Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

forget shaped carver, upgrade fat powder ski

Poster: A snowHead
Latchigo, Which would you rather went over your leg at 30 kph, a standard ski edge which once the edge had cut through the skin, had a pressure area of perhaps 1.5cm by 10cm with a relatively shallow profile, or a sharpened fin which has a knife like profile, and perhaps a 3mm x 5cm pressure area? ie For a 75kg skier (including kit and bindings) 6kg per cm2 vs 60kg per cm2. (back-of-a-beermat calculations)

I think you can work out which would penetrate more deeply and cause more neurovascular injuries.

I think these are really dangerous, and I think the video is the lamest sorriest bit of skiing I have seen for ages.

Tom from Austria, you can prove me wrong about safety by saying that you have managed to get public liability insurance for using these, after the insurers had seen what you were skiing on, and product liability insurance for producing them. wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 19-11-07 23:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think you could even get holiday insurance if you told them thats that you would be skiing on !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stoatsbrother wrote:
...that you have managed to get public liability insurance for using these
skates ?

Is Stoatsbrother trying to abolish insurance liability for all British ice-skaters? Skates can cut deeper in human flash than rounded 3mm aluminium fins of Rax skis.

Fortunately are insurance companies more intelligent and wait for statistical material before
calculating the risk.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the guy is trying something a little bit different, can't really see what is so wrong with that. There are certainly more dangerous things going on in the world than a modified pair of skis. Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
plectrum wrote:
Tom from Austria,

Can I ask a question .... when you are on an extremely steep couloir and you are on your edges skidding down a bit becuase it is life threatenly steep. How do you stop these blades jamming into the ice / snow like crampons and sending you hurtling down to your death.

is the most extreme member of Rax family. Big fins are permanently cutting and transmitting
maximum pressure as they are located under the heels.

Well, this 97cm long baby is not suited for groomed piste and our sensible doctor.
But it is the best gear ever for steep couloirs with corn snow ("Firn" = corn snow).

Now, you can ride down many steep couloirs in fall line keeping ski tips high above the terrain
and braking heavily with those terrible front fins.
Or you are crossing the steeps, turn on the short tail by 180°(ski tips turning like windscreen wiper), etc

This baby was tested in summer on 70° steep, 5cm deep corn fields. It keeps the track when crossing the field.

For steep ice we are developing the generation 2008 called "Glacier"- see our homepage.
Naturally you would not have much fun on 70° ice, but 50° may be possible.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 20-11-07 10:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer wrote:
Tom from Austria, congratulations on your entrepreneurial spirit ...
1)What happens when you ski over a submerged rock, as frequently happens off piste? At best the fin would break, at worst it'd break and you'd be thrown off?

2)Similarly as often happens off piste, if you're sat back doing jet turns, and something slows your skis, you're going to be thrown forward, creating instability and also disengaging the fins from the snow.

3)Similarly on extreme steeps, it's going to be very difficult to jump turn these skis with their fins stuck in the snow. If your weight is forwards, then your effective edge is very short.

Thank you, Kramer for your reply and questions.
1)
When fins have been knocked by a rock under the ski,
ski tail shoots in the height and ski tip dashes against the snow
... and you already passed the rock, you are still standing and not knowing why !!
In 1.5 years of testing, no fin broke, but there are several notches visible.

2)
This is the miracle perceived by every novice on very short ski with sharp tail edge like
„Firngleiter“ or „Big Foot“: he/she is running fast over bumps and is wondering why he/she
is still standing.

3)
In very steep chutes above 50 degrees and in difficult snow conditions,
the ski supports a new parallel turn “on the rear fins”.
The skier starts this turn by tilting backwards and slightly downhill, such forcing the skis to “ride on rear fins” for a moment before both ski tips drop downhill and complete the turn.
Rear fins do not lose their grip during the whole turn, giving skier the possibility of a turn-correction or -interruption, e.g. on an unexpected ice spot or a snow-covered obstacle.

In contrast, the recommended freeride turn on very steep slopes requires a vigorous jump
to release the skis edges, the rotation of skis in the air and a heavy landing in an unknown terrain.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeh,Tom from Austria, good luck to you, I will politely eat my words if this idea suceeds
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tom from Austria, you twit. Your analogy is totally ridiculous.

If people could use skates to ski in powder, yes - they would be banned because it is a lot easier to slide over someone who is semi-buried in powder, than on the surface of a hard medium like Ice where the result of an impact is usually a tripping fall... unless you run over a hand - and a past acquaintance working at the Inverness Ice Rink had to hunt and find someones lost finger when a skate went over their hand.

So I can take it you do not have personal or public liability insurance for using these things? rolling eyes

And you still haven't answered the point that you look completely stupid on them in your video.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
why doesn't some one from Snowheads just try them Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, and tell us so we can avoid it. These things would totally void your insurance. Some ideas are so stupid that they really do not deserve to make it past first base.

Perhaps try them on dendix first however? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops wrote:

Yes, who's nearest? - it might be me Shocked .

Tom any chance of a demo somewhere in Lower Austria?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it seems very strange to me that the only video from a supposed 1.5 years of testing. On slopes of 70 degrees etc etc , is the terrible one of a guy flailing around with one pole ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, go for it, I would offer but unfortunately I only ride a tray rather than two samurai swords Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is hard to convey how hard i've just laughed whilst watching that vid clip!
I have to admit as a snowborder I hope the catch on I really do, the thought seeing speeding retards on these brings a great smile to my face! Very Happy

Tom from Austria - get your ass over to the UK and get on Dragons Den - i think your on to a winner!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok, I appreciate that it's probably for the best if this thread sinks whilst ongoing proto testing continues rolling eyes but a great idea has just hatched...

Basically what you've got here is a ski with wheelie bars, right? Tips up ^ there somewhere in normal conditions and a load of meccano at the back. Well you know those Heelys shoes with the roller in? Yep - WHEELS! Stick a rollerblade wheel just in front of the binding in a channel and another on a spring in the dead space in the middle of the bit a the back "et wallah!" as the Aussies say, powder to slush to avalanche chop to TARMAC!

You can seamlessly combine the easy elegance of "Rax" style with the street cred of micro scooters. What's not to like?
ski holidays
DB wrote:
rayscoops wrote:

Yes, next Saturday Nov 24: Hochkar or Semmering? My home Rax is starting Dec 1st.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
DB, go for it, I would offer but unfortunately I only ride a tray rather than two samurai swords Very Happy

Ah glasshopper, the master he has precision weapons whereas the tea boy carries a ...... Wink

Willing to take this challenge for the benefit of snowheads everywhere but obviously not without great concern. Those alluminium blade things at the back could do some damage ....................... to my flourescent once piece fartbag.
snow report
I love this thread.

Tom from Austria you are amazing my brother. Did you get real rich selling something else and then take this up as a hobby. You're truly relentless, I'd give you a job anytime.
snow conditions
robthomp21 wrote:
It is hard to convey how hard i've just laughed whilst .... seeing speeding retards

Tom from Austria - get your ass over to the UK and get on Dragons Den - i think your on to a winner!

So was I laughing as speedy retard, ha,ha,ha.

Welcome you, snowboarder. These skis are not must-be ones you are all hating.

You French colleagues were my best friends as there is no ski-school authority behind me.
Snowboarders prefer being free and different.

Help me for I am not British: what or where is Dragons Den?
snow conditions
Tom from Austria wrote:
DB wrote:
rayscoops wrote:

Yes, next Saturday Nov 24: Hochkar or Semmering? My home Rax is starting Dec 1st.

Semmering hasn't got much if any offpiste and using them onpiste could seriously affect my dentist bills. Hochkar would be better. I'm planning to be in Salzburg for the weekend but might be able to meet up on Saturday on the way over, will drop you a PM. I trust any royalities from the forthcoming video incorporating the new "Raxflap technique" (copyright 2007) will be split with the person taking the most risk (me) being apportionally rewarded.
latest report
Nealglover wrote:
it seems very strange to me that the only video from a supposed 1.5 years of testing. On slopes of 70 degrees etc etc , is the terrible one of a guy flailing around with one pole ?

This 70° slope was not Matterhorn, just a 20m high field in July. But it was really so steep
and the snow was of corn type, 5 cm deep soft snow. And "Extreme Firn" was running "zig-zag"
without much skidding.
One chamois buck could be a witness. But he fled in panic when he saw fast moving human.
This explains why no video was taken.

Poles ? Believe me you should rather hold ice-axes when skiing steeper than 60°.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
... Hochkar would be better. I'm planning to be in Salzburg for the weekend... .

Well, Hochkar. You cannot miss me on the highest car park as a Rax ski holder.

Bring your family !! I mean: your friends, they can taste "Rax feeling" if they like.
ski holidays
Tom from Austria wrote:
Nealglover wrote:

This 70° slope was not Matterhorn, just a 20m high field in July. But it was really so steep
and the snow was of corn type, 5 cm deep soft snow. And "Extreme Firn" was running "zig-zag"
without much skidding.
One chamois buck could be a witness. But he fled in panic when he saw fast moving human.
This explains why no video was taken.

Poles ? Believe me you should rather hold ice-axes when skiing steeper than 60°.

Sorry tom, but I still don't see why you only have video evidence of them looking rubbish ?

And no evidence of them looking like the amazing new ski revolution you seem to think they are ?

If it was me I would make sure I had video of someone swooping effortlessly down a pristine steep slope looking majestic etc etc .

But this footage seems to be missing for some reason ?
snow conditions
Tom from Austria wrote:

Fortunately are insurance companies more intelligent and wait for statistical material before
calculating the risk.

Which means you cannot get cover for them until such statistacel material is available.
latest report
Latchigo wrote:

I would be interested to see it in deep snow or in the end of season firn situation.

Thank you for your interest, Latchigo.

You are invited to see and try them. Deep snow till May makes more fun than firn.

There is no other way to make Rax ski popular
than distribute as much experience as possible throughout the skiing community.

Means skiing together, giving Rax skis away to the best skiers, distributing first series,etc
We should be present between Grenoble and Vienna, in New England and Colorado.
Fixed is StAnton/Arlberg Dec 14-16, Hochkar in East Austria Nov 24.

La Grave is these skis are best suited for. Like Mt.Rax, their birthplace.
snow conditions
Tom from Austria, Fall Line Skiing magazine would love to try them out. I have just the man. Do please get in touch at the email address here - richard@fall-line.co.uk - and we shall set up a suitable demonstration. I solemnly promise that we are going into this with an entirely open mind though perhaps a collectively raised eyebrow. After all, they said the Great Panjandrum would never work....
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
Tom from Austria wrote:

calculating the risk.

Which means you cannot get cover for them until such statistacel material is available.

Of course not. In first years of shaped carvers some kind of provisional risk estimation was applied, based on similar usage.
snow report
Nealglover wrote:
...it seems very strange to me that the only video from a supposed 1.5 years of testing....

Well the reason is that we've abruptly decided to go public without having enough material.
It was easier to take missing pics in summer than videos.
One of you snow heads is to ski with us on Saturday. So there is a chance for new videos.

But Nealglover, the reality and your own experience is more worth than the best presentation.
Presentations use to be cheating
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom from Austria, Thanks for the offer.

Somewhere easier than a 'hot shot' resort like La Grave would be better for an old git like me (and not so much of the leaning back either).

My other excuse is an old war wound.

Having said that, it could make a great option for something like the EOSB. I am sure many would be up for having a go on them. Fallliner was at the 2006 event, so maybe he could do his test there ? His team were great - one of the highlights of that event. When he says he will give it an honest review you can believe him.

Further to stoatsbrother's safety concerns, I have never run someone over on skis, or been run over by skis myself, or seen such an accident on the slopes - though I have seen and been involved in plenty of collisions. So I do not regard it as posing the same threat as a boat propeller does to swimmers or divers.
latest report
Tom from Austria wrote:

Help me for I am not British: what or where is Dragons Den?

Tom "Dragons Den" is a TV programme in the UK where inventors present their idea or invention to a group of business financiers (the Dragons), who, if they are convinced of the merits of the idea, will back it with cash investment in return for a share of the new company. Usually the Dragons are not impressed with the idea or business case and say so clearly (which is part of the fun of the programme Toofy Grin )

Some years ago I had a pair of Kneissl "Big Feet", and used them mainly for a bit of fun on hard pack piste Very Happy . However, I was quite surprised to find that I could ski powder with them by keeping my weight back on the heel. The one type of snow they were useless for though was breakable crust - I tried crossing some and due to the small area and high pressure the big feet broke through the crust, my feet stopped staright away, and I did a magnificent head plant! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Tom from Austria,

What bindings have you got on the skis? Are they adjustable and will they fit a touring sole or does it have to be an alpine ski boot sole?
ski holidays
Quote:

Semmering hasn't got much if any offpiste and using them onpiste could seriously affect my dentist bills. Hochkar would be better. I'm planning to be in Salzburg for the weekend but might be able to meet up on Saturday on the way over, will drop you a PM. I trust any royalities from the forthcoming video incorporating the new "Raxflap technique" (copyright 2007) will be split with the person taking the most risk (me) being apportionally rewarded.

This is much more constructive, than simply sl@gging them off.

DB, may the force be with you. . . . Twisted Evil
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Tom from Austria,

What bindings have you got on the skis? Are they adjustable and will they fit a touring sole or does it have to be an alpine ski boot sole?

Alpine ski boot is good for 14 of our 15 prototypes.
The only exception has a touring binding and will not be available on Saturday,
as it is not in Vienna now.

Another good question would be boot size or -more precisely- the length of boot sole.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:

1) "Dragons Den" is a TV programme in the UK where inventors present their idea or invention to a group of business financiers (the Dragons)....

2) I had a pair of Kneissl "Big Feet", and used them mainly for a bit of fun on hard pack piste Very Happy . However, I was quite surprised to find that I could ski powder with them by keeping my weight back on the heel....
3) The one type of snow they were useless for though was breakable crust -

1) We can start recycling thousands of skis without huge investments.
You are my dragons I am talking to.

2) Alastair Pink, you got the point ! Gratulations !
The automatic weight-balance on BigFoot, Firngleiter and RaxSki works like this:
Falling backwards raises ski tips such pressing ski tails in snow and braking skis sharply.
As a consequence, the weight is transferred forwards abruptly, ski tails are released.
Ski tips absorb this anti-rotation.

Firngleiter is better than BigFoot as it has very sharp tail edge (bob-tail ski).
Snowblades, Carvellinos and to some extent BigFoot missed the point and rounded the tails up. But you cannot run fakie on Firngleiter or RaxSki. You must know what you want.

Rax ski improved this mechanism in two points:
a) falling back is cushioned by sophisticated system consisting of diagonal carrier and fins
b) ski tips are longer to better absorb the dash

3) Breakable crust is allways a problem. But you can certainly imagine that our model "Extreme Firn" has the best chance to break and cleanly track even on crust. Due to huge rear fins.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 29-11-07 12:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Latchigo wrote:
Tom from Austria, Thanks for the offer.

Somewhere easier than a 'hot shot' resort like La Grave would be better .....

Latchigo, some Rax models like "La Fee (means fairy)" or "Slalom Rax" are good for relaxed riding in an idylic tree or on a soft piste,
while others prefer brutality ("Trees&Cliffs Rax").

Thank you for you opinion on Fallliner.
snow report
Tom from Austria,

Please check your snowheads PM (private message) box.
ski holidays
Tom from Austria wrote:

...I will never enter Dragons Den. These investors will come on their knees when this ski is successful.

rolling eyes The five of them are worth a combined £800,000,000 (roughly) I dont really think they get on their knees for Investment opportunities anymore

Laughing
ski holidays
Tom from Austria, are you suggesting you will need a different "rax" for everytype of terrain imaginable? For example after a freeze-thaw situation at the end of the season, you will need to come prepared with 2 sets, one for the hard packed-frozen snow in the morning, and one for the spring snow in the afternoon?
latest report
Rossfra8 wrote:
Tom from Austria, are you suggesting you will need a different "rax" for everytype of terrain imaginable? For example after a freeze-thaw situation at the end of the season, you will need to come prepared with 2 sets, one for the hard packed-frozen snow in the morning, and one for the spring snow in the afternoon?

No, the all-round model "Hard Rax" is perfect for both hard frozen snow and snow piles in the afternoon.
But it is not the best choice everywhere !!
1) It is too long for a terrain with average steepness of > 50°, "Extreme Firn" performs better
2) It is not "sharp" enough on prevailing ice and hard pistes. "Glacier" transmits the whole weight on fins under the heels and cuts through hard surface with less effort than "Hard Rax"
3) Large streamlined fins of "Fast Rax" enhance the direction control at high speed on soft snow
4) Powder prefers wider tips of "Powder Rax" for easier surfing
5) Smoother and smaller fins of the entry model are better for learning
6) Before you ride down Matterhorn, replace aluminium by steel fins

All Rax kids love soft bumps. Ice was rather a problem, before "Glacier" appeared.
It was first tested 5 days ago. May be a new universal model.
Ice biting baby requires no leaning back (no photo yet)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 21-11-07 19:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 brian
brian
Ok, where's the candid camera ? Top marks for that vid though Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy