Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss snow conditions

Poster: A snowHead
He's there from 14 Feb to 24 Feb as I recall.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Powderhound, ah, I knew 14th but not 24th
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
14th to 23rd Feb everyone
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Folks, if we plan now for one of the 2 Fridays Frosty is around - i.e. 15th or 22nd Feb, then both of us will be able to organise the day off and we can do it in either HY or Flumsi while it's quiet
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skilift Brunni on Saturday with my 5 year old daughter (the perfect place to perfect a snowplough BTW). And then Hoch Ybrig this morning. Piste conditions are very good - grippy packed powder. The return to Weglosen was not too bad. A bit icey near the bottom. Off piste is rock hard though and doesn't bare much resemblance to the photos above any more.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty, check out the train times on www.rail.ch. (Unterterzen to "Hoch-Ybrig, Talst. Laucheren") It looks like a 2+ hour journey though. It would be about 1:20 by car from Tannenbodenalp.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 27-01-08 22:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty, I can always pick you up from Richti if you get the train to there

Nessy, you going to join us?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eng_ch, it would be cool but I would probably be restricted to the weekend of the 16th,17th. Off on holiday the following weekend Smile Flumsi or Hoch Ybrig may not actually be so busy on the weekend then as a lot of day trippers will be away doing their proper ski holiday.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nessy, when do the ISCZ finish their stuff at Flumsi?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch, next weekend (Feb 2-3rd) is the last one
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nessy, ah, should be a bit better after that then.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are arouind that weekend - 16th/17th - as we have cousins and their brood staying for the week...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch, Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that. Does anyone favour either friday ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sattel-Hochstuckli seemed to be claiming most new snow so I took advantage of the 23CHF morning ticket. The 25cm new powder was not bottomless but not unpleasant Smile The red run back to base was open but looked a bit brown so I took the gondola back down.

The weather coming up looks a mixed bag again with more Föhn. Snow between 1300-700m on Wednesday but otherwise quite mild again.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was out in Stoos on Saturday.
Weather lovely and sunny. Pistes not in bad condition, but quite icy in places and one or two almost-bare patches (brown-shadows Sad ). I got more scrapes in my board in a day than I'd gotten in several weekends elsewhere!
To the sides of the pistes the snow cover was pretty patchy and what snow was there was quite hard.
On the plus side, it seemed to be cold enough to preserve the snow, and conditions were only a bit slushy right down a the Stoos village level .

Last weekend in Flumserberg (9th Feb) things were very busy indeed, but piste quality was generally good (packed, but well tended and not in fact icy, for the most part). Nothing fresh, but reasonable and fun conditions (though (inevitable) crowds were a bit of a pain).

Michael
ski holidays
michaelc, still not too icy today in Flumserberg only slightly soft/slushy down in Tannenheim today I'm pleased to say, its still very sunny but fairly cold. The crowds were here yesterday but I think the Zurich school holidays are over today so monday will be quiet if I'm right. Anyone out here in the next 7 days just pm to meet up.
snow conditions
Frosty, I might see if I can get down Thurs - waiting on a deadline confirmation though

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 18-02-08 7:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Frosty, I'm afraid the holidays go on for another 2 weeks yet. I was at Flumsi today. Conditions are definitely hard now with the occasional bit of ice. I saw a Brit registered people carrier heading down the mountain a bit before 8:00. Was that you?

It was about as crowded as it gets today. I didn't even bother with the queue for the Leist chair. Going home at 12:00 they seemed to be stopping cars in Flums itself.
latest report
On Wednesday I took a day off work to take advantage of the snow and went to Flumserberg.
Great day!
Visibility a bit poor at times, but I won't complain about that as the snow was really lovely, and continued to fall in light showers for most of the day. There was enough fresh stuff that only on very steep sections was underlying ice showing through. Enough soft powder on the edges of the pistes for me to do a bit of beginner powder riding. Had piste to myself quite a lot too, which was lovely after so many crowded saturdays/sundays.

Not sure (through ignorance) how much of an addition to the cover the new snow is (by the time it's bashed down and so on), but for today it was great. snowHead
snow report
michaelc, sunshine forecast tomorrow

nessy, only just seen your post, people carrier was not us as we were carless this trip, arrived by train. Things do get a bit crazy at weekends here but during the week its often very quiet with few lift lines. Remember I did a season in Morzine, I know ALL about queueing wink Sorry we missed you, again !!
latest report
Sunday in Flumserberg was beautiful and sunny. Snow generally in good condition, no powder around like just after the last snowfall, but pistes very good. Not too crowded either. Some patches were a bit spring-snow/slushy at times, depending on sun. I believe it was a bit icy around 8am when lifts opened, but grand at 9:30 when I made my first run.

Overall, was a great day to be on the mountains. snowHead
snow report
michaelc, was there at 8. It was hard but not icy Smile And we managed to find some powder. Definitely a lot quieter now despite the great weather and conditions

Seems to be some precipitation coming from Wednesday. Whether it is snowing at village level is unclear though.
snow report
A question for the locals:

I often ski for just a morning. In Flumserberg I can buy a Stundenkarte and get 4 hours skiing for 43CHF which is not a huge discount on the day ticket. Hoch Ybrig has no such morning or hourly ticket so there I have to buy a day ticket Sad

When I was redeeming the unused part of my Stundenkarte yesterday I noticed the people behind me in the queue buying a ticket from some other guy who was leaving. This obviously benefits both parties (except the lift co who lose out on at least 30CHF) but do you think this is acceptable? They weren't very discrete about it, doing it right in front of the kiosk!
ski holidays
nessy, I'm not surprised it happens, I have a season pass so have no experience of this but I guess the lift company doesn't lose a lot of revenue as you will probably not always find a buyer for your "afternoon" before leaving the resort and I think it almost impossible to police without a photo ID which day tickets don't have (am I right about that ?). Whether its acceptable is a matter for an individuals conscience I guess. Have you costed out the Meiles Weiss which includes the Hoch and Flums areas (and 6 others)
latest report
Frosty, unfortunately the breakeven point of a season ticket goes beyond the number of day trips that I make Sad If we were also to do a 6 day holiday within the ticket area it might be different.
latest report
Just back from a week in Saas Fee. Snow started at village at 1800m and was hard packed from middle station Morema(2500m) downwards. However upper slopes esp on glacier were excellent since top station Allalin was 3500m. Had a light fall in village last Wednesday which produced 15 cms at the top which was very welcome - said to be first snow in 6 weeks.
Since I had injured my knee at Christmas could not ski very fast so conditions suited me fine. However all may change with snow falls this week.
snow report
Flumserberg Saturday:
Snow conditions not bad. hard packed and crunchy first thing in the morning, softened up dramtically during the day. At Prodalp, (1576m) the temperature was 12C in the afternoon (according to the display over the lifts, and in agreement with the Flumserberg weather forecast). The weather was beautiful, in any case, and the crowds were pretty low in fact. Pistes all fine, no bare patches that i noticed.

I took a lesson in the morning, and the instructor said it had been raining during the week,

So could be better, but a great day out nonetheless. snowHead
snow report
Davos, thurs 20th.

Snowing on and off all day, but also sunny with great visability - go figure.... -15c at the parrsennhutte at 2500m so Kalt enough, no pistes in the morning, everything under powder but the main runs skied out to piste by afternoon. great day... can't really comment on crowds as it's my first time but no queues anywhere on the main area of Parrsenn so quiet I guess. Lot's of D plated S-Klass Mercs rolling into town tonight though so Easter may be busier.

1 comment on davos - their snow-making sucks! it's the nasty old gloopy rubbish that cannons used to produce 15 years ago - OK they don't have much cos they don't need it much, but the contrast today between cold crisp snow and that ghastly porridge right at the bottom of the Parrsenn was scary

Forecast for tomorrow is major whiteout dump... I'll try to update this later over the weekend.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A great morning at Flumserberg. Nothing but sun but as cold as it has been any time this season. Loads of fresh snow even on the pistes. Of course the pistes got pretty bumpy so best to avoid them Smile Certainly should be plenty of snow to see out the end of the season now.
latest report
nessy, I'm out next week from tuesday until friday, anyone want to bunk off work and join me ??
latest report
Bluebird powder day in Hoch-Ybrig today until about 2.30, then snow. According to Powderhound, who knows what he's doing, it was champagne powder, waist-deep first thing. Personally I spent far too much time taking the snowHead motto a tad too literally Wink

Frosty, define "next week"? This current 4-day week? If so, Rutschen and Powderhound were talking about finding some powder together on Friday, which will be beyond me yet (at their level) so if you're around then, we could maybe hook up?
snow report
eng_ch, are you in laax the week of 29th till 3rd? am gonna be taking lots of photo's and would b e glad of someone to have a little ride with too if you fancy meeting up on piste or a beer if you fancy apres!
ski holidays
eng_ch, same down over here... -12c. Am I right in thinking that's important to give the champagne factor?
snow report
snowangel., almost certainly around w/e of 29th/30th - let's touch base. Where you staying?
snow conditions
It's been a good few days/weeks here with snow arriving and being constantly topped up, even if it has a tendency to melt quite quickly. Another 80cm forecast for the end of this week in time for the weekend.

Was in St Anton on Thursday and had a good day with indifferent weather and heavy snow but good coverage of the ground. However, this was Friday here at HY where we covered as much ground and the snow was, well, champagne!!
ski holidays
and just to put it into perspective...
snow report
nice pictures!
ski holidays
Powderhound, me likes
snow conditions
Powderhound, what stunning photos!
ski holidays
Powderhound, presumably you are going to enter the HY BestPhotos competition
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy