Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bansko - ridiculous question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
.. to which I really should know the answer, but realise I don't: language. Presumably they speak Bulgarian - but is that written in cyrillic script? To my shame I know nothing of the Bulgarian language - what is it most closely related to? (deep down I have an inkling it's a romance language). Would a working knowledge of the cyrillic alphabet therefore be of use, or totally redundant?
Linguists, please help!
Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bulgarian uses the same Cyrillic alphabet as Russian. There are a lot of similarities. Most people speak Russian, though they prefer not to. If you can read Cyrillic, you can get around OK.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can’t see the point if you can read Cyrillic but you don’t understand what is actually written! If you go to a ski resort most of the people there speak English not fluently but combined with the gestures they make with their hands you can pretty much understand what they are talking about. DON'T ASK OLD PEOPLE QUESTIONS IF YOU DONT WANT TO SPEND THE NEXT ONE HOUR STANDING THERE WHILE HE IS EXPLAINING YOU THE HISTORY OF BANSKO AND HOW QUIET WAS BEFORE 10-20-30 YEARS IN BULGARIAN:D
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The point of being able to read Cyrilic is that you can find your way around and recognise place names from signboards at stations etc. I once found myself in Leningrad with just Bev and we toured the city going by names on underground stations. I realise the language takes a little more!

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SERJOE wrote:
I can’t see the point if you can read Cyrillic but you don’t understand what is actually written!D

I've traveled to places where they don't use english alphabets (Greece, Japan, India). I can tell you it makes a big difference if you can recognize the written words (better yet, able to pronounce it), without having to actually understand what they mean.

Granted, if everyone there speaks English, that's ok. But able to read and memorize name of places means you'll need to ask directions only half as many times as if you can't read.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Bish wrote:
Bulgarian uses the same Cyrillic alphabet as Russian. There are a lot of similarities. Most people speak Russian, though they prefer not to. If you can read Cyrillic, you can get around OK.

snowHead

It might use the same alphabet, but Bulgarian is a lot different from Russian. My wife is Bulgarian, but can hardly speak a word of Russian. I can't speak a word of either!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
uktrailmonster, Russian was compulsory in Bulgarian schools during the Communist era. Most Bulgarians of my acquaintance pretend to know none!

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That explains why her parents can speak Russian then. But it must be significantly different to Bulgarian if my wife can't understand it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
uktrailmonster beat me to it. Bulgarian and Russian is very very different. Most Bulgarians dont have a clue about the Russian language! Granted they use the same alphabet but then so does the UK and France! The cyrillic alphabet was actually invented by Bugaria. (OMG how geeky do I sound)!!!!

To answer your question poma, recognition of the alphabet could be of assistance in a few instances, especially if you were to travel outside of Bansko. In Bansko though pretty much everywhere has an English translation and most hotels, restaurants etc have English speaking staff. Recognition of the alphabet and a basic grasp of the usual nicities, hello, how are you, yes, no, thank you etc will get a very warm reception from the local Bulgarians.

Here are a few to get you started with the phonetics in brackets

Hello (zdravay) здраваи
How are you (kaksy) как си
Yes (Da) Да
No (Nay) Не
Please (Molya) Моля
Thank you (Blagodarya) Благодаря
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glynis wrote:

Hello (zdravay) здраваи
How are you (kaksy) как си
Yes (Da) Да
No (Nay) Не
Please (Molya) Моля
Thank you (Blagodarya) Благодаря

Easy hey! Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glad you think so. Are you ready for your next lesson!!!!!! Twisted Evil
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do you know the Bulgarian for:

Help. There is no electricity in this room.
Help, there is no hot water, except in the toilet.
Help, I would like a hotel without prostitutes in the lobby please.
Help, please can you ask the construction workers in the next room to stop drilling through my wall.
Help, the real estate agents will not leave me alone.
Help, I bought an appartment to rent but there have never been any renters
Help, I bought an appartment, I now wish to sell it, how do I find a real estate agent who won't laugh at me?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is this a test? wink

Pomosht... Niama tok v staiata.
Pomosht... Niama topla voda ,osven v toaletnata.
Pomosht... Az iskam hotel bez prostitutki v lobi bara.
Pomosht... Molia pomolete rabotnitsite da sprat da duptchat moiata stena.
Pomosht... Agentsiata ne me ostvia na mira.
Pomosht... Az kupix apartament da go davam pod naem no miamashe.
Pomosht... Az kupix apartament ,sega izkam da go prodam kak da nameria agentsia koiata da me prieme na seriozno. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy