austrian trip. They may have spent £200 quid per person more but it would have been worth it and so comparitvely speaking I would opt for the latter.

I feel that the benefit of Bulgaria is that you don't need to watch the wallet, where as in Europe if you switch off you can end up spending a fortune.
ski holidays
Agenterre, depends which side of the bridge you are standing on Very Happy I think Bulgaria gets a bit of exposure because like myself we all think it is cr@p but have never actually been there wink and those that have only been there think it is ok for similar reasons, a bit like in Hitchikers Guide .....humans thinking they are the cleverest bods on earth becasue they have split the atom, and dolphins thinking they themselves are the cleverest bods on earth for exactly the same Very Happy
ski holidays
plectrum, i was trying to pursuade the lads to go to L2A Very Happy , but they booked Bulgaria - I am just on the edge of the group and may well have to tag along Sad
snow report
Can I offer a way of looking at the Bulgaria debate from my current point of view.

My wife wants to go on lots of summer beach holidays, she will stay anywhere for the privilege and put up with anything.
I want to go on lots of Skiing holidays, I will stay anaywhere for the privilege and put up with anything.

Compromise.

Manage to go skiing, although maybe not the best in the world, but book a 5 star hotel and live like a pop star and keep the wife happy and in comfort.
She doesn`t ski as much as me - but she then can do the spa thing and shop cheap etc.
For example. " No I am afraid I cant come up the mountain on the first lift dear, I have a manicure booked for 9 and a salt bath just after that. You go up without me, go and ski all those scary runs that I fall over on. I will meet you at lunch time and we can eat together, as long as I have time - otherwise you will have to carry on without me" - or even "me and the girls are going to Sofia shopping for the day, you guys go and enjoy yourself"

I have missed so many oppurtunities to get at least some slope time, it is now good to be able to afford to get some time in and keep everyone happy. Also as a result of this my wifes skiing is gradually improving and she is starting to look at the holidays in a different light. Gently does it and soon she will complain about the skiing available and suggest booking to one of the "Super" Ski areas

Not wanting to appear sexist, this senario is equally as relevant for a skiing wife with a non skiing husband. If you are a couple that go on holiday together and both will do anything or go anywhere to get quality skiing in then you are very lucky indeed.
snow report
rayscoops, Embarassed I was being naughty Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Dek, fair point, top end trips are still cheap compared with Alps top end trips - one could probably even fit in a trip with the girlfriend too for the same price as a trip to the Alps Very Happy
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
rayscoops, Embarassed I was being naughty Twisted Evil
i know Very Happy so was I. Any skiing in the Baltics btw ??

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 20-11-07 12:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Dek,

I think you made a good point.
snow report
Dek, Good point, no doubt you both will have good holidays.

Completely off topic but.... Are there any owners from Bansko in particular on this forum. I would like to know how many weeks have been rented, as a friend of mine has so far only got three weeks; and he is taking one of them! I also this morning got some spam from an estate agent wanting me to invest a sum of €49K (starting price) in a 5* community called Alpen Lodge. I wouldn't be tempted because of my mates occupancy rates.
ski holidays
plectrum wrote:
lynseyf

"According to the most commonly used border, Slovenia lies to the north of the Balkans and is considered a part of Central Europe. Historically and culturally, it is also more related to Central Europe, although the Slovenian culture also incorporates some elements of Balkan culture."

My 2 week holiday was in Slovakia, 1 week in Slovenia, keep up! rolling eyes NehNeh wink NehNeh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lynseyf wrote:
plectrum wrote:
lynseyf

My 2 week holiday was in Slovakia, 1 week in Slovenia, keep up! rolling eyes NehNeh wink NehNeh

Well that isn't even in the Balkans so .... enough with the misleading communist propanda Shock)
snow report
Come on lynseyf, and plectrum, dont let it die, its great fun. Would appear that the rally is still continuing, ball is isn your court lynseyf, .

Can anyone help me with my request re: Alpen Lodge. Interested in owners in the resort and rentals you have booked for this season.
snow report
Roy Hockley,

http://www.discoverrevelstoke.com/

phenomenally beautiful, home to some of the greatest heliskiing and currently present to a massive influx of infrastructure, investment and potential.

Balkans zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, There are loads of companies selling off-plan apartments in Bansko, there must be upto 10,000 units maybe in the pipeline and I can not believe new rental demand will in any way cover that number of units in the short term, but they are aiming at the 2013 (i think) winter Olympics and maybe over the next 10 years demand will steadily climb as the resort profile becomes better and infrastructure is improved and expanded
snow report
rayscoops, I know the long haul investment argument. I need an answer to my question from an owner in Bansko, How many weeks have they rented THIS coming season. Naturally it would be cowdoo to invest in a property in the hope that I will get 16 weeks occupancy in 10 years time! Mortgages have to be paid this month and every coming month until 2013.

As you are aware to win an olympic bid involves a lot of unsavoury antics. The proud bergers of Lausanne view the members of the IOC as nepotistic club. Scandals over bribes etc. from organising commitees are known to most. So Bansko may not be successful in their bid. No doubt they will not give anyone a brown paper bag of if they are Irish politicians a suitcase full of £'s, €'s or $'s. (An in joke to any of our Irish snowHead 's)
snow report
Interesting! Something wrong with my keyboard! I did not write "cowdoo", I wrote bull***t! wink
snow conditions
Roy Hockley, a one bed brand new apartment with 'wellness' near the lifts of 100 km of piste/riding for £40 grand did nor seem too bad, I was seriously thinking about it - interest and costs etc may have been £3000 a year, free use myself quite a few times a year (must be worth £1,500 to me) and a bit of holiday let too may get close to covering most of it, ............... then I thought naaahhhh Very Happy

I do not think any private ski apartments are generally good financial investments, more a 'way of life' investment, and I would prefer some where like Austria. Very Happy

It would be good to get some real idea of actual ocupancy though Very Happy
ski holidays
I am trying to persuade other half to visit Montenegro (we have a friend with property out there). Looks like a long trip to get there, but Zabljak already has half a metre of snow so I hope by Feb half term there will still be plenty. Has anyone been before? My friend, who is from there, says passes are around 5 euros a day, kit hire 7, food and drink cheap. As a family we are limited to school holidays when traditional resorts are way too expensive. Also - only learners, had a week in Norway up to now, one mountain, one run, fabulous views but no apres ski (apres anything come to think of it!)Loved it though and keen to get back on the snow.Thanks.
ski holidays
snow jane, Zabljak is a stunning little town and while the ski infrastructure won't win any awards for efficeny or scale, its sufficent for a few days. Enjoy. There should be mountains of snow in Feb. The town is on a high plateau that is snow covered from December to April. I went once for a weekend break in June and as there had been snow just before we arrived, the hiking turned into a skiing trip.
latest report
rayscoops, I was lucky, I have to admit when I bought in France. I find that the month of February (4 half term weeks) pays the mortgage. Another 2 weeks pays managment fees and tax's. Luck not skill in buying at the time, I obviously could not see the increase in propety value then.

€50 K does seem a lot of bang for your buck, but I am hearing horror stories about renting. This is why I am asking for actual rental weeks taken this year. I also heard that certain estate agents renting your place out give as much as €130 per week for accomodation sleeping 4/5! There is the rub, appears little return unless you are renting 35 weeks a year. This from my experience is not achievable.

snow jane, Welcome to snowHead 's. I know what you mean about one hill and one run in Norway. The Mrs. grew up on one such hill, funny she never got bored but once you progress from just getting down, you can and will find ways of improving your technique on the same slope again and again and again and again. I on the other hand have 650Km of slope 5mtrs from the apartment door and I cant ski anything like the viking! I often say that if Mrs. RH skis at my level, I would be like a first week skier just perfecting the snowplough! I will never progress to that level but you will have fun on any slope and any mountain just as I do.

Enjoy the sport. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
stanton wrote:
Its a bit like someone saying Im thinking of going to Soldeu (Andorra) and ends up going to St Moritz Very Happy

Soldeu has a more modern lift system.
snow report
Steady on RobW, , A certain long suffering pessemistic snowHead will be very upset with you!!!! wink He believes the said Swiss resort is the muts nuts ! I had a better holiday in Soldeu than I did in St Moritz, I did however suffer from Kidney Stones there and my view may be jaundiced.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy