Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
We are traveling to Zermatt in Feb 07 and will be staying at the Hotel Matterhornblick for 7 nights. We have never been to Europe. There will be one skiier, one good snowboarder, one intermediate snowboarder. We are interested in any information about what European skiing will be like in comparision with US or Canada (i.e. what the conditions, slopes, flat areas to avoid, people,) Also, any other recommendations about where to eat, what to see and do.

We have skiied all over the US including Canada including Colorado, Utah, California, Tennessee, North Carolina, Oregon, Whistler, Banff and Idaho. If anyone would like know anything about some resorts in these states, feel free to ask.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gman, I've never skied the US, so can't compare....but the thing that Zermatt has, that you don't get anywhere else, is the amazing views of the Matterhorn (The skiing's pretty good too snowHead )

Conditions will depend on what the season is like...although so far, so good. The ski area is split into a couple of different areas - they all link up, but have their own charachteristics. The Gornergrat has a mountain railway as the "lift" which is a different experience. It's not the fastest way to get up a mountain, but it's a relaxing way to take in the scenery. Further round there is a cable car up to the Kleine Matterhorn, and from there you can ski down into Italy. The Italian side is quite different to the Swiss. The lift system is older and they haven't discovered toilets Shocked but there are some nice intermediate runs over there.

What to see.....the Matterhorn of course.

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
welcome to snowHead

here are a few trip reports to Zermatt, also try doing a search on Zermatt from the header at the top of the page 'search forum'

hope you enjoy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=317932
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=95538
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=562113
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth B,
Quote:

they haven't discovered toilets

Thankyou for this invaluable tip. I will make sure I've been before we head that way Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a sign at the bottom of the Kleine Matterhorn lift that says something along the lines of "these are the last set of toilets". I assumed that it meant that there were none at the top, but having visitied a restaurant on the Itailian side and only found a hole in the floor, I decided that it was deliberately worded rather than a poor translation Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gman,

We stayed in the Matterhornblick last christmas, you have chosen well. The owners are really friendly and helpful.
A great location also, as its a little away from the main street and adjacent to the bus stop. Nice Wellness facilities also.

Hope you enjoy it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gman, I ski a fair amount in the US and Canada. I think you have made a great choice in going to Zermatt. Charming town, Great Mountains, Good skiing and great eating on the hill - way better mountain restaurants than I have encountered in North America. Many people feel Zermatt is the place to go for on-the-hill eating. Chez Vrony, Zum See etc. The other main differences for me are the magnitude of the top-to-bottom distance (huge) and the absence of trees except on the very lowest slopes.

Have a good one.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother, Couldn't agree more, with every word.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B wrote:
There is a sign at the bottom of the Kleine Matterhorn lift that says something along the lines of "these are the last set of toilets". I assumed that it meant that there were none at the top, but having visitied a restaurant on the Itailian side and only found a hole in the floor, I decided that it was deliberately worded rather than a poor translation Cool

There are now pay toilets at the arrival point of the top of the KM cable car. The nearest Italian toilet is in the Rifugio at Plateau Rosa, proper toilets, free and with seats.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
snowbunny, welcome to sn ..... uh, I mean congrats on 8000 posts Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gman, hello and welcome etc.

The size of the ski area will seem huge after the States/Canada but the number of runs for a given acreage is a lot less so the runs don't feel quote so samey. You might feel a bit claustrophobic on some of the slopes compared to S/C, especially if you hit school half term. As already mentioned, very few trees and the top to bottom is very impressive.

You've also picked a very good time for the snow but it will be busy. I'm a skier so flat spots aren't such an issue but I can't remember having to skate any where so the boarders should be fine.

The mtns do stay open longer than S/C and there's also a great place near the bottom you can stop for a beer or vin chaud. Just remembered, right at the very bottom going in to town the boarders will have to walk about 100m.

One aspect you will take some getting used to is the lift lines or scrums as they can become. Nothing like as civilised as S/C.

Take the opportunity to go over to Italy and on the way, assuming you go by the cable car, go up to the viewing platform for superb 360 degree view.

Other than that the town is great, very compact and lively. Very cosmopolitan and some superb er . . . scenery. Just wander up and down and take your pick for restaurants.

Can't remember the name of the busiest bar but it's pretty hard to miss. There's a street just opposite, if you go up there couple of 100 yards or so there's a good pizza place. Just looked up your hotel, you're right in the centre of it but just far enough away from the main drag I think.

One final think, getting up the hill in the morning or even getting on the free bus can be a pain. Either get up early or take one of the electric taxis.

Have a great time. You chose well.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lets hope the following forecast is accurate Wink

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Switzerland/Zermatt_snow.html
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All the above are right about the difference in scale, European resorts are far larger in scale than the US ones. You'll also notice a huge difference in the lifts, the US tends to rely more on chairs and has a lot more fast lifts, Zermatt has a fair few fast lifts but is a lot more varied, you'll be in gondolas, cable cars and even trains on the mountain.

The big difference for me though is the attitude. Skiing in the US is far more civilised, lift queues are well ordered, the pistes are well groomed and controlled, anything in bounds is avalanche safe and they love those 'ski fast lose pass' signs.

In Europe you can ski like a nutter, anywhere you like on-piste or off and nobody will bat an eye - of course all at your own risk (and at the risk of the poor sods you crash into). You can even do it after 3 lunchtime bottles of red if thats your thing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Should say you picked a great resort though and as its German speaking as opposed to French (warning: massive generalisation coming...) you'll get fantastic US standard service from wonderful friendly locals.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
levart,
Quote:

Should say you picked a great resort though

You can say that again. Zermatt is my favourite place anywhere!
snow conditions
they don't sell cigarettes up on the glacier, this obviously should affect your decision. It ruined one of my days Sad
latest report
Italian Toilets!

Nobody sh*ts in Italy. They all get the 3 chairlifts up from Cervinia so that they can sh*t in Switzerland. I think its duty-free or something.

Zermatt is cool though. Huge, varied area and great snow. Great views. feels like a full-on, proper alpine experience with massive mountains, cosy mountain cehelts and great slopes. Good intermediate runs in Italy not to be missed and some great grub (Chalet Etoile above Plan Maison). Main lifts just as good as Zermatt. Slower chairs disappearing elsewhere.

PS: Don't get caught in the end-of-day queues to Kleine Matterhorn. can be an hour long wait of Italians all returning from the swiss toilets I think. Very Happy
ski holidays
gman, I'm sure you'll enjoy Zermatt - the Matterhorn is IMHO the most photogenic mountain in the world! Cool . The museum in Zermatt is worth a visit for the story of the first ascent of the Matterhorn by Edward Whymper and the tragic accident on the descent - the broken rope is on display in the museum! Sad
On a lighter note, as others have said Zermatt is well known for its excellent mountain restaurants, my favourite is Chez Vrony on the Sunnega ski area. As regards apres-ski, I think the name of the bar which 666 couldn't remember is the North Wall bar - very popular Very Happy

I see that you're from Tennessee - have you skied at Obergatlinburg? Toofy Grin . I drove through there a few summers back when I was touring the Smoky Mountains Madeye-Smiley .
latest report
I think 666 and Alastair Pink, as well as referring to the North Wall Bar, are trying to remember the Hennu Stall, an amazing converted farm building with superb apres music and a bonfire outside, all on the edge of the last run down from the Matterhorn areas.

Awesome resort, tainted only by the loooooonnnnnnggggg journeys back to the top between runs and, er, Cervinia Twisted Evil.
latest report
Going to Zermatt ourselves for the 1st time for the New Year and can't wait. Feel I've got to stick up for Cervinia a bit though as I was there in March and had a great time on the hill. I encountered the hole in the floor bog ( unfortunately one of the first you come to on the Ventina from the Plateau Rosa) but this is not representative of the rest of the mountain which is on a par with most non-Austrian resorts for sanitary facilities ie not fabulous but tolerable. The aforementioned 7km Ventina run is a blast, varied and with great views, the Valtournanche area is also very scenic and usually uncrowded.

I am ready to be knocked out by Zermatt and hope you have a great time too!
snow report
Alastair: pink yes I learned how to ride at gatlinburg in 1998. my friend had a job working for the guy that ownes the ski store on the hill who is from switzerland. He gave me a free lesson and pass. Notice I say THE ski store. Gatlinburg is small and icey. I liked it though that first time. Would not go back. I go to Beach and Sugar in N.C. I live real close to Banner Elk.
Sounds like you guys eat a lot of stuff thak makes you sh*t. Me to thanks for the advice. Here almost all the toilets are at end of hill and then a walk up or down stairs. We have lots of trees though. For the guys.

Stab: I am my frist week on the wagon but if I fall of that will be a good bit of advice.

Now all I need to know is how do you get on the lift if people brake line. That would get you in a fight here. If someone butts in frount of me do I let them? Will I have to be rude to someone to get a ride?
ski holidays
Charlatanefc : Cool pics. PARTY!!! Tony looks like a wild man.
ski holidays
stab wrote:
they don't sell cigarettes up on the glacier, this obviously should affect your decision. It ruined one of my days Sad

Hey man I saw your web page. Cool dude. What else are you smoking? Where do all the cool kids go in zermatt ?
ski holidays
gman wrote:
Now all I need to know is how do you get on the lift if people brake line. That would get you in a fight here. If someone butts in frount of me do I let them? Will I have to be rude to someone to get a ride?

if you snowboard you can put your board sideways in the queue, block people from passing you, they will still try to get over the board though, then you can shout at them "do you see a f$##%king rental sticker on this? some people buy their own equipment" This normally sorts it out.
It's basically a free for all at the lift, if you be polite you'll never get on.

I go to Papperla pub when I'm there, dunno about much else.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
free for all in the lift Q ay! does this mean you pack and bring an aggression in the Q manner? aint a fan of bad etiquette Twisted Evil !!
ski holidays
gman,

Good question about the lifts... just be determined to make ground, just shuffle on and don't let anyone pass unless you have to. The thing is that everyone accepts they want to get on quickly so don't object if you have the same attitude.
The continentals don't get the concept of a queue..... so expect a scrum for buses and lift lines at least. The way they drive is the way they are... Laughing
ski holidays
will have to bring a roll of blank sticky labels and write the ol "i am a cockhead" label and stick it on their backs as they barge through! problem is, by the sound of it i need a fat ass roll of blank labels... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
gman, place is fantastic. Give me a shout nearer the time, and I'll point you in the right direction
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the main problem with lifts is they dont fill up the seats, so a 4 seat lift might have 3 people, the next one 2 people, then a snowboarder nobody wants to sit next to, then 3 etc etc. If you're on your own this does your nut in as people don't think to let people from behind pass.
Some lifts where I am have express woosh lanes for individuals although most people just think you're pushing in and the drama starts.
Tip for skiers - don't start grief in the queues with snowboarders, you have both feet attached to skis, snowboarders only have one attached, if a skier goes down he aint getting up again, seen it a few times.
ski holidays
gman, European lift queues are a bit difficult for the average American, who usually like to have a bit more personal space around the flesh. Smile

If you don't take up the space between you and the person in front, someone else will take that space up. And just because you don't think there's enough space there for a body doesn't mean someone else will not try to squeeze in. Wink

The trick is to take up the "access" to that space to protect it. Sometimes that's not possible because they can come left and right... But that lead to the other time-tested and well-known advace for queues: go to the outside, it moves a lot faster there. And you only need to "protect" your space from one side.
latest report
Sounds like a rock concert. Everybody pushing their way to the stage. Well, I guess I can handle that but the wife may be left behind. Problem is she won't be too happy about that. Thanks for the tips though. I have a pretty good idea what to expect. Mad rush to the lifts and watching out for crazy people http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif riding down the hill. Sounds like it's going to be fun.http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/images/smiles/icon_skele-smile.gif
snow report
gman,

You will not regret it and I am sure your wife will love the place. Can't really fail to, IMO

Just don't give ground in the queue, and she will be ok............ not as civilised as what you are used to in that respect.
It isn't ignorant so much as different
snow conditions
I can't remember having too many scrums in the lift lines last year.
My way of stopping people push past is planting my poles in the ground and using them as armrests with my elbows levelled at stomach level.
Seems to work

Twisted Evil
latest report
abc, always good to team up with others and post 'blockers' left and right to avoid being out flanked in the queue Very Happy only time when children are useful on ski trips Very Happy
snow report
JT,
Quote:

not as civilised as what you are used to in that respect

..err yep and then some.

gman, as an American you'll be used to singles, pair, triples and quad lines... in short some form of organisation.

Oh dear.

What you'll find in Europe is survival of the rudest rules - push, shove, stab anyone who annoys you with a ski pole, stand on ski tails/boards, blow your Marlboro smoke in everyone's face and if you can sneak down the inside, outside, over the top then great. Thats what the (mainland!) Europeans do, if you want to get on a lift you'll have to do it to.

Having said that Zermatt is definitely one of the best for politeness and order.
snow conditions
Google Earth overlay of runs and lifts

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Number=845665
snow conditions
I never skied in Europe in Feb. So I did not find the queue too much, except that "squeeze" part. I experienced none of the step on ski tail, poking poles etc. And apart from one mistake of being caught in the "inside" of a funnel to the tram, most queues took less than 10 minutes, if that.

Even as a transplanted American, I found have trouble with people actually standing right next to me flesh-to-flesh, where in NA they would leave a respectable space. Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy